Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-14-2001, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Default What Motor?

My 94 year old Granny passed away in Dec and I ended up with her 73 Duster. It has a slant 6 225. I replaced the 1 bbl intake with a 2 bbl off a super six. Installed a holley 2300 series 350 cfm carb. It runs a hell of alot better than it did, but I have the need for speed. I am a long time Ford owner and really dont know the ins and outs of Mopars, yet. I want to install a v-8 small block. I was told that I would not have to change the k-member. Is this true? Also I cant figure out if I want to install a 318 or a 360. Someone told me a 318 bottom end with a set of 360 heads was the way to go. How much more power would I gain over the 318 by going with the 360? Does the 360 cost that much more to build? Wich years have the best blocks,cranks, heads?
Old 09-14-2001, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

Welcome Doobiemon, to the world of Mopars.

First:
if you have a choice between a 360 and a 318 then forget about the 318. 360 is almost the same engine with few differences in internal rotating dimensions and it doesn't cost you more to rebuild. It might even be cheaper because 360 is more popular.

Second:
K needs no replacing. SB with proper ears bolts right up.

Third:
The muscle-era had the best cranks ie. forged ones. But those are with small dia. journals that pass on to 273-318-340 engines. Best heads are muscle-era "J" heads or the racing "X" heads. These are production line heads. And beyond that there are W-series aluheads or Edelbrock alu ones. All blocks are good if they are not bored to the max.

Fourth:
Power gains can be a lot, depends on the rate of your engine. But if you use a 360 you dont have to tune the engine that much because of it's larger displacement.

Fifth:
Mopar Perf. offers crate engines as you may know.
For instance a 360 cid 380hp unit.
And stroker kits are available: How about 426 cubic inch 360? That's full seven litres of torq and pow packed inside a SB.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:30 AM
Inactive User

Default 426 stroker

Welcome!
I also am new here and to Mopars, having just bought a '74 Challenger and am pretty much in the same boat as you!
I have a 318 that has been modded but it is at present out of the car so I dont know what to expect as I didn't build it. Actually, I don't get the car till Sunday. I also am getting a 360 core to build up but was thinking about getting a 440.
My ears pricked up at the mention of a 426 stroker kit for the 360.
Please..any more info on this would be awesome. Is that pretty much maxed out as far as stroker kits go. What I mean is, are the rods so long that the wrist pins are practically level with the rings?
Are the cranks forged or cast?
Old 09-14-2001, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

If yer interested in those stroker kits then I suggest you get a couple of Mopar mags. Newest Mopar Action at least has an add from Muscle Motors, they are one. Then there should be places like Hughes, McCandless, Ray Barton, Indy, you name it.
Not to mention that my car is featured in the latest issue...

Ok, check the mags and call those guys. They usually offer the kit as being 413 or so but with boring it you get 426. If you add alu heads then watch out, a really light maneuverable machine with TORQUE.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Default 426 stroker

Cool, thanks. I already filled out a subscription to Mopar Performance (?) online so I should start to get the Mag soon. I did buy a Mopar Muscle (?) {I get confused as they all sound alike} at the store so I'll look. I didn't think I'd seen a 426 kit, but you answered my question by saying it had to be bored out too.
Would the Torque be comparable to the 440. What kind of #'s.
I'd also like to add a BDS type blower. Would this be feasible?
That was your '37 coupe? The purple one? That is a cool car!
Old 09-14-2001, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

Default motor?

Old saying: "You can't beat cubic inches". If you're on a budget, just start with a 44 to begin with. Lot, LOTS cheaper to build to begin with, and if you decide you want more inches later, how does 600 sound? It's more hassle to get installed to begin with, but after it's in, you will have way more potential - matter of fact, after you put the 440 in, it wouldn't be a terrific problem to swap to an Elephant later(an Elephant is a 426 Hemi). ...just Doug, muddying the waters, once again.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 09-14-2001, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Default motor?

Ooops.......that should read -"440" - even a MOPAR 44 wouldn't do it!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 09-14-2001, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

Default what motor

Doug, what you say all amkes sense. The old "No replacement for Displacement".
But I already have the 360 block. I would have to get the crank/rods/pistons, bearings, maincaps, cam,....oil pump, block bored, honed, decked and presumably notched, bolts, heads, intake, carb, water pump, ignition.....
Hmmm now I'm beginning to see you're point.
I still like the thought of 413-426 cid fron a small block.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Default Motor??

I love the idea of strokers. My next project is a "B" block 400 stroked and bored to 474. I plan on doing the whole project from already owning a '67 Barracuda fastback /6, to a running 474 for less than $6000. You can do a nice, installed 440/452 for half that.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 09-14-2001, 09:33 PM

A 73 Duster should already have the spool type motor mounts, ifso you will need to replace the K-member for a 73-76 V-8 K-member. For under $2500 you could build a nice 360 that could no problem run in the 12's.