Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:42 PM
Inactive User

would it be feasable to attempt to install a factory turbo setup off a parts donor car onto my 87 2.5- 4 banger that did not come turbo equipped.I assume swapping engines would be easier but the donors head is cracked and has more miles than mine.If this is at all possible, will the computer modules interchange or do I have to change wiring,etc.Im looking for more passing power and at this point refuse to unload this car due to its resale and centimental value.And I also replaced the automatic tranny recently.Im not looking to compete with v-8"s but would like to be able to get out of my own way on occasion! Thanks for any ideas or opinions.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:17 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

If your motor was not a turbo motor then one major thing you need to look at and think about is the compression on your motor. Turbo motors had the lowest stock compression of all motors because the turbo would increase the compression so the motor did not need as high of compression. Also if they had not lowered the compression in the turbo motors you would not get more than 30 miles before you would have to change a head gasket. Or you would have to seriously limit the boost which defeats the purpose of the turbo.
If you are sure your crank and rods are up to snuff and want to chance the compression then go for it. I would rather redo the turbo motor and swap the heads so you have a good head and then run it that way.

Christian

------------------
Http://ThunderRacing.Knudstrup.net/

68 'Cuda 383 Best of 13.249@103 with a 1.916 60ft (now 13.20@105 but 2.03 60ft with 3.91 gears and tire slip)
(Formula S recreation not original but making like they should have at the factory) Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 11-29-2000, 04:35 PM

I had a 2.2 in a Dakota-the specs in the book said that the compression for a stock motor was (i think) 8.5 or 9:1, and the turbo was 7.5:1.

powerwagon
Old 11-29-2000, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

check out www.allpar.com it has all kinds of info on turbo and non turbo engines and their differences, there are a few differences in the two ,like feul pumps and compression ratios, it can be done but you should get spun up on all the specs first,, also get the bible on 2.2 and 2.5s the FWD 2.2 book , its in the mopar perf catalog , its has ooodles of info for those engines, good luck..

------------------
AKA GRNFSH: 70'cuda 440+6 ,2000 4x4 3.9L dakota sport
Old 11-30-2000, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

My wife and I recently picked up another project car. An 87 Omni, 2.2L carb'ed. However the reason we got it is that the seller put 5 lug hubs on it that are attached to the complete GLHS unperpinings. Included in the deal is an 85 T1 with a 525 man. A bunch of other various parts, but the most important for this is the complete wiringf harness out of the GLHS also, along with both computers, the logic and power modules. I will have to get the turbo heatsheild for the fire wall, punch a hole in the firewall also for the logic module harness, along with switching the fuel tank to the turbo one. We only agreed to this because we're getting all the parts with the car. If the engines years are the same, I believe the heads are the same. Main differnce was the dished pistons in the Turbos. I'm not quite sure but I also think that the oil pickups were different on the Turbo as well. I'll have to go check my 2.2L book on that one. Can be done, just a matter of how long you can deal with the car being down, and how much time you want to invest in it. Good Luck either way.

Bob

20 MoPars and countin'
Old 11-30-2000, 05:49 PM

I'm not sure the heads are the same. On my Dakota w/2.2, I tried to bolt up trubo exhaust manifold, and it wouldn't bolt up, but the reason for that was that it wouldn't clear the intake manifold. I can't remember on a car if the manifolds are on the same side or not, so you might not have that problem. Also, I don't think Chrysler made a turbo that wasn't EFI, was so you will have to convert everything over (Electric fuel pump, wiring, etc.). I do know the pistons are different-when I rebuilt my 2.2, they sent me pistons with a recess in them, and they were for a turbo motor. The stock 2.2 pistons are flat-tops. Good luck with your project.

powerwagon