Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-2000, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Here goes....need some serious troubleshooting expertise....ready????....got a 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 318, auto.,143k, lean burn control,.....When cold, car starts fine, will run for about 30 minutes, then starts to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. Problem worsens until motor cuts out, then will turn over but not start. Will restart after 30-40 minutes and run normally for another 30 minutes or so. Problem is worse in hotter weather (above 85), car will run longer in cooler weather. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, carburetor, and EGR valve...Problem still persists....any suggestions would be appreciated...I'm baffled...tks....
Old 11-27-2000, 02:54 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I had simalar problems with my '79 Dodge Magnum. Go...look at the computer and say your fired and replace it with a orange box.
Re check all the wireing. As this may be the real main culprit as well.
Old 11-27-2000, 03:10 AM
Inactive User

check and see if the rotor in the distibuter has proper clearance with the pick up. should be .008. Mine did the same thing. the gap was to wide. got a feeler gague and set it to speck and no problems since.

P.S. Its recommeded that you use a brass feeler gague, but it can be done with a regular one.

340 party
Old 11-27-2000, 03:46 AM
Inactive User

Could also be a bad ign. coil that fails after things get warm. If not almost for sure the computer (leanburn) is defective. Take it off, throw it against the wall as hard as possible, if it dosen't break, do it again 3 or 4 more times to be sure it's never going to give you trouble again. Then, install the Mopar Perf. electronic ignition conversion kit, and presto!, no more stalling problems. I've done many of these swaps, they work great, and are cheaper than buying a new lean burn computer. Dan
Old 11-29-2000, 05:25 AM
Inactive User

Replace the pick up in the distributor.This is a common problem with the 318 in the 5th ave.I've probably replaced 50 of them myself when I was a Chrysler line technician.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

Don't even bother with the Lean Burn, it is total junk. Buy the electronic ignition conversion and go to town. You won't have any more problems and the mileage etc. will be much improved.
Old 04-06-2001, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Question leanburn conversion

I have an 88 diplomat with a 318, the only bad part is the leanburn, can anyone give me wiring diagrams or advice as to the best way to make the conversion to electronic?, thanks sijohn.......
Old 04-06-2001, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

sijohn,

You can buy these conversion kits from lots of places including summit. They come with instructions and wiring diagrams.
Old 04-06-2001, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

I had the exact same problem with my 85 fifth ave about 2 years ago. I could drive for about 20 minutes
and then it would act up and die. It was running out of fuel. I had already put on before: new carb, fuel pump and had the new conversion kit on it and a recent tune up. So I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. I had already done fuel lines also. My friend suggested eliminating the vapour line from the filter. I put a straight filter and problem solved. We figure something went wrong with the return line in the tank. When you can't start it take the air cleaner off and see if there is gas in the carb. You have to figure out if its ignition or fuel.
Old 04-06-2001, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

I AGREE WITH GLEN440 IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE "VAPOR LOCK" MORE THAN AN IGNITION PROBLEM.
Old 04-08-2001, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

The funny thing was mine wouldn't get gas even if you took the gas cap off. My Volare gets bad vapour lock sometimes. Take the cap off and put it back and good as new. It would just misfire when it happened.
Old 04-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

Default ignition

Do as the guys are telling you! Take off that piece of garbage called the lean burn and have it crushed. change over to electronic box and solve your problems.
regards
Old 04-08-2001, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

i have heard only bad things about the lean burn as well. i bought a 78 magnum complete just a little dent in the front for 350$ the lean burn was in the trunk just incase i wanted it lol the guy said its bad thats about all i remember. just thought i would post instead of reading them all all the time.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:48 PM
Inactive User

Default lean burn to regular ecu

thanks to all who helped me with the wiring diagrams and pictures, i am ready to do the conversion. but i was not sure if i should use a 4 or 5 pin ecu, single or duel resister, the points to electronic conversion kit comes with 4 pin single ballast resister, i have a new in the package older 5 pin ecu p/n 03874020, also are all the ignition coils compatible?, thanks
Old 04-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

I'm pretty sure you can use the 5 pin ecu with the 4 pin wiring. I have only ever wired for 4 pin cause all my diagrams show the 5th wire as not used. All coils will work. If you use a better than stock ecu you should use a better than stock coil. As far as I know with a single ballast you are running the same 2 wires on each side that the dual ballast is splitting up. I have both but only use a single when converting.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:47 AM
Inactive User

This applies to all lean burn setups,if you experience intermittent dying,look on the firewall for a small elect box with a 2 wire connector,usually blk or orange,this is a delay for emissions control,unplug it and see if it quits dying,dont bother replacing it in fact I advise using the whole lean burn set up for target practice!!....PRO...
Old 04-13-2001, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Default lean burn to regular ecu

One other item that concerns me in this conversion is where do you get the vacuum for the distributor, the leanburn carb as far as i can see isn't ported for it?
Old 04-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

Default my leanburn saga continues

ok all is done I changed the distributor and I have a miss, I found number 5+6 cylinders had a weak spark; I checked the wires and cap with an ohm meter, all checked, the reluctor seems gaped ok, why else would I be getting little or no spark from these two cylinders that are next to each other on the cap?
Old 04-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Default It was the cap!

I replaced the cap and its running great, the whole thing cost me less than 50$ I replaced the distributor, carb,ecu and resister balast i got from the junk yard. thanks to all!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

Default Further sugestions

If the old 85 still gives you crap, or still lugs on you, it might be as simple as a fuel line getting to hot thereby vapor locking. The original post described that she dies as well as the problem being exasperated by heat. Check your fuel lines and see how close they are to the exhaust manifold, you may have to reroute it with an electric fuel pump.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Concering removal of lean burn

If you yank that lean burn off of there you will run into this problem, that carb thats on there with the lean burn is designed to run under computer control(the lean burn comp), if you yank the lean burn, and do not swap that carb out, eventual you gonna run into problems. Like loss of horse power and torque, could even exasperate bogging, that, and you might just out right fail emissions(a small drilled hole after the muffler will fix that right up)
However, I do remeber a post somewhere else where they removed all air control off the fifth avenue 318, and put duel exhaust with dual cat backs on and passed emissions(by a nad hair). Thank the lord for stupid emissions people who don't look under the car yay! There are after market replacement lean burns for purchase, just got to find em!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch
If you yank that lean burn off of there you will run into this problem,
Cough cough cough, BS! Then again, do you have Nazi's looking under your hood? Read on.

Quote:
that carb thats on there with the lean burn is designed to run under computer control(the lean burn comp),
True
Quote:
if you yank the lean burn, and do not swap that carb out, eventual you gonna run into problems.
Cough cough cough, BS! Minor retuning at BEST! Knew a guy that did the swap and just took the rods out to richen up the mixture. he had balls useing a wire wheel to thin out the rod to suite. But it worked for him. Could have went way to far that the idle mixture screw may not have made a difference.

Quote:
Like loss of horse power and torque, could even exasperate bogging, that, and you might just out right fail emissions
(a small drilled hole after the muffler will fix that right up)
The quote within your quote, your kidding right? The fix is drilling a hole in the muffler? How does that work?
I can see this mod only helping to further leanout a allready lean system.

Quote:
However, I do remeber a post somewhere else where they removed all air control off the fifth avenue 318, and put duel exhaust with dual cat backs on and passed emissions(by a nad hair).
Worked for my '79 360 on New Yorks test equipment which requires your car to be on a set of rollers runing at 65 mph. No air pump. Heads had the holes. Still used exhaust manifolds.

Quote:
Thank the lord for stupid emissions people who don't look under the car yay! There are after market replacement lean burns for purchase, just got to find em!
MoPar used there orange box as a replacement for the ill ignitions.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

do you still have the cataletic converter on the car ? start it at night and see if it turns cherry red.