Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Can someone please help me. I just purchased a great looking '72 Charger SE. The only problem is that the car is a 318 auto. I have a 440 with a 727 that I plan to put in the car. What parts will I need to do this and where can I find them? If anyone can help me please e-mail me. My address is noprep@hotmail.com. Thanks

The car has no a/c, and it uses headers not manifolds. I am also replaceing the existing rearend with a dana 8 3/4 with a 4.11 possi def. What will I need to do to the front end to compensate for the additional weight of the big block? Are new torsion bars and better shocks all that I will need, or is there something else.

[This message has been edited by noprep (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-28-2000, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Patrick, this is a fairly complicated question depending on how your car is currently equipped. If you have power steering and/or air conditioning and are looking to retain one or the other, you need to get the correct brackets for mounting these units. You need new motor mounts. I assume you can simply bolt on the new mounts and they will work just fine, but I would check this out first. You'll also need a bigger radiator and a new crossmember & drive shaft. You didn't mention whether you have a console or column shift, but you may need to make some linkage changes. I would check out the wrecking yards for all of these. I'm sure someone out there knows your local geography and can advise. Also, you may need to have drill some new holes for the cross member to work unless the Charger came with these from the factory. I haven't had to drop mine, so I don't know the answer. Someone here should. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2000, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Patrick, forgot to mention the exhaust system. Whether you go with stock manifolds or headers you will need to do some torching.
Old 11-29-2000, 12:59 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The car dosn't have coil springs. (Surprise!)
The car use's torsion bars. These are somthing you can buy from MoPar Performance. They will come in differant sizes (thick) for your "B" body. Theres nothing wrong with the small block T-bars. However, if you want to have better handleing. Use larger bars. The have a good list with a discription of how they are/what there for.
Have a Pro put them in. Better shocks are always a plus.
Contact Schumacher Creative Services @ 206-364-7151. This place has the right eng. mounts if you can't find them.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:11 PM
Inactive User

This is a pretty easy swap. You will have to change the engine and transmission at the same time since the small block transmission will not bolt to the big block engine. If the small block transmission is a 727, then it is even easier since the transmission will be in the same location (same driveshaft length.)
The 440 will need "B"-body engine brackets. I think even the motor mounts (rubber part) will interchange.
The transmission kick-down linkage at the carburator may be slightly different, but should not be too hard to adapt or replace with big block parts (if you don't already have them.
You may need to lengthen some electrical wiring connections since the distrubitor is in front on the big block.
The front "springs" are Torsen bars, and for good handling and not bouncing the oil pan off the road going through dips you should use the bigger Torsen bars from Mopar performance (I like the street performance bars that are a bit stiffer than the big block bars.) I think I have seen these selling for about $130 per set in some of the Mopar magazines.
Changing the rear axle with the 8-3/4" will require that the driveshaft be shortened because the pinion yoke of the new axle is closer to the transmission.

The small block radiator may be too small to cool the big block, so it may need to be replaced.

The exhaust pipes may not line up, so expect to have to do some exhust work to get everything connected.
Old 11-29-2000, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

451, the small blocks all have the 904 Torqueflite. The 727 is B & RB only. Unless he's had some weird modification, he will need the 727 put in the same time and will need a new drive shaft.
Old 11-30-2000, 04:57 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

CHARGERCHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Small blocks came with 727's!!!!
LOL with me on this..your eyes need a weird mod
Old 11-30-2000, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Rumfish is correct!!

The easy way to tell is by the the trans pan. The 904 has a corner cut and is not square like the 727.
Old 11-30-2000, 11:47 PM
Inactive User

The 727 was offered with the 340. By now, who knows what could have been swapped in. Dart, you're almost right. You do tell the difference by the passenger-side pan rail, but it's square on the 904, and flares OUT by the dipstick tube in a 727.
Old 12-03-2000, 03:52 AM
jammiejeanne

I made this swap on a 63 Dodge 330 that had a 318. I put in a 383, fabricated my own engine mounts and the trans and driveshaft bolted in. All I did to the torsion bars was turn up the adjusting bolt till I got the required ride height and never had any trouble with the whole setup. My oil pan did not bounce off the road, and I had no handling problems.