Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-19-2001, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Wont pass smog - options?

Alright my family has a 78 Dodge Tradesman 200 van with a 360/727 and every year 2 years when it needs to pass CA smog, it fails and a couple hundred dollars are spent getting it to pass so that registration can be renewed.

This is sort of a reality question, and i need some advice. The only reason why we still have it is because of sentimental value, how we drove all over the US with it when i was younger. But now it sits and only moves when it is in the way, and is only handy moving stuff once in awhile.

Basically it needs its 360 overhauled, if not at least the carb. So the motor sucks, but the tranny shifts fine and the d60 is also fine, the body is alright and the interior is cherry.

Question is, what are the various options i can do with this truck? I'm getting weary of dumping money into it every two years for smog, and right now i simply dont have the time because there are bigger issues in the way. My dream would be for someone to buy it for a reasonable amount and take it of our hands, but what else is possible without the hassle?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:20 AM
Inactive User

Aw, you're killin' me man!

What happened to the performance buildup? What exactly is the problem with this 360 of yours? I bolted in a 1973 360, heads and all, into a 77 Tradesman and it passed smog with below average emissions. Didn't even rebuild it or even pull the heads. A new OE carb (Holley 2145 straight out of the box, new emissions components (EGR, PCV and all proper vacuum lines, all stock, a complete tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor).

I wouldn't sell it. My project is taking longer than expected because my engine builder is taking his sweet a$$ time with my 318 stroker, but I wouldn't trade one of those for anything, they are classic. Ask RugTrucker. I guess he got rid of one years ago and regrets the decision if I remember correctly from an old post.

Anyway, why not just register it non-operational until you have the time to devote to it? It's only $10/yr to do that.

I know I'm biased, because I'm the van guy. And believe me, I would take it off your hands if I could, but I just bought a 76 Power Wagon and an 88 Ram 250 van, and getting them up to par is taking up most of my time. Plus I only have 1 parking space for 3 cars and I pay $339/mo. in storage. You know how expensive it is here.

Anyway, I'd hate to see you get rid of it. But if you do, make sure it goes to a good home.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:16 PM
Inactive User

Hey - it's nice hearing from you and thanks for the support.

I'm hoping replacing the carb and emission components like you said is all it needs. About how much was it to get this done?

I also thought about apply for non-op but the van does get driven around once a month... is there a way i can get a 2002 reg.sticker so i dont get hassled?

Thanks, and i guess i'll looking into the carb/emissions parts.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Well - i've been researching parts prices and have come up with a rough grand total of $450-550. The big one is the Carter rebuilt TQ for a little under $400, but i havent yet found a price for the Holley 2145.