Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-19-2001, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin How much nitros with twin turbo's???

Ok, see, I have this friend, and "he" posed this question to me; " If I put twin turbo's on my small block, can I, and how much Nitros can I run on it?" "and where would be the best place to inject the juice?, before or after the turbo?"
this is actually true, he is a GM geek. and is putting a monsterously powered 350 in a Fiero..........Blaaaahahahaha!!
The sad thing is I told him I would help because even though its not a mopar it will be a challenge an maybe kinda cool, in a GM sorta way. What he doesnt know is, that this "project" will be the proving grounds for my car!
600HP + 2200LB Fiero = fiberglass scattered within a 300YD radius.
Thanks fella's (and ladies)
5th
Old 09-20-2001, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

A Chebby SB with twin turbo setup and an injection too, huh?

I'd say forget about the nitrous, if the package is done the proper way there's gonna be in excess of 1000+++ hp. Who needs that go-juice anymore? Put the money instead to get the power to the ground. Just look at the Turbonetics 57 Chebby with twinT SB.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:12 AM
Inactive User

Nitrous and turbos have been done quite a bit in the sand drag area. When I was building my first turbo (2.0 liter Ford) almost 20 years ago, I was dealing a lot with the VW sand drag people. They ran VW buggies with 2.0 Ford engines. They ran huge paddle tires and needed lots of power off the line, so they would launch with the nitrous, and run on the turbo.

The nastiest ones were running on alcohol, and if I remember correctly were using about 150 hp of nitrous and 30 psi of boost on the turbos. The nitrous was run on a pressure switch to go off when the boost reached a certain level (10 psi?).

If you had well built small block, I would think you could use 100 or 150 of nitrous with no trouble, as long as you shut it off when you start to get turbo boost.

If you decide to do it, you will need some extensive chassis work to get it to hook and hold.

Sounds cool, keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Inactive User

put it in right after the turbos. so you get all the cooling effect possible, but without damage to the impellers.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

I would also put it in after the turbo, but you will need to be very careful with your NO2 and fuel pressures to compensate for boost. Both will reduce flow (but not necessarily the same amount) with increased boost pressure unless you reference and regulate them. If the mixture gets off, and you get a nitrous pop, you will probably destroy the compressor of the turbo with the pressure spike.

Dewme: Looked at your website. Very nicely done. Have you ever thought of getting info and pics of other turbo setups (TT440's for instance) so everyone could see the various ways people do things, all in one place. Those of us who are computer impaired have a definite problem in getting out good information to the masses.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Great info!

Thanks fella's your input has been very helpfull. I told ken about the possibilitiy of over 1000HP with twins and his jaw dropped and his eyes lit up like the soon to be afghanistan landscape!
So I think I have him talked out of nitros. he is going to have a VERY hard time gettin this thing to hook up! Im thinkin 14" wide racing slicks and some kind of wheelie bars. I will certainly keep yall posted even though its not a mopar (maybee a link to his web page or somthing as to not waste valuble mopar chat space on GM)
Thanks again!
5th
Old 09-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

Turbo-boy! Whaddya trying to do? Scare people?
You think more folks need to see my engine photos? If I could animate the primary tubes a wee bit it would look like a sci-fi monster coming to life.
Or, are you after that "right way" and "cheap bastard way" comparison?

Either way, it would need more pics of your setup to show a nicely done "evolved" system.

When I redo the engine compartment, I want to find a way to make it look less cluttered. Better headers would do it, but I think a little more cleanup would be nicer to deal with on a daily basis.