Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-22-2001, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Can I put a '71 front clip/grill on a '74 Challenger?

Hey Everydody//
I know this really isn't the right forum for this, as it's more a 'Vintage Mopar' topic, but there are so many more people here on this forum than that I figured I would duplicate my post here, so apologies.
Here's the issue. I was curious, I got a 74 Challenger as it was a good deal and it was available. I love the car and can't wait to get started on the renovation. My Question is this:
I really don't care for the look of the front clip/grill on the 74's a whole lot. I love the 70 & 71 front pieces. Can I switch to a 70 or 71 front clip/grill when I do my resto?
Also what would be the best reference guide for my restoration project as a whole as I'm totally clueless, I'm afraid. I don't even know where to begin. The engine and tranny are out, so I guess that is a start.. but anyway..
Thanks.
Old 09-22-2001, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

i am guessing that you are talking about the front sheetmetal & the grille.
yes, if you are using all parts on the 71 nose, due to the headlamp supports being diff. all cuda sheetmetal is the same except grilles,headlamp supports & rear body panels & valances.
minor trim changes through the 70 to 74 years,but nothing that would not interchange that i know of.
70 would be the easiest due to the one headlamp configuration.
have seen several cudas of the 72 to 74 years have 70 grille without changing sheetmetal.
all glass & inner structures interchange on all e-bodies, or may i state it like this. i have not found any of these parts not interchange yet.
hope this helps
Old 09-22-2001, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Default front clip

Thanks for the reply.
Not to split hairs, but it's a challenger not a cuda- don't know if it makes a difference. I know the front quarter panels are about 1 1/2" longer on the challenger. I was hoping the different year front clips on the challengers would be interchangeable. So hopefully you're right about the 'E' body parts.
Old 09-22-2001, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

well i am sorry, guess i should have checked.
cuda & challenger sheetmetal will not interchange, but as i said before, the glass & innerstructures will.
the basic info for the front end is the same.