Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-22-2001, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Uh oh....

Sniff :*( . I ran at the drag strip friday night, my first run was my best after puttin on dual exhaust (Pacesetter, its fake dual ). The temperature was about 20 degrees warmer than the last time I raced, but my car weighed about 50 lbs less (less fuel). I ran a 16.527 at 84.5. Which is better than my old best time of 16.660 at 84 sumthin. So I believe the exhaust helped, especially since it was warmer out and I STILL went faster . Now, 2nd run... 1st and 2nd were good but I grabbed farther down on the shifter cuz my old man said it would shift faster that way and I overthrew the D*MN thing and hit 5th instead, and so, screwin up that run ( I STILL beat the volkswagen with the body kit and big wing though ) runnin a 17.188 at 80.19. My third run I hit 5th AGAIN tryin to do the short shiftin and the car I was runnin DOES catch up that time and beat me runnin a 16.989 to my 17.533 (YUCKKK). My 4th and last run I run the same car as 3rd, and I shift normal (shift hard, but with the TOP of the D*MN stick) and I only ran a 16.754 at 84.4 even though it was colder, but on the 2nd shift I felt SOMETHING not quite right. After the races I checked to see if I blew my headgasket by smellin for antifreeze, but I couldn't smell anythin so I felt a lil better, but today, I smell antifreeze VERy bad and its poppin back through the exhaust now, so NOW I need a new head gasket.
Does anyone know of any high performance ones so I dont have to change it too often??? I dont want to put a cheapy if I can get a better one if ya know what I mean .

Thanks for readin this VERY long post!!!
Old 09-23-2001, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey nice job on your new best, wish i coulda been there to run neck and neck with ya. Hope your problem turns out to be just a simple head gasket. Think you may have it fixed by friday, maybe we can meet up or something.....lemme know....ramiam
Old 09-23-2001, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

thanks ramiam, I may have it all done by friday, but I cant run. My senior class is havin its bonfire so I wont be goin . Maybe next week wednesday, and I am gonna have the UDP put on during the weekend, so hopefully I will be in the 15's (crosses fingers).
Then in goes the short throw shifter
sorry I didn't ask you to go man, I didn't know if I was goin till that day, and I didn't even get there till 7:30, only to not be able to run till 8:30 cuz an olds blew its tranni's guts ALL OVER the end of the track (OOPS!!!). I ran in king of the hill and of course broke out cuz I had NO test runs and didn't realize my car was faster even though it was substantially warmer out .
We gotta hook up though .
Hopefully we will be bringing my 69 Dart with a 318 there as well, as long as we can get the oil pressure fixed so it dont break