Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-29-2001, 01:51 PM

Default Injecting Oxygen

Ok guys, If you've been reading some of my recent posts, you're probably thinking I'm the one that needs the extra oxygen but here goes.
I've read and talked about blowers, turbos, and NOS. Has anyone thought of or tried adding/ injecting just oxygen into the manifold or carbs that would be activated at will. I know this wouldnt be anywhere as good as NOS but wouldnt it produce more effective/complete cumbustion and possibly increase HP, or am I looking at NO gain or blowing it up.
If it would work, any guesstimates on the gain. Sorry if I'm wasting your time but I cant stop thinking about crap like this. I just had to ask.
Thanks......Dave
Old 09-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

heres the problem with that. pure oxygen, or anywhere near pure, will instantly detonate when combined with petroleum (such as gas, grease, oil). oxygen is great stuff, but it's also very very explosive.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:35 PM

Way back when there was a drag rail that had oxygen tanks on it. it looked like a bunch of scuba tanks. this is what it ran instead of a blower in the quarter mile. Im not sure what the outcome was, but looked unique. It probably raced the "Little Red Wagon" or somehting like that just for show. Now if we are talking compressed air instead of Oxygen, It would be alot easier to do. Run a Air box on top of your carb and plumb in the air. The trick would be getting the volume to meter with the RPM's. You could do this on demand too with a blow off valve/wastegate. Remember CFM's Your engine will pump alot, so have plenty on hand.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:10 PM
Inactive User

Default O2 to hot for you!

Ideally injecting pure oxygen into your engine would be the ultimate power boost. BUT, keep in mind the heat produced by this would push your engine WAY WAY WAY outside the safe operating perimeters it was designed for. The piston engine is a very poor (inefficent) when it comes to converting heat energy to HP/torque for your rear wheels. Just consider what a bit too much NOS will do, or if your boost from your turbo or blower gets out of hand. These methods of supercharging (pressuizing beyond natural asperation) are very mild compared to pure O2 in the cylinders. Just think what lengths you would have to go to keep your engine from a meltdown! The experiments done in the 60s with pressurized tanks were full of just compressed air not 02. I believe Big Daddy toyed with this idea and found didn't have much advantage over just a big fat blower. So because pushing a piston engine beyond where it can handle the combustion heat is a dead end we focus on HOW to utilize the head our engine makes to maximum advantage. That is CAREFUL turbocharging/supercharging/NOS application.
More Heat is the goal, but then again Heat is the enemy. The trick is keeping these two things in balance.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:51 PM

Might work if you injected a LOT of extra fuel to cool down the fire, but there is the problem of not being able to use pure oxygen. Maybe with compressed air, or some kind of formulation of compressed air with a higher oxygen content ?
Old 09-29-2001, 04:51 PM

Ok, let me make sure I explained what I was trying to get at since I read your replies and my original post I can see I didnt explain it they way I wanted to.
I wasnt thinking about forcing it in or truely charging the system. I was thinking of running a line to a custom manifold that I designed with 3 discharge nozzels since I run a 6 pack. I would attach it to the underside of the air cleaner and the air cleaner would have 3 small holes under it to allow for 3 small stainless tubes that would be positioned inside the air cleaner some place. I WOULD NOT BOX IN THE AIR CLEANER, it would still be free flowing thru the K&N . I was looking at this still being a fairly normally asperated motor and when I hit the button connected to a solinoid, it would add the oxygen to the inside of the air cleaner and mix with the other air. I was thinking this would act like an enhancement since it wasnt forced and was fully adjustable so it would just aid in the cumbustion.
The setup would consist of a bottle of O2 and regulator (with gage) in the trunk. SS hose going to my dash, connected to another regulator "Infinate adjustment" (with gage). Then SS hose to the SS Manifold, then tubes into the air cleaner. For a safety check I was going to weld the ends so they were flat and there would be a small hole there for the O2 to escape. I thought that this way, if a gage failed or blew and decided to try to pump in a tremendous amount at one time, it wouldnt be able to.
Pretty basic stuff when you look at it and costs pennys unless I die. I obviously would start at zero and very slowly work my way up. Probably would use a knock sensor also.
Now that I explained it better, let me know what ya think. If its still far too dangerous then I obviously wont do it. I just thought that with the duel regulators thru a closed system and small amount of O2 added without supercharging the system it would possibly work and easily regulate. I dont want the last words on my tombstone to read.
"Fastest man to the moon" Keep on postin.. Thanks......Dave
Old 09-29-2001, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

Default O2

What would result, is a lean condition, unless you had a way to add fuel. What else would result is holes in the tops of your pistons. Essentially, this is what Nitrous Oxide and Nitromethane do. Both "carry" their own O2. In order to keep the engine in one piece, Nitromethane is jetted VERY rich and Nitrous Oxide is richened by adding more gasoline. You are exactly correct in that adding O2 will increase power. But.....like all my bright ideas, somebody already found another way to accomplish the same result. ... Mush from Doug... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 09-29-2001, 11:19 PM

Injecting pure oxygen at that point could be very dangerous/deadly. It has the potential of causing the oil on the K&N to ignite. Once that flames up the pure oxygen now has a chance to interact with any other petroleum that is under the hood.

Stick with NO2. NO2 is a much more stable/safe of doing what you are wanting to do.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:29 AM

OK, the board rules. I wont go any farther with this idea. Sounds like its way too unstable and unsafe. Thanks for all the advice.......Dave
Old 09-30-2001, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

WHOA there nellie!!!!!!!!! Been there done that got the hat and the shirt,dave good idea but actually its been done its called Nitrous Oxide!!!N2o is 1 part nitrogen 2 parts oxygen,when it gets hot(around 500*+) the nitrogen releases the 2 oxygen molecules,now when this is already compressed in the combustion chamber and it reaches 500+ * KABOOM it releases the oxygen and RAISES your compression,if you didnt inject more gasoline it would be SO lean it would melt everything.Its the most simple solution to a complex problem.Everyone thinks Nitrous is flammable,it isnt,although oxygen will feed a fire but cant start one on its own.........PRO......
Old 09-30-2001, 02:25 AM

Ok, if I was to consider NO2, I think I better learn alot more about it than what I know now. Any one know of any good complete book like "everything you wanted to know about Nitrous but was afraid to ask" or any other place for good solid info. I've read and learned alot from this site but I'm sure no where near where I need to be. I dont do anything half assed and I dont get into anything till I know alot about it.
If I did go the NO2 route, I would only be looking for a small boost like 50-100 hp max. Can anyone recommend a kit that is already set up for a 6 pack or will I have to make the mods. I can make anything so that doesnt bother me as long as I know how it needs to be designed......thanks
Old 09-30-2001, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Hey dave I should of said "Great Idea" and dont ever quit thinking like that,eventually youll come up with something no one has ever thought of and make millions,Did you ever see Back to the future?where Doc falls off the toilet and when he comes to He has this vision of the "Flux Capacitor" which is what makes time travel possible!! well dont fall off the toilet on purpose!!! Anyhow call NOS they make a 6 pac specific kit which is bad ass,and petersen publications has a How to nitrous book,I am a N2O refill station and have run it for years on my cars,e mail me if you have questions..........PRO..........profam@gjct.net