Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Default Smell of gas in the car?

Here is one for you. I have a Holley 2 barrel 2280 non-feedback carb on a 318. Once in awhile after sitting at a stop light for a minute or so, when I take off I get a strong smell of gas in the cab of the car. I have looked around the base of the carb and also the sides but I see no leaks anywhere, where do I get the smell from? I have done the idle adj. Screws for the highest vacuum reading and the carb is running good and giving me 20 mpg in the city. I will be going to a 4 barrel setup in a couple of months so it isn’t urgent but I would like to get it fixed incase it takes me till after Christmas to convert. It is annoying as all get out to be gases every once in a while. Any one else had this problem before? It kind of sounds like the off idle circuit when the throttle is just opening is kind of getting rich and stinking the car out. I have noticed that the car kind of shudders at about 5-7 mph and then ceases and everything is fine. The jets have a number on them of 255 and I don’t know what that means for Holley 2 barrels and of course their web site is absolutely useless as far as any help is concerned and as usual they don’t even list my carb number. Any ide
Old 10-01-2001, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

Check your fuel line from the tank all the way to the carb.

My pops 77 Caddy smelled like gas in the interior,it turned out to be one of the lines at the fuel sender.

6" of new hose and problem solved.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

I checked the line from the tank all the way to the pump and then to the filter and finally the inlet to the carb. There was no leaks anywhere, I just have this hunch that it has something to do with the carb itself, especially if it seems to stuble and shudder just slightly off of idle and then it is fine afterwards. I tried looking in a Holley rebuild book from Haynes but it didn't say anything regarding this problem.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

Some Holleys have a fuel bowl vent that is only open at idle!!! its usually a 3/8 rubber line coming off the top of the bowl and it heads to the charcoal canister,look for cracks in this line.....PRO..
Old 10-02-2001, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

I can smell fuel in my cab quite often. On mine it's because my carb is running rich and the exhaust dumps in front of the axle. I can smell the fuel, but it's actually the exhaust. I also get a hesitation and sometimes a complete falling on it's face just of idle. Maybe this helps, maybe not. Just thought I'd share what mine's doing. Kinda familiar?