Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

Red face

I know there have been several posts on this, and I did a search on it, but still have some questions. I just ordered a Holley Pro Jection (Part # 504-21S) setup from Summit, and then came here to see what had been said about it as an afterthought. It appears the opinions are not entirely favorable. I am not looking for a screaming strip racer. I have a '68 GTX with 440 and 4 speed. The carb on it is junk, and rather than get a new one, I thought I would ventrue the EFI route. I want something that has good driveability, has good throttle response and increased economy. Enhanced performance would also be desired. I am going to electronic ignition and an M1 single plane intake. Did I make a bad decision? Should I consider returning the box when it comes in the mail? It looks like there is problems getting them to run right and problems with the pump and other components. Please help...
Old 12-06-2000, 04:06 AM
Inactive User

I will lend my experience with Holley "Projection. I run a 340 Duster, 30 over, street Ultra Dyne cam, mildely ported heads, LD 340 with Holley 650 D.P., Hi-flow Manifolds,Flowmaster mufflers, 391 gears, 3000 stall converter.
I installed the Projection 650cfm 2 barrel system. The only other system then was 1200 cfm four barrell-too big I though. Better response & velocity with the 650.
Observations & Comparison to 650 Double Pumper Holley:
-It was nice to have a hi tech choke, that worked well with Projection.
-Installing Projection is not fun. We ran into lots of snags.
Projection had a very slightly better response.
Electric fuel pump noise on your radio is noisy.
Projection is expensive by the time you have it installed.
A Black box inside the car controls, the mixtures and choke. I had mine under my seat-allowing for quick adjustments.
Fuel economy was veryslightly with Projection.
Holley wasn't a good help on the lean condition.
Mine ran well, but the plugs were lean with all knobs on full.
I took it off-Jeg's took it back-refunded me. THANK GOODNESS I KEPT THE HOLLEY. Had it back on in minutes.

My Advice- Buy even a good used or new Holley Double pumper carb. Maybe even the "650.
They key is to have someone who REALLY knows how to set this carb up go for a drive with you. My is excellent& troublefree.
Old 12-06-2000, 07:27 AM
Inactive User

The easiest thing to do for you would be to get an Edelbrock 750. It's just about a bolt on replacement for your stock carb, but will run much better. If you want to get creative, Edelbrock now offers a Q-jet replacement for the Thermoquad. You could get one of those and change the intake. From past experience you'll pick up some mileage. You do drive a 440 4 speed car because of the great mileage, don't you?
Old 12-07-2000, 08:32 AM
Inactive User

I kind of liked the features in the Pro-Jection-4 in my 440, didn't find the installation too hard, but I had good equipment. I had a LOTS of trouble with it though, first it didn't seem to respond to the adjustments so I decided to take it to a wheel dyno. About a week before the tune session the fuel pump quit working, I pulled ti apart and it was a complete joke. There are better quality parts in a cheap ball point pen. I replaced it with a Bosch pump and went to the Dyno. There we found out that the fuel pressure dropped when adding power. We had to raise it all the way to 35psi (15 recommended) and still it came down to 12 at WOT and caused the engine run lean. The built in fuel regulator wasn't up to it's task; we screwed it fully open and installed a Bosch regulator to the return line, and after that the pressure stayed where you put it. After the adjustment the thing worked nicely, mileage was good and the performance too; a 9:1 440 in a 3600 lbs car run 12.9's with 3.23 gears and 205/75/14 radials and got 16 mpg on the way to the strip. However, the promlems didn't end there; I had headers that were very close to the plugwire boots, when they burned even slightly the EFI went absolutely mad. It was a problem I could not cure and I got fed up with the system and sold it. With the money I got I made one of the wisest decisions I have done and bought a Carburator Shop prepared Stage III Holley 3310. It was kind of expensive for a carb, but worth every penny.
Old 12-09-2000, 03:47 AM
Inactive User

I only know one person that runs the Holley ProJection. He said he has really seen no difference in performance over the carb that it replaced.
From everything I have read about it; it is generally not much better than a carb because its throttle body fuel injection.
The real advantage in EFI is PORT fuel injection. It is much more efficent and the performance gains are more substancial.
But of course it really isn't avaliable as a direct bolt on kit and building a port EFI system from scratch is expensive but still doable. I hope to one day build a twin turbocharged big block MoPar. Port EFI is the only way to go with that.
Old 12-12-2000, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey Guys!!!

Thanks for the input. The package was sent back yesterday. I have an alternate plan that should be even better. As far as what it is, you will have to wait and see

It will be unveiled at the MoparChat show in Michigan next July for all of you going. Looking forward to meeting many of you there.

Thanks,
Craig