Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-02-2001, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Retreads or ?

On my original list of things I wanted for my 2WD RAM is a nice set of custom wheels and different size tires. That is to say - going from the stock 16" to 17"

here's the problems:

part I: my stock tires (16's) have 42,000 miles on them and are really showing the wear.

part II: it will soon be winter in Michigan and the wheels I like are chrome (reading between the lines: Michigan + snow = salt)

The long term thought is: I'll be parking the RAM in the winter (NEXT season - not this one) so the chrome wheels and slightly wider tires won't matter cause they won't see snow.

On the other hand, I am not crazy about spending a huge wade of money now on brand name tires that will not be used after the summer.

I have never had retreads (not really sure I want them) My other two alternatives are: buy some cheaper no name grade tires to get me thru or look for good used tires (like one offs).

Thoughts ?
Old 10-02-2001, 08:47 AM
One Bad Country Boy!!

u don't wanna go with polished?? they're cheaper and will hold up better(easier to take care of). IMO 17's are so much better than 16's for 2wd trucks. as far as tires go, i don't know if i'd trust anykind of used ones or a no name for the sake of them handling ok in the snow. i don't really know what u'r asking, so i hope this helps!!
later, dustin
Old 10-03-2001, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

I have Mopar tires on right now, got them just before the snow last winter and they're okay. They were fairly cheap too - $450 installed.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

hey

I am not sure if you saying that you are going to drive the tires this winter or just during the summer. Either way you could get a decent set of Federal tires. Lets say you are looking for an all terrain one the W-351 is a good tire and the 31-10.5x 15 i bought were only 75 a tire. i would imagine you could get a set of 4 for under 400.

brian