Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-03-2001, 02:12 PM
WILL 98' slt blk 4x4

Question Can someone tell me about the 408 Stroker Kit

I believe Dan (Fastman) is offering this kit for the 5.9 D.
Does anyone else have information on this, like what kind of gains & what does the kit consist of or is it just a new engine all together? < Sorry for ramblin>

THANKS,WILL
Old 10-03-2001, 03:21 PM
Inactive User

Hi Will,

The 408 is a stroked 360 which means that the crank is offset differently to increase the combustion chambers. Typically, those who upgrade the crank also replace the pistons, rods, bearings, cam, timing chain, balancer, heads, etc. Therefore, it usually amounts to the cost of purchasing a new engine!

Here is some good details about what is included in most "kits":
http://www.krcperformance.com/file2/...rmance_408.htm

Power output will be determined mostly from final compression ratio. Keeping the ratio low (8.5-9.0) will make for a better daily driver, and allow a blower or nitrous to be added. Higher ratios (~10.0) will give more power but will require high octane gas, and may be only good for racing.

Another option is to simply replace the pistons and rods, get the stock crank balanced, and add on other goodies in the future. Additionally, you could bore over say .030, and increase power at the same time. This is the option I chose. Gives a good, bullet-proof bottom end, but doesn't break your wallet all at once.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:38 PM

Get in touch with RDABIKE he has one.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

Hughes Engines also uses the Mopar crank (4 inch stroke, just like a V-10's) for a stroker kit. They offer the crank with new rods, KB hyperketic pistons(9.4:1 best pump gas ratio) and new rings for $1600 odd. Just like a full size model kit to assemble. "NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT"
Old 10-03-2001, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Hues engines is crap, the CR is too high, there are better/cheaper ones that fastmans, KRC's is good, prob one of the best, SpeedTweaks is a really good one as well
Old 10-04-2001, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

If you want to run a s/c, you need 8.0-8.5:1 CR, and N/A 9.1:1 CR.
You can always do a custom 408 stroker build

Mopar crank
pistons (Ross, JE, Diamond...) [Best r flat-tops, and then you get them "tweaked" to the CR you want
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Mopar freeze plugs
Full ARP bolts & studs
Full Fel-Pro gaskets
Mopar flexplate
piston rings, clevite cam, rod, piston bearings
SFI balancer

then throw on whatever else you want, if you want an M1 best one would be the 4bbl for s/c'd and hell you could run the 2bbl N/A'd
F&B has a 408 Stroker TB, better than Fastmans 53mm, its 52x55mm and its on Speedtweaks.net

Stroked and blown (the motor that is ):
the stock PCM cant really handle this, SO, the bet setup would be F.A.S.T (Fuel Air and Spark Technologies--Formerly SpeedPro) Bank-to-bank computer, wuth the windows based system, fully ajustable with a laptop in your car, yeah i kno, "fast and the furious style" exept this is on a real car not no little rice rocket

if you run n/a you can definitly be in mid to low 13's, there are a few ppl running stroked a blown, but these will need alot of tweaking and thats where that FAST comp. comes in.
if you dont wnat to spend the 4K+ on the 408, bullet proof your bottom end, run a ATI or Vortech with aftercooler @ 12-lbs of boost, get some ported heads, 2bbl m1, free flow exhaust, crane 2020 cam, 1.6RR's (1.6 with new cam, 1.7 without upgrading cam)

Also a side note on the 408, you will need to upgrade tranny if you want to go blown, 46RE wont be able to handle the torque, AND your gonna need to upgrade the oil system as well, full in-line return system etc etc... soo probobly expect 10-13K total for a blown and maybe around 4-8K for N/A
Old 10-07-2001, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Outlaw D,
Quote:
The Hughes are crap
Que? It's a Mopar crank,KB pistons, Eagle rods available....crap????
Old 10-07-2001, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

The KB's arent too good, they need alot of work to drop the compression, and forged flat-tops are much better than hyperuetic (sp?). Also i have heard that they dont actually ship on time, and it takes far too long and products come damaged etc..
Old 10-07-2001, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

Outlaw, I've talked to Dale at Hughes...he guarentees delivery times, if you call and ask.The KB pistons come in 3 "street" CR's, 9.4:1, 9.9:1 and 10.3:1. You can drop the CR .5 by using Fel-Pro gasket sets "non- compressed" and these ratios are also spec'd on the smallest volume Magnum heads possible. Now they do need to be milled for deck clearence, but any decent Magnum piston is going to have that.
Old 10-07-2001, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

Fel-Pro 1008 actually blow under a blown stroker, best would be SCE Copper race gaskets. Hey u can use whatever kit you want, i was just posting my thoughts on it
Old 10-07-2001, 03:17 AM
Inactive User

WHOW, Outlaw, Rewind here. I'm doing a 408 stroker without a blower! With a blower, you need Ross forged pistons etc. I'm not on the puffer thing! Running more than about 5lbs of boost you probably need "o-ring" gaskets and a lot of other "hold things together pieces".I think we're just on different pages here!
Old 10-07-2001, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

N/A'd the Fel-Pros should be just fine, modified KB's or even Ross's will be fine too, you can also go with JE's, or Diamonds, most of the other things i listed above should be fine too