Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default E-brock heads and stock rockers /pushrod inter"fear"ance

I just switched out the roller rockers for a set of HD hyd. rockers. MoPar stock. The goal was to quite the engine down a bit.
How ever, there was a problem with the push rods. They would rest on the head.
The chromed MoPar Rocker shafts were installed with the notch down & to the right. (Correct, right?) Thats correct, had a brain fart.
Then the rockers were installed LR,RL,LR,RL
The first 2 rods cleared, but not the next 2. The 3rd set cleared but not the last set.
I rearange the rockers to sit right and clear. The rockers now sit correctly on the valve stem as well.
The question is were these heads designed to have the T/A rockers or stock. I thought stock. Little confused here on what I've seen.
Lil'help please from the owners of the heads.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:04 PM

I dont have a set of these heads yet but everything that I can remember reading says it uses stock locations =stock style rockers. Not the offset TA's. Sorry I couldnt have been more help.
Dave
Old 10-03-2001, 05:19 PM
Heavy Member

Hey Fish, I can't help you on your exact question relative to the small block heads, but it looks like you had it set up correctly.

I had a similar issue using the Big Block Edelbrock heads. Using adjustable MP aluminum roller rockers & Crane HD pushrods (thicker diameter than stock), I too had push rod to head clearance (interference) issues. Mostly on the intakes. I ended up having to open up the pushrod hole in the head to relieve the interference.

I would not have had this issue with stock size pushrods.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

I use the crane ductile iron adj. rockers and comp cams pushrods, stock diameter. I've heard of that problem if you use thicker pushrods, I don't know why they wouldn't allow more room for a good pushrod, I guess that would affect the flow.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:32 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Dave Jones ;

Thanks there bud. I have the head instuctions around here somewhere. I thought I read the same thing.

WS23;

Thanks, good looking out since the next BIG project is (I hope) a B engine. I was going to look at the E-brock heads for them as well. But, thats sometime away.

"Mr. Finally Satisfied" 71 scamp. Glad to read that. I guess thats a, "for now" quote huh?
When I had the Comp rollers on, there wasn't a problem with the P-rods hitting the head. Now I am using Summit P-rods. They are thicker than stock. I didn't think to look at the possible diff. between them and the Comps. It was weird how fiddling around with the rockers made it work. So much for LR,RL,LR,RL.
I don't think it would effect flow since theres room to port the other side.

Anyway, it ran very quiet after I finished. Exhaust as well. Even seems a little meloed out.
Anybody else with a thought or 2.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

Rumble,the valve arrangement is EIIEEIIE but there are no specific exh rockers or intake rockers,only rights and left,so that some intakes have lefts and some intakes have rights same with exh,it should go LRLRLRLR,right is too the right of the piston and left is to the left of the piston,when youve got it right the pushrod cups on each cylinders rockers will be offset towards the centerline of the piston,........PRO.....
Old 10-04-2001, 03:04 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey PRO;

I'll go check again later. Maybe tomorrow I think I'll have a min.
I understand the valve arrangement. I was refering to a book to put the rockers back in. Had to double check myself to be sure.
At one point in the same book, I read conflicting paragraphs on the rocker shafts and on the rocker arms themselves the book said to install them in a LR,RL etc.. maner.
This had everyother set of rods rubbing in the pushrod holes in the head. I just reversed them and then they cleared.
At this point, all rocker tips sit nice on the valve and P-rods clear the head. Not how the book read...but, thats OK to.
So long as it works right.