Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:12 PM
Inactive User

i was told that my trans. converter is draining back over nite. so i have to put the trans in neutral for a few seconds before it will move. what causes this and what would be needed to correct it , a rebuild ? thanks
Old 12-12-2000, 09:56 PM

There is a check valve that is sticking or the spring could be broken. The check valve is probably in the front tranny pump. So I would have to say that a rebuild and a converter would be your answer. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I would do.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

As I understand the problem, converter drain back/ morning sickness, is a worn pump bushing. It usually is not critical IF the manual valve is right in the valve body. Transgo makes a kit that will fix the problem. It is just valve body work. I think $12. Yes, it can be a check valve that dodge put in the trucks oil cooler line to stop the problem.
I have fixed several of mine with the transgo kits, and usually do a shift kit at the same time. And I shim the servos. It really makes them shift nice.
fox
Old 12-13-2000, 03:57 AM
Inactive User

I have the same problem with my 71 Charger. Replacing the converter did not fix it. Mine does not do it if I drive it almost every day. Just if it sets for several days. Good Luck. Larry
-------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 12-14-2000, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

i have this same decease.dont do it if i drive every day. trans rebuilder told me there is a valve stuck.it is located in the front part of trans under valve body .there is about seven holes there but can remember which one it is.ddddaaaa. i think one of the center ones.it lets the torque drian back said if you park it mark the dipstick let it set 2-3 days and the fluid level will rise about quart 1/2 if this is what is wrong.
Old 12-15-2000, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Gents,
Scratch the drain back theory. Check the line pressure at start up, then watch it gradually increase as the trans begins to function. This could be one of several problems, bottom line = trans overhaul.
Old 12-15-2000, 03:26 AM
Inactive User

i have a friend that works at TCI converters that says this happens because Mopar trans do not pump while in park, i don't think you should worry too much about this problem. i let all my Mopars idle in neutral a few seconds before i get ready to move. just remember, don't stall you're engine trying to make it go and you shouldn't have any problems
Old 12-15-2000, 04:00 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Don’t want to rock the boat, but think of it this way, if it was normal why didn't torqueflites do this from the factory. True while in park the pump does not charge the converter. Again check the pressure if it is a stock trans w/o shift kit or other mods it should be capable of 90+ psig. remove the plug from the low/reverse servo, and verify
Old 12-15-2000, 04:14 AM
Big Tuna

Wink

I used to have a 904 in my Duster that did this. It would also leak fluid ot of the seal around the shift shaft. In one of their trans articles, Mopar Action said this is a symptom of a worn front pump bushing. I drove and dragraced it for three years like that. It never broke. Dennis
Old 12-15-2000, 12:59 PM
S/SS Member

Mine did the same thing for about a year then it wouldn't go into gear at all. I pulled the 10 year old valve body,sent it back to Turbo-Action and it was fine. Turned out the front pump bushing went bad which in turn took out the pump. Never hurt the converter though. I've owned 14 different Mopars and none of them ever drained back before.
http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...368/index.html
Old 12-15-2000, 06:40 PM
Inactive User

Do what Fox said, Install a Trans-Go shift kit in your valve body. The kit will enclude a new manual valve that lets the trans pump fluid when it is in park. This kit will stop the drain back problem also. This is what I call Morning Sickness.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Do what Fox said, Install a Trans-Go shift kit in your valve body. The kit will enclude a new manual valve that lets the trans pump fluid when it is in park. This kit will stop the drain back problem also. This is what I call Morning Sickness.