Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2001, 12:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Underdog

You know, I always pull for the underdog, even when the odds seem insurmountable. My hat's off to Carl Long. Apparently, their operation is strictly backyard, sort of like mine. They took a used Winston Cup chassis, hung a Dodge body on it, bought(or rented) a Petty engine and proceeded to go out and make the race at Charlotte. They did it with no factory backing and only marginal sponsorship. They out qualified Andretti and of course, Petty and Buckshot Jones didn't make the race. Sort of restores your faith in the race gods!
Old 10-05-2001, 04:47 PM

I saw that on the nascar website and thought it was a typo! He qualified 30th right behind Atwood. Good going and hats off to the "Mansion Decorators" team. Also saw that Jimmy Spencer (this week's WCS pole winner) will be in the 01 car next year.......????
Old 10-08-2001, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

There is a write-up about Carl on Nascar.com. Another story of broken dreams and heartbreak, but a will that won't die, and just enough support to keep going. Makes you want to pull for the guy.

As the saying goes, if ya wanna be in show business, ya better find another way to feed yourself.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Inactive User

I agree, that was hell of a good job done by by Carl Long on Sun. I like to see the low budget guys get a break.

I must admit however that it does not say much for Pettys team (Kyle, Buckshot)

If Carl Long can do it on his budget with there motor, how can the Petty's explain there lack of performance or bad results, DNQ's etc ?
Old 10-12-2001, 04:00 PM

Hey Sanborn, Carl Long is listed as driving a Ford car this week (Oct 12) .... What gives?
Old 10-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

Don't know for sure. Long has tried to qualify at some short tracks before. They probably had a car with legal body and a short track engine. Apparently it was all Ford and that's what he ran. Who knows, maybe Petty wouldn't rent him an engine for this week!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

Carl Long's team used a short track car to attempt the race at Martinsville, which happens to be their old Ford-bodied machine. They only missed the race by .001 seconds. As I understand it, they only have 1 Dodge and I'm pretty sure, if that's the case, they didn't want to beat and bang it up at Martinsville. From what I've read, they intend to race next at Rockingham, maybe Atlanta, and then Homestead, if the car doesn't sustain damage along the way somewhere. Some of the Carl Long bunch have put together a website, www.mm85.com, which you all may want to check out. Also, here's a picture I took of the car after the Charlotte race: