Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-07-2001, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Autotrans Worth the money

I borrowed a friends 5 speed Neon for a couple weeks (while my car is being repaired after he borrowed it for a week and rear ended a UPS truck). I've been scanning the classifieds looking for a 5-speed 1st gen neon in local papers with no success, but their are hundreds of Auto's available. Is the auto a "fun" car to drive, i know it will lose something not being stick but is it still worth the money?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 10-07-2001, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

I would not get an auto neon it just not any fun, i have two neons now and both are manuals they are fun to drive, but i have driven a couple of autos and its just plain slow. Just my opinon
Old 10-22-2001, 11:10 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Autotrans Worth the money

Quote:
Originally posted by thewrongguy
I borrowed a friends 5 speed Neon for a couple weeks (while my car is being repaired after he borrowed it for a week and rear ended a UPS truck). I've been scanning the classifieds looking for a 5-speed 1st gen neon in local papers with no success, but their are hundreds of Auto's available. Is the auto a "fun" car to drive, i know it will lose something not being stick but is it still worth the money?

Thanks

Jeff
The old Neons had a crappy automatic (3 spd) and therefore it takes the joy out of driving them. The newer Neons ('00 & '01) have that same auto tranny, but the '02 Neon is supposed to have a 4 spd auto. That one should be more fun to drive.

Overall, though, the Neon begs for a 5-spd manual. It loves it. It wants it. It rules with it in there.

Oh yeah, the 2nd gen isn't a slouch with that 5-spd manual. I should know, I got one. Man, it is fun to shift from 5th to 3rd and rip apart SUVs that drive too slow. Not to mention, it's a blast to pass the "rice-mobiles".
Old 10-25-2001, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Yah, I have driven them all. The 3 speed is a gutless wonder. Horrible tranny... don't bother. The new one (2000 up 3 speed) is a lot better, it shifts better and is more willing to kick down... The 5 speed is by far the best though... I can't wait to try an r/t or something with the new 5 speed.