Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Question fuel pump eccentric

I've just put new a timing chain in my 72 340 and after a few miles of running I believe the fuel pump eccentric spun.Almost no fuel is being drawn and I just installed a new pump. I don't believe there is a problem with the lines. I torqued the cam bolt to 35 ft.lbs. and used loctite blue. I misread the manual and torque spec is 50 but I thought the loctite would hold. Any tips besides using the proper torque?
Old 10-08-2001, 08:38 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey Kevin;

I think you'll have to look and see on this one. I have never heard of this failing before. It's a lot of work just to get there. If you have and old pump lying around, I would try that one first before getting into the timing chain. Just to see if the pump, although new, isn't at fault.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Kevin,
I agree with rumblefish. check it out closely before tearing that front end down. Even though the bolt was undertorqued, it shouldn't back out after just a few miles, especially with loctite. Any chance you could have put the cam washer on backwards? Does the car run at all? You said it "draws" hardly any fuel. How did you check? You might check it at the ouput side if you haven't already. Take fuel line loose from the carb, stick it in a milk carton or coke bottle, turn the engine over, see how it pumps. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2001, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

Just buttoned my 72 340 up today, the correct torque is 35 lbs. If the slot in the eccentric is not properly engaged with the keyway on the cam when it is torqued it will not engage the fuel pump properly, therefore it will not not produce a full stroke. The proper procedure is to block the cam in the forward position, ensure the cam sproket is fully engaged, mount the eccentric with the slot engaging the key then torque the screw with the cup facing inward.
Old 10-13-2001, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all your input, I haven't had a chance to work on the car recently but I think the problem could be in the fuel line from the tank. Either the pickup is blocked or the rubber line at the sender is collapsing, it looked original to the car from '72. I'm sure the cam gear and woodruff key engaged the eccentric properly so hopefully its just a bad fuel line. Thanks.