Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-08-2001, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Question Will the Tornado product work on a Carb?

My question is basically the same as what the title says, does the tornado air swirl thing have any real effect on carbs or does it only work on efi or throttle body? I know on there infomercial they say it works on all of them, but I seem to remember some thread about one if not all types of the fuel delivery systems having no gains from this tornado device. I will do anything to help my mpg a little you know.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

It's stupid and can't possibly work -- even the idea and the sale's pitch is stupid. These ripoff schemes come and go -- most recycling the same theme about every 10 years or so. From magnetic fuel or water line thingies to additives like slick 50 to this thing -- all are nonsense. Kim
Old 10-08-2001, 10:29 PM

I thought it was a bunch of crap myself..... until tried one (the 30 day money back at least got me to try it). I have at least 6 friends and relatives that also tried one, and all have bought one for all their other cars. I've had it on 3 of my cars and it would be on my V10 Dodge but it won't work on it due to the way the filter and intake are designed. My father put it on his carb'ed Taurus and said it was the first time it ever was able to break rubber. I had a friend that didn't think it improved his Jeep and took it off to return it. After driving a few blocks he went back home and reinstalled it. I can only say to give it a try and return it before the 30 days are up. You will have nothing to lose! and, you may be very happy with it. (PS: some of the Japanese rice rocket motorcycles had a similar device cast into the intakes)
Old 10-09-2001, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what is a Tornado air swirl?
Old 10-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

If you're talking about a helical grooved throttle body spacer, they work pretty good. Don't know if I'd get the brand on the infomercial. Some popular truck and 4x4 mags. advertise what appear to be some more reputable brands.

BTW, it will work on a carb as well as TBI. Technically, they are the same thing but a carb's fuel delivery is mechanically controlled whereas a TBI's fuel delivery is electrically controlled. What it's doing is giving you kind of a vortex supercharging effect (on a very small scale, of course). MPG should improve 1-2 on avg. and maybe 5-10 extra HP/ft-lbs.

If you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

Wow, you guys just want to believe in this junk. And based on what, a commercial and anecdotal testimony that gas milleage increased. Here is a link where it is discussed.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%2540top-world

I just absolutely hate seeing folks being taken advantage of but there is no saving some people. Kim
Old 10-09-2001, 11:11 PM

wanta buy some oceanfront property in Vermont?
Old 10-10-2001, 12:28 AM

Remember the "Man-a-fre" manifolds, with their "direct port induction". They had a little boat propeller looking thing cast under every carb boss. This was to swirl the mix going into the heads. Well, "Man-a-Fre" is long gone and a few other aftermarket manifolds had these "swirlies". If they were any good, they would have evolved with the newer manifolds.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

Angry

This same RIP-OFF company marketed a device to motorcyclist/snowmobilers in the '80's. Then it was called "SWAR-UP".It didn't work then, it don't work now. NO motorcyle carb manufacturer ever cast "fins" into the carbs, those were the "SWAR-UP"s. They claimed "gain up to 5 -15 HP and 10% torque". The dyno's proved they lied. I wish I had a nickel for everyone of these "free HP, better performance, more mileage" gadets ever sold, or even invented. Anyone else remember "evaporator carberators", "Electro-Superchargers", "UltraSonic Carberators", "UltraViolet Atomizers"?Some of these go back to the early 50's to put on your Hudson Hornet, or your Kaiser, or maybe a Packard.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Inactive User

Default swirl

I have a feeling that you'd have a helluva time getting your money back - plus you'd pay restocking charges, freight and probably some other fees. My thoughts about stuff like this: "If you can't prove it on a dyno and then prove it at the track, it don't work!" .........crud from Doug ......GOD BLESS AMERICA......
Old 10-10-2001, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

thats wierd i just saw the infomercial last night on this for the first time, on the info mercial they said Hot Rod mag did an articel on it or voted it product of the month, has anyone seen this artice? why would hot rod endorce a product like this that was a scam? im not saying i believe it works ,im very sceptical , im a "dont believe it till i see it " guy but if i could find one in an auto parts store and i could return it without shipping id give it a try. but im not giving my credit card info to some infomerical, but id sure like to get another 5mpg in my dakota, i could really care less about 10hp because more hp in my truck doesnt make me money to put in my cuda.Mpg does ... just my 2cents...
Old 10-10-2001, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Man-a-Fre

I was around in those days, and what I recall is that Man-A-Fre made pretty good, multi-carb log manifolds. I don't remember the propellers. I had a six Stromberg 97 Man-A-Fre setup on a '55 Ford with a really built 272 in it. It would pull 7300 RPM, but had a rather large hole where one would expect to find low-end... the hole started at idle and went to about 3500 RPM!

Are you SURE about the propellers? I bought mine used, so maybe it had them when new.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:59 PM

Doug, I cant quote the part number, but im sure I saw those swirlies on some old manifolds. Im going to Pomona this sunday and I guarantee Ill see a manifold with the swirlie, bead blasted aluminum manifolds are timeless, you would swear they were new if you didnt know. Ill try and get a pic of one. I still see those Man-a-Fre's from time to time. I heard they sucked...cool looking though. Dont get me wrong on those propellers, they didnt turn, they were cast in to swirl the passing air/fuel.