Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Default electric choke

Hi all. I have owned my 'cuda for just a few weeks, and already have gotten lots of useful information from you people. I thank you for that!

I have a Holley 4160 with an electric choke. I thought that when I started the car I should see the choke plate down a bit lower and then when it warms up, the choke plate should come back up, right? It's not doing that on my car, the choke plate just stays in the same place and the car is hard to start. I think I need to adjust the choke, how is that done?
Old 10-11-2001, 05:13 PM

Are you using the electric choke control with it? When you remove it from the manifold, there is an adjusting nut on some of them.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

First: Be sure that you are getting 12.6 volts or more to the choke. Caution: Do not get the power for the choke off of the coil.

I have had success using the input side of the ballast to feed the + side of the electric choke. Then make sure the - is to a good ground.

If you do not get the proper 12 volts to the choke when the ignition is on it will not pull off right. Hooking it up to the coil will make it pull off too slow. Been there done that. A good 12 volt source will work wonders.

Next: Start the car and see how it runs. If you need to adjust the choke loosen the three screws that hold the top down and rotate in the direction needed (it is marked in the cover). Adjust two lines at a time until you find the right spot.