Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-12-2001, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Diesel Engine Fan Noise

I have an 89 D250 with the Cummins. Just added the full suite from Banks Engineering, i.e., intercooler, new turbine housing and exhaust components.

My engine fan has always been very loud and pulling the RV in the summer causes it to stay engaged much of the time. With the additional heat through the radiator due to the intercooler, it runs even more. While the engine temp is fine, I would like to explore putting on a quieter fan that still moves the air well.

Has anyone else pursued this problem? Looking at the blade design, it seems pretty clear that they were designed to move air with little consideration for the noise generated. I'm sure that a different blade design could still move the air but with less noise.

BTW, the Banks kits really do work. The power and response from the "old" '89 are on a par with or better than the new stuff and at a fraction of the cost of a new truck!

Edwin Whitelaw
Greensboro, NC
Old 10-12-2001, 10:50 PM

Default fan noise

the fan clutch is heat sensitive changeing the fan with different designe will reduce engine cooling. if it realy bothers you look at the turbo diesel regitry there is a company that make an electronic fan clutch just like the big rigs that is the best addvice i can give
Old 10-13-2001, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Do an internet search on "Horton fan clutch"
Old 10-14-2001, 11:06 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlebox
Do an internet search on "Horton fan clutch"
Took a look at their site. My primary goal is noise reduction. The stock fan and fan clutch work fine WRT to cooling. Do you know of anyone who has used their products? I'd like to ask their opinion on the noise levels.

There is a local dealer here in Greensboro. I'll contact them as well this week.

Thanks for the tip!!

Edwin
Old 10-18-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

I've got one. It rarely engages unless the pressure switch in the AC condensor calls. We pulled a 6000# trailer from Canada to AZ and back and the only time it would come on would pulling full throttle up a 7 degree hill for more than 10 miles with the outdoor air temp above 70F. When it does engage it's quite noisey but rarely happens.