Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2001, 05:11 AM
Inactive User

Question A-body Disc Brake Conversion

Just found out that my front end on my '68 Barracuda needs some major rebuilding. While I'm in there, I am thinking about converting it to disc brakes in the front. I have seen a few posts here about it and have asked a few questions. I have some more maybe some of you that have done this can answer.

I have called all three of the vendors offering "disc brake conversion kits". MPbrakes wants $1300 to convert to manual disc brakes. SSbrakes and someone else want $900 for their kits. They all claim that you just buy their kits and supply grease and brake fluid and in 6 hours you have disc brakes. Sounds too good to be true.

MP brakes supply a new prop valve that bolts under the master cylinder and would require bending new lines myself.

SS brakes supply a prop valve also and they claim that it goes onto the body and I might have to bend the lines from the master to the valve, but the others will bolt up. The last guy I called said that I can use my old drum prop valve and lines.

I have read posts in here where guys have said that they tried to bolt everything on and the brake lines had different size fittings and had to find adapters.

Who has used the kits from all of these guys and how well did the installation go? Who makes the best conversion kit for the price? Are the spindles different from disc to drum brakes? Will stock replacement parts fit on the conversion kits when I wear out the pads, rotors, calipers, etc.??? Why do two guys recommend replacing the prop valve and one not?

One of the guys I spoke to said that MP brakes is selling GM parts to adapt to Mopars. Is this true?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:58 AM
Inactive User

Let's address your questions one at a time.

Quote:
Who has used the kits from all of these guys and how well did the installation go?
You'll be hard pressed to find people who have done these conversions on this board. Many have asked about the aftermarket conversion kits, including myself, and have had little to no response. That said, Mopar Muscle Magazine did this swap on a couple cars. Look here: Charger Disc Brake Conversion and C-Body Disc Brake Conversion

Quote:
Who makes the best conversion kit for the price?
They are all about the same as far as value. They all provide all the necessary parts to convert from drum to disc. Be aware that some of the kits, i.e. wilwood, are not DOT approved and are not recommended for street use because of the lack of Dust Seals on the Calipers.

Quote:
Are the spindles different from disc to drum brakes?
Yes. The disc spindles provide a location to mount the Caliper adapters. Drum brake spindles only provide a mount point for the backing plate. Also, there were different disc spindles made for some years vice others.

Quote:
Will stock replacement parts fit on the conversion kits when I wear out the pads, rotors, calipers, etc.???
Probably not. The rotors are a special piece that are meant to fit the drum spindles. BTW, the way these kits work is that they provide an adapter for mounting the caliper that bolts to the four points that the drum backing plate would normally bolt to. They also provide a spacer that adjusts the inner bearing location out to adjust for the different rotor spacing. As far as the pads are concerned, you'll most likely have to go back to the manufacturer of the kit for replacements. This goes for any aftermarket caliper that you use and not just for drum to disc conversion kits.

Quote:
Why do two guys recommend replacing the prop valve and one not?
You have to add in a proportioning valve. If you are running an all drum brake car, you DO NOT have a proportioning valve. This valve reduces the pressure on the rear drum brakes to keep them from locking up. Disc brakes require more line pressure than drum brakes.

Another option that you have is what is known as the junkyard swap. Look at this thread for some explanation: I Want Disc Brakes, HELP

Finally, if you're not confused enough, you can bolt on a pair of 73-74 E-Body Spindles and get a BAER Brakes kit for General E-Body fit. This is what Mopar Muscle Mag did with their Year One Road Runner
Old 10-15-2001, 11:46 AM

I must disagree with just one statement. 4 wheel drum does have a proportionary valve. It's line pressures are different than that of a car with front disc. Regardless, you will still need the correct proportionary valve, unless you like locking up the rears, every time you stop.

Also, you mentioned in your other post (why you have tow on the exact same thing, just a couple of minutes apart is beyond me) that you want to keep your 4" bolt pattern. It would be hard to do that with an aftermarket kit. Most of them are setup for the more common 5 on 4½ pattern
Old 10-15-2001, 01:15 PM
Inactive User

Noted on the prop valve. If you want to stay with the 4" bolt pattern, then looks like SS Brakes is your only option. I just checked their application listing and for a 68 Barracuda, they list a 5 x 4" bolt pattern for their rotors. You will not be able to stay with the 4" bolt pattern if you do the 73-76 A-Body junkyard swap. The rotors you get from the parts store will be 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern.