Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Angry Fuel Pump Problems

I have a real problem with my 98 model 2500 with cummins diesel.I took it to shop last week it was dying out ,wouldn't idle properly, hard to crank, and was acting like it was not getting enough fuel when u put the pedal to the floor. The people at the dealership changed the lift pump and charged me 475.00 for this service. This was not the problem. The dealership then setup An appointment for the truck at another diesel shop 75 miles away to install a rebuilt injector pump. The problem with all of this is they want 1200.00 dollars for this part installed.I just don't undrerstand how a dealership can put on parts that doesn't correct the problem and pass all the cost on to the customer. This certainly seems less than professional. I had a transmission problem with the overdrive shifting in and out about 3 months ago, they replaced every sensor on the trans billed me 900.00 and two days later it was doing it again. They ran a flash program to lock in the torque converter and it seemed to fix the problem but I was charged 450.00 more dollars.

I'm not here to complain, I just need some help on finding the problem with my truck and any ways of cutting cost to repair it. I am a fairly decent mechanic on gasoline vehicles but I don't know much about diesels. Any suggestions or diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

Here's what i would do First go to this website www.marksalem.com , then go to the faq's part of the website. It has a good way of getting something done because they were just guessing that was the problem. And guessing with your money is the worst way to do business. Just something that may help.....
Old 10-16-2001, 08:49 AM

What I would do is pay with a credit card, and if the problem isn't fixed, dispute the charges.

I'd also be on the phone to the zone rep ASAP!

If you haven't already, check into joining the turbo diesel register. www.turbodieselregister.com

There is a wealth of information on diesel's over there, and it is well worth the $35.00/year for membership.

Also, look into investing into a FACTORY, not aftermarket service manual.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-26-2001, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

unfortunately it sounds like your injection pump was the problem. if I had caught up to this post before you spent the money I could have told you that. the other bad news is the lift pump the dealer put on, can be had from a Cummins shop for around $130-$140

it takes all of 20 minutes to put on too. I would have the dealer take the pump back off and roll the truck out into the lot for you. then bring your tool box and put on the cummins part, right there in front of them. the part number is 3990105 and you may need a pig tail to adapt it, it is:4025182 and cost $7.00

as for the injector pump $1200 is about right and if that is installed I wouldnt feel bad.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

You were absoulutely right about it being the injector pump. The price ended up being 1200.00 for the rebuilt pump and 286.00 for the labor. I ended up putting out almost 2 grand in that 1 week to cure a fuel pump problem! That sure seems mighty outrageous to me. But I can honestly say it sure is nice to have all the power back in the truck that Cummins will fly. I also learned not to use our local parts changing dealership anymore. We will take it the 75 extra miles to the real repair facility.

Thank you all for your help and advice, and even with the problems that has still been one tough truck.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-27-2001, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Default P7100 pump problems??????

While I'll never disagree with your certain misfortune of the P7100 failure due to the fact that its been replaced,I'd definately be asking what part caused the failure in the pump,,P7100's do not fail like the VP44's on the over-valved trucks and unless someone did not run any additive thru at times causing excessive wear problems due to a lubrication ,or lack of,problems usually do not happen with them,,Now there is a failure that can come if someone runs the torque plate to far front or runs it without a plate causing the rack(fuel rack) to over travel and break of a $1 pin that will cause symptoms that you had,,Prices were excessive you incured,and as prostock said already and I concur,TDR membership would help you when these things arise,a quick post and you'll get an answer,,Wealth of their search engine for things is unmatched,,I also agree that you need to pound the area DC rep with the dealerships less than 5 star service,,All your sensors you could have installed easily and the reflash SHOULD have been the TSB and you need not pay for them,,98 12 valvers are the strongest of the bunch and the most sought after as far as B.O.M.B.ing goes and the WILL make some serious HP and Torque,,Patience my son,buying used is just sorting out a truck that someone would not mess with and in the end,you will be very happy with it,,If not I'll add this then go,,A 98 12 valver I can put anyone into anyday,they DO NOT sit on a lot very long at all,,Last one I had here I sold in 14 minutes of its arrival from the auction,it was not even cooled off,trust me here its a fine ride,just work it out,,Kinda sounds like same thing I told Prostock when he bought his 12 valver,, LONG LIVE THE THUNDER TRUCKS P.S.=Sorry I did not catch your post fast enough to help you,I been dealing with a family illness that consumed alot of my time,,Now I'm back and badder than ever,he he he .....