Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-16-2001, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin GM Duraslack gets smoked by a Cummins!

It was a beautiful sight. There were over 100 cars at a local cruise-in on Sunday. Towards teh back of hte lot, a Chevy owner started talking smack about his new Duramax diesel. One of the Dodge boys tired of it rather quickly.
Being the manly-man types they were, the trucks were backed towards one another and the tow strap came out.
About the time that the starter said go, the Chevy was squalling away and the Cummins was making steam. It was great! The Chevy driver wouldn't let off the throttle, so the Cummins guy was dragging him like it was going out of style.
It did get a little out of hand when the Dodge got up to about 20 mph (big parking lot). He was still dragging the Chevy when he turned around to bring him back. That's when Mr. Duramax floored the brakes. It didn't help much. The Dodge kept going.
When they finally stopped, things started to get a bit ugly, but the crowd came over and calmed 'em down.
I guess that Chevy guy won't be messing with any more Cummins trucks.
Poor guy had to be stupid to try that against a Cummins wearing a 1000 lb steel flatbed. Traction wasn't an issue.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:51 PM

Gotta' luv that Cummins power....
Old 10-16-2001, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

Wow, Sounds like fun, and nobody took any pictures?
Old 10-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

the dodge is a heavier truck and the cummins has plenty of power. I have heard chevy claims the most power for a diesel in it's class.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin That's HILARIOUS!!!

LOL!!!

Was either one of them a 4wd? Either one a dually?
Did they just go at it in 2wd?
Old 10-16-2001, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Haven't had any experiences with the new Duramax yet, but here is my little diddy. Back in the spring, I was a visiting a buddy of mine in Michigan. He got a call from a friend of his who was stuck at the local WalMart parking lot. His friend had an mid-80's vintage Chevy K20 with the huff and puff 6.2 Diesel. Well it wouldn't start and he needed a jump. We ran out there with a jump start box, and couldn't get it to turn over. Since we couldn't really get to it with jumper cables, we thought we would just pull start it. While I drove around to position the mighty Cummins, they pushed the Chubby out of the parking spot into the isle. We hooked up my chain to it and pulled is slowly over towards the edge of the parking lot. When we were away from the people and cars, I edged the speed up a bit so they could try and start it. I felt a little tug as they were trying to turn it over. (They do have a little compression after all). I wasn't watching in my inside rear view mirror, as I was watching them in the side mirror and also where I was going. As I looked forward I heard this squealing. Apparently they had been trying to signal me that it was running and after not being able to get my attention, they just jammed on the brakes. Had it not been for the fact that my window was down and I heard the squealing, the Cummins would have probably dragged it for quite a while. Didn't even know he was trying to stop.

Craig
Old 10-16-2001, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

yeah. the Chevy was in 4wd and the Dodge was a duallie.
It's all good. Each had four wheels pulling (maybe three on the GM) but the Dodge had big weight with that industrial bed on that thing.
I would hear that he straight piped it, but I dunno if he'd done any other mods.
Gotta love that Cummins power. I had a 7000 lb trailer behind my '92 Cummins when the traffic took a dump on the highway. That's when I decided to join the other motorists and cross two not too steep ravines to hit the service road. Some woman got her big 80s Pontiac stuck so I lashed on and yanked her out too.
No Problemo!
Old 10-21-2001, 11:54 PM

Default dodge power

a friend of mine sold his dodge for a new chebie. he says that the new diesel is makes good power but is slowly brought on to protect the alison trans. he said his dodge diesel before he turned it up had more full throtle punch than the chevy. but part throtle was lacking. he tells me that the chevy is just the oppiset it has great part throtle power. slow wot power.