Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-16-2001, 05:07 PM

Default how does one install/remove camshaft bearings?

OK, I'll admit it, I don't have a clue about the method for removing and installing camshaft bearings. Can anybody enlighten me on this? I've got a block that needs to be hot-tanked and the cam bearings need to come out... last time I just paid the shop to do it but I am not fond of paying big bucks for things that I can do myself. Must be flashbacks to the time the local tire store charged me $25 for 30 seconds worth of work to remove and replace a wheel stud...
Old 10-16-2001, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

The shop should charge you $25 for the install.

You need a special tool to install cam bearings.

They are kinda tricky to do. You'll go thru a couple of sets of cam bearings to get a feel for it.

Let the machine shop that hot tanks the block install them.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:10 PM

Lightbulb bearing install

I purchased a cam bearing installer/ remover from a Company called Power house products , in early september and they sent it through very Quickly: received it FOUR days later. Complete kit has various drivers for different size bearings,all arbours are included. It's a little pricy, But I wanted it for the same reasons to remove bearings prior to tanking,and installing new or old bearings. Though I don't think thats the best Idea ,using old bearings.
Have only used it once so far, that makes it a long way from breaking even.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

Goose, I have to go along with Hybridized. Let the machine shop do it for $20-25, unless you expect to be building lots of engines. For a small block LA engine, each cam brg. is different diameter. You would need a driver for each one. I can see your point about saving money. I've already sunk about $1600 in my 318, and it's still on the engine stand! Good luck on your project.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:38 PM

OK, I'll go ahead and have them remove the bearings... I just didn't want to pay any cash for something that I might be able to do easily myself. Thanx for the replies!
Old 10-19-2001, 10:25 AM

If you want to go on the cheap to get them out, I saw someone use a exhaust pipe expander as a adjustable mandrel. He used allthread and positioned the mandrel behind each bearing, tapped the allthread into the end of the mandrel and used a washer and nut behind the front journal and turned the nut and the allthread pulled the mandrel through, pulling out the bearing. It was ugly but it worked. I suppose you could do it in reverse to install them, but 25.00 is worth getting them installed.

Mickey Mouse Garage, its cheap but you cant watch....