Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-2000, 08:54 AM
Young Mopar Life

Biggrin

The new "CAM" Issue was very interesting especially the 470 horse 360(puts that poncho to shame I bet!)

------------------
Keep'n it Alive for the next generation
'63 Plymouth Fury 2 DrHT
* '71 383 Torker Man.,
Comp 280H cam,
Predator Carb
Old 12-16-2000, 09:14 AM
Inactive User

I subscribed when Fryburger(sp?)was the editor--I think that magazine turned around at that point--and still subscribe.

The cam article/test was great, and good reading.
Old 12-16-2000, 06:57 PM
Young Mopar Life

Yes I like it a lot because its almost all tech and even though they cater mostly to chevys there are usually a couple really good articles I benefit from, Besides we have to know what the enemy is doin with there cars, And I really liked the cam article
Old 12-16-2000, 08:18 PM
Inactive User

Started reading Car Craft in the early 60's. I can remember when it was a smaller format, about the size of readers Digest. It has always been the tech side of Peterson Publishing whereas Hot Chev, I mean Hot Rod has always been the Show side.
There have been a lot more mopar articles recently.
Old 12-17-2000, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZIPPY:
I subscribed when Fryburger(sp?)was the editor--I think that magazine turned around at that point--and still subscribe.

The cam article/test was great, and good reading.
Same here. The guy who took over after Frieberger (?) seems to be doing a good job of continuing the positive momentum.

------------------
68 Cuda, twisties style
http://members.nbci.com/magnumcuda/sprfish.htm
96 Club Cab 4x4, Cummins 5spd
Old 12-18-2000, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Do you mean Chevy Craft magazine?
I use to read it but the MoPar articles were few and far between.
I have noticed that classic MoPar Muscle cars are popping up here and there in popular culture. I have seen several country music videos were instead of the cowboy hero being behind the wheel of a '57 Chevy he is wheeling a bad in black 'Cuda instead. Or the forlorned country babe is crying the blues behind the wheel of a sharp '73 Challenger.
The movie Mystery Men was full of Dodge Chargers. Very interesting. The MoPar mystique has made an impression on popular culture............Its about time.
Old 12-18-2000, 12:56 AM
Young Mopar Life

Yeah weren't there a bunch of Charger cop cars in mystery men?
Old 12-18-2000, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

I used to read it a lot in the mid-70s to early 80s. It used to be a bit more diverse in the types of cars featured i.e., fewer Chevy's. Since I started getting back into muscle cars (Mopars) a year ago, I've thumbed through a recent few issues and thought they've improved a bit, but not to the point where it's worth subscribing to. I liked the cam article though. BTW did anyone see the comparison of the Dana 60 to the 8/34 in this month's Not Rod? I thought their conclusions were interesting. Petersen Publications is going to market their mags to the biggest audience with the least effort/cost possible. That means Chevy and Ford. It would be nice if Petersen recognized Mopar by giving us our own mag, but I guess they feel the market is saturated.
Old 12-18-2000, 08:08 PM
Inactive User

Is'nt MOPAR MUSCLE a Peterson publication?
Old 12-18-2000, 09:12 PM
Inactive User

Yeah TL, I think Peterson bought them out a couple years ago. I've subscribed to Car Craft since the early 80's and ever since that sandal wearin' dude took over at CC it has really improved. Its definatly my most, bestest favorite now. And so far the guy that took over as editor has been also doing a good job. But, I think Freiburger still has a hand in it somehow.

[This message has been edited by dartmeister (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old 12-18-2000, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

I think Matt King is the editor of Car Craft. Did any one of you notice the 2 Dusters they own. Steve Dulcich is the man behind alot of articles about mopars in Car Craft and Mopar Muscle.

------------------
Goldduster
'70 Duster 318 2bbl
http://duster.svhost.com/duster70?REC=0
The Plymouth Duster Homepage
http://duster.excelland.com?REC=0
Old 12-19-2000, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

friedburger was at four wheel &off road for a couple years and then went to car craft i have liked what he did with both mags. and where else can u get a year script. for less than 10.00 what a bargen i still get 4 wheel,car craft and mopar muscle all good buys for the buck.
Old 12-19-2000, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

One of the guys at HOTROD is a mopar freak..Steve Magnante, he used to work at StageV Eng. I asked him once why not many mopes were featured in the mags, some of you won't like the answer, Steve said "to many mopar guys are into this restored stuff, we don't find many really nice modified mopars, when we do find one, we feature it". He's right, when you go to the nationals, you see row after row of restored stuff and quite a few with aftermarket wheels, valve covers, some chrome and a few other things, but how often do you see something really different. What about that Challenger X that was on Power Tour, that's a cool ride, the 66 Charger "Skully", the 71 Cuda with the v10, the Challenger with the vortec blown B-1, we get pretty decent coverage considering quality modified offbrands outnumber us 100-1. So there you have it guys, want more mopes in the mags other than Muscle Car Review, build something that is different and gets attention.

Monte Smith
Old 12-19-2000, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

I agree Monte!!
Old 12-19-2000, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

Carcraft has had a definite (positive) Mopar bias of late which is good to see. At the local (St Paul) Carcraft show, they have had special consideration for Mopars the last couple of years as well as special discounts. I hope it continues.

[This message has been edited by turbododge (edited December 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by turbododge (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old 12-20-2000, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

I stand corrected on Mopar Muscle being owned by Petersen.
Old 12-20-2000, 10:42 PM

Car Craft has really turned the corner since Freiburger took over in 1998. Previous to 1998, Car Craft was essentially a lame magazine that lacked imagination and had a strong Chevy bias that annoyed too many people (hence the Camaro Craft moniker). Then Freiburger came over...

Suddenly, the magazine became less obsessed with Chevys, and featured a greater variety of vehicles. Suddenly, the magazine featured fun & zany articles such as "how to build a demo derby car" and "driving across America in a Plymouth GTX". More significantly, the magazine changed its focus to more real world, cheapskate buildups that the average backyard mechanic could relate to.

The format was so successful that Hot Rod started to borrow ideas from Car Craft. I am a big fan of the magazine, and I have been a subscriber since 1998. I thoroughly enjoy the magazine and continue to be a loyal suscriber.

Freiburger has since moved on to "Rod and Custom", but his legacy lives on. Thanks Car Craft!
Old 12-22-2000, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

As far as a main stream, pick it up anywhere type of mag it is the best. The tech is generally low budget and pretty interesting and they are doing alot more mopar than anyone else. I think the tech info we get depends on what the writers are driving at the time so they can build there cars on the cheap. I may be wrong but thats what it looks like. They also always have an AMC in there some where which is good too.
billy
Old 12-22-2000, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

I read it cover to cover the day its delivered because its hilarious. Does anyone remember the "Pacer: Center of the Automotive Universe" article a few years back? I also pay attention to all the brands, Buicks, Ponchos, Mercs to get ideas for my 'Net. Just because its a Chitrolet, doesn't mean I can't rob it of parts. The Net has 74 Camaro buckets in it right now. Thinking about a 70s firebird console with Megashifter. Brand X stuff is a whole lot easier to find, not to mention cheaper. Brand X guys: You are as fast as you want to believe, just as long as you wreck it and sell me some parts!

------------------
Nitro
69 Coronet 440
90 W250 4x4
00 Avenger ES