Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-19-2001, 01:27 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy Milodon oil system question

Hello....

I'm having a 451 engine built at my local speed shop. One of the engine techs said I must "prime" the engine everytime before starting it when using a Milodon oiling system. I plan on using a dual line set up. I'm starting to think this guys on crack. What's the truth...
thanks..... A
Old 10-19-2001, 03:34 AM
Inactive User

I have heard that too, but am not sure why? I've got a single line with a static pick up and I have not primed anything. It takes pretty much the same time for the oil pressure to get up as with the old stock pick up.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:32 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have a complete milodon system on my race engine, and I don't ever prime it before startup.

Just the first time with a fresh engine.

There has not been any trouble with it, I get full oilpressure as soon as I crank the engine.
Use a mecanical oilpressure gauge and look at it when you crank the engine, after 1 second or so I get 60 psi, and that is when it has'ent been driven in 2 weeks.

I use the dual swingpickup system with milodons aluminium pump.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:49 AM
Inactive User

I don't think a pre-luber is an absolute necessity, but I plan on buying one (most likely Milodon) for my best engine. Here's my rationale, for whatever it is worth.

The guy who built and reworked my heads said that the top of the valvetrain (rockers/arms/pushrods,etc.) should never be without oil, not even for a second, ever. True, you may get a 60 psi reading once you crank it up, but that reading is taken in one spot, fairly near the pump, so that may not be indicative of the oil pressure, say at the rocker arms of say, cylinder #1.

I don't believe the claims that you will increase your engine's useful life by 80%, but I don't think the extra protection would hurt. If this engine is your baby, then get it. Otherwise, skip it.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

I have the same setup as jocke, and the only time I primed the oil pump was before I started the engine on initial breaking in.

When I start the engine, oil pressure quickly follows.

Oil pressure on a B/RB block is taken on the backside of the engine which is no where close to the oil pump.

I have only heard of one person that always primed there oil pump. I would guess that their pump was worn badly or had huge clearance in the pump from the get go.