Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-19-2001, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Default installing hooker brand headers on a 74 charger big block

A few questions about installing hooker headers on
74 charger w/400ci motor.
It looks like they will slide in on the passenger side, the driverside looks real tight. Do I need to disconect the steering on that side or will they slip in from below. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2001, 07:18 PM

You'll most likely have to drop the steering linkage and lift the engine a bit to get them in. You may have to loosin up the starter and don't forget to disconnect your battery. Take it slow and easy, use good gaskets and tighten evenly. Also you may have to remove your spark plugs on the drivers side to get them in. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2001, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the pointers,I have all the goodies for the job,copper header gasket and aluminum collector gaskets.
A question I neglected to ask at first. Is it possible to use the exuahst manifold studs or do they need to be removed and bolts used instead?
Old 10-20-2001, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

I really doubt you have enough clearance to get the header past the studs. You likely need to take them out and get bolts. You may also have to take the torsion bars out to make the headers go in easier.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:38 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Don't forget to put some kind of sealer or rtv on the threads of your header bolts. You now have an open hole into the coolant jacket of the cylinder heads!
Old 10-20-2001, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys,this is some helpful info.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:32 PM
Inactive User

heres what youll need to do,drain some antifreeze as the exh bolts go into the water passage then unbolt the drivers side motor mount(only pull the thru bolt)disconnect battery and pull the starter,unbolt exh manifold and cut exh pipe near trans crossmember,I like to leave as many studs as possible in the head mainly because its near impossible to extract them after you break em off!! plus they hold the gasket and header in place while tightening you may have to cut the 2nd and 5th one off a bit though.Now jack up the engine on the pan with a good size piece of wood,of course you need the car as high as possible at least 24",now you can slide the header in place but dont tighten untill you get the starter in place and bolts started,a mini starter is a great idea at this point you can buy 1 for a 92 dakota with a 318 rblt for around $85,take your time as it can get frustrating,youll defunately need another set of hands while doing the starter.The pass side is a breeze but you may need to lift the lotor slightly on that side too.............PRO.....
Old 10-21-2001, 01:01 PM
Inactive User

HAD TO LIFT MOTOR AND SET HEADERS IN PLACE THEN SET MOTOR DOWN AND HOOK EVERYTHING UP, HAVE DONE THIS TWICE OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. PUT A SET OF SUPER COMPS ON MY 74 CHARGER 440 AND A SET OF COMPS ON MY DADS 74 CHARGER SE 400 CHECK OUT THE 74 440 AT THE FOLLOWING SITE http://pages.zdnet.com/cl440/moparornocar/
Old 10-21-2001, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys you have cleared up all the mystery in the matter.
Fortunatly I have access to a lift so Ground clearance is'nt an issue. I figure I wiil need to wedge a porto power betwen the floor and some point on the engine to lift it.At this time funds dont allow for a mini starter but it is on the list.
Thanks again and good luck to you all.