Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-23-2001, 08:45 AM
Inactive User

Default moser axles

now that ive put about 30 miles on the new suspension, i come to find out that there may be interference problems with the moser axles and green bearings in an otherwise stock rearend. i was told by a guy at a show thats running this to check for endplay. how do i do this as i have no endplay adjusters anymore? i really dont need to wipe bearings, axles, or rearend parts, guys. so any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
mike
Old 10-23-2001, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Here is the deal...

I have the same axles in my '70 Dart. There is a nub (spacer) that fits between the axles in the center section of the 8 3/4 that needs to be removed. If you take one of the axles out and look down the tube with a flashlight you will be able to see if it is in the center section. If what you see looks like the end of the axle you removed (which I doubt) you are ok, if not you will need to remove the little piggy (center section).

Remove the center section and take out the spacer. There is a pin that holds the spacer in, so you will need to press that out and then remove the spacer. This is critical since you no longer need to adjust the end play as the green stripe bearings don't need it. You can trash the axle bearings very quickly if you haven't removed the nub/spacer.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 PM
Inactive User

the "axle shaft thrust spacer" there are different sized ones. getting the right one (possibly shorter) would be the right anwser. I am running the green bearings, and moser axles, with out a problem. and I still have my axle spacer in. your axles were probably orderd just a hair to long
Old 10-23-2001, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

Hey dewme5:

I disagree with you. The biggest problem with the moser axles and green sripe bearings is not the length of the axles, as they are the same length as the stock axles, but where the bearing is placed on the axle itself. The green stripe bearings are desinged so you do not have to set the axle end-play, so you do not need the "axle shaft thrust spacer" when running the green bearings. Sometimes to get them adjusted correctly you need to have the bearing pushed further on the axle or the opposite.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

Dart:
let me get this straight. i can have the position of the green bearings changed if i have interference problems? does this not eliminate all problems? how would i go about this, opther than a press, that is.(i had no idea that the position could be changed, as the axles came with the bearings on them)
also, i do not know yet wether or not i have interference problems. i know there is the potential for them, but that is not the same as having them. im still looking for a way to check this.
mike.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

The first thing you need to do is to remove the "axle shaft thrust spacer" from the center section. This is mandatory. You don't need it with the axles and it may be pre-loading the axle bearings, which in turn will trash them.

Once you re-install everything and all is good, i.e. no vibrations, noise etc. then you are golden and don't need to do any more. If you still have some vibration, or anything else funny, you will need to look at the bearing depth on the axles.

Does that make sense??
Old 10-23-2001, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

One more thing, I would guarantee that you are having interference problems if you haven't removed the spacer. The Moser axles should be the same length as the stockers, but one never knows.

The only way to move the bearing is with a press, but you don't need to worry about that until you have removed the spacer.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

ok. cool. thanks, dart.
mike
Old 10-24-2001, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

This is why the "green" axle bearings really shouldn't be used on the street as they have no side load capibility.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:36 AM
Inactive User

Technically Christopher is correct...

If you are driving it daily you might reconsider the green stripe bearings.