Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-26-2000, 05:27 AM

Hello everybody, I have a question for you. I have decided to put the 440 in my Challenger. The reason I've decided to go with the 440 over the 380 crate motor is because I have a 440 sitting in my garage and I want to use it for something besides letting it sit in the garage as a garage ornament. Anyway, the question I have is about the torsion bars. I'm going to making my Challenger a street/strip car. I'm going to placing new torsion bars in the car. I wanted to ask you guys which torsion bar you think would perform the best on and off the track. I know alot of guys like the slant-6 torsion bars for racing applications, but I don't think I would want that for the street though. I figured the small block torsion bars would be my best bet, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think ?

Sly Fox Racing
Old 12-26-2000, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sly Fox:
Hello everybody, I have a question for you. I have decided to put the 440 in my Challenger. The reason I've decided to go with the 440 over the 380 crate motor is because I have a 440 sitting in my garage and I want to use it for something besides letting it sit in the garage as a garage ornament. Anyway, the question I have is about the torsion bars. I'm going to making my Challenger a street/strip car. I'm going to placing new torsion bars in the car. I wanted to ask you guys which torsion bar you think would perform the best on and off the track. I know alot of guys like the slant-6 torsion bars for racing applications, but I don't think I would want that for the street though. I figured the small block torsion bars would be my best bet, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think ?

Sly Fox Racing
[/QUOTE
THE HARDEST THING TO DECIDE IS HOW MUCH STREET OR HOW MUCH STRIP? IT IS HARD TO RACE THE CAR YOU DRIVE TO WORK. USUALYY YOU WILL LOOSE AT THE STRIP AND WALK TO WORK. BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, THE SMALL BLOCK TORSION BARS WILL DO FINE.YOU MAY LOOK INTO ADJUTABLE FRONT SHOCKS.
Old 12-28-2000, 01:16 AM
Inactive User

I agree on the small block torsion bars. I tried the 6cyl bars in my '70 Dart and hated them on the street. Remember that the 340 and 318 bars are different diameter and the 340 ones will give you better handling with good track performance.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:54 AM

I have 318 torsion bars in the front of my 70 383 challenger with XHD springs in back and no sway bars with gas shocks. It handles good enough for street driving and is loose enough for the strip. Hope this helps.

------------------
M....massively
O....over
P....powered
A....and
R....rare