Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-24-2001, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

Default studded block

What are the advantages of using studs for the heads and
main caps?
Any disadvantages?.....other than cost.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:38 PM

No disadvantages for using them on the main caps I can think of. With studs on the heads, you might have a bit of trouble getting the heads off with the motor in the car. I think with the heads the biggest problem would be the master cylinder, but thats no biggie.
Now if you have a Hemi..............
Old 10-24-2001, 09:23 PM

Default got em

I run head studs + main studs on both my cars + found on our drag car(69 super stock dart) we had an easy time lifting the heads on thanks to the head studs.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:10 AM
Inactive User

Pulling the heads shouldn't be a problem if you're using the studs the way they are designed to be used. I have them on my 392 Hemi. The thing is, the studs should only be screwed into the block until they bottom out in the hole finger tight. If you have to pull a head later on, just unscrew the studs and take them out before you lift the heads off.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

If you plan on making any major horsepower I would highly recommend main studs. They provide a better clamp than a bolt. I used to run a 498 in a pulling truck. I tried steel caps and aluminum caps with studs They work for a while but eventually the caps start to walk and main bearing problems start. The stock block simply can't handle it when enough power is applied.

When main studs are used it often distorts the main journals. If you use them there is a great chance that your block will have to be line honed.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

I've been using them on my Magnum 360 for about 2 years. On N20, I'm pushing over 500RHP. I haven't had a problem...yet. Speaking of main caps, does anyone make a main support to tie the mains together? I know the 5.0L crowd has been using them for years on their stock 2 bolt blocks with good success. It won't replace a aftermarket block, but seems to be good insurance for those pushing the envelope on a stock block. Does any company currently make one?
Tom
Old 10-26-2001, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

There is one company producing a full main girdle for the B/RB engines. I'm not sure if they do LA stuff.
I don't recall the name of the company, but the pistures were pretty impressive. It was rated for over 1000 hp.
It was discussed a little while back on the "other" Mopar board. Perhaps one of the guys over there still has the info.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:51 PM
Inactive User

What is the name of the other site. I may do a search on it.
Tom