Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-24-2001, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Question Sway Bars

Howdy:

Got another question.I heard that it's no good to have sway bars on when ya go off-roadin? To that end, some people have a wingnut setup so they could sorta quick disconnect. Any truth to either of these?

I heard that the sway bars would keep your frame to rigid, thus causing frame and/or axle damage?

Later
Ugg
Old 10-24-2001, 06:49 PM
Regular Guy

Dude, if you are taking that beautiful blue R/T off-roading in a place where you need to disconnect the sway bars - you probably should look at getting a beater CJ.

Crawl under your truck and look at how close the bump stops are to the suspension, disconnecting your sway bar, while providing some more travel (droop) won't help much because the uptravel (stuff) is limited.

If you had a lift (which isn't make for 2001), then you might get some more articulation by disconnecting but then again, spend $1500 on a lift or $1500 on an old CJ that you can beat the crap out of and not damage the $35k R/T.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Kevin:

Thanks Bro, it's not for me, but a friend. I totally agree with you about the beater. The D cost way to much to do any serious off-roadin. Oh sure, I'll still go and hit the trails with ole #3, but no trailblazin. That's why I'm keepin the Suburban. It runs great, but the body's fallin off. Severious Rustitus.

But this friend of mine goes 4 Wheelin often. BTW, I CAN'T be crawlin under the D anywho. He also does allot of breezeway drivin. That's the delemia. He wants the best of both worlds. Hey, why not? So, what's the scoop? Anybody hear of this kinda setup? Not the friend of a friend stuff, but seen it or done it.

Later
Ugg