Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Default What is a good first few mods??

I just bought my wife a new Durango RT and from what I hear you can modify it. What are the best bangs for my buck? I would like to get it running against my SS!! Thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Mods

LDSS:

Well it all depends on what you want to do. I have a 01 R/T also. but I tow heavy loads. I'm always looking for the most bang for the $$$$ cause I'm so cheap. I was told to start with the exhaust, and from there, the intake. Also, because towing was very important to me, and the R/T's suspension so lacking for that, that was my starting point.

Having an R/T, you can go right to the headers. Whatever brand that you get, try and get stainless steel. It last the longest. Your stock exhaust system is all stainless too, so if you replace any piece of it, replace it with stainless.

So Bro, decide what ya wants to do with it first, then pick your poison, er, I mean mods. There's TONS to choose from. Which, for a person as cheap as me, hurts. I still spend too much. Ahh, but who am I kidding? I enjoy every second of it.

Later, & Good Luck
Ugg
Old 10-25-2001, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Exhaust is a given. You can do something simple like cut-in a free-flowing muffler, or replace the whole system from headers to tailpipe. An inexpensive cat-back or cut-in muffler is probably the best bang for the buck.

The next step is to switch all fluids to synthetic. You'll protect the engine better and pick up some hp as well.

After that, if it was me, I wouldn't waste my money on a fancy intake or throttle body port. Get the Edelbrock filter or a 11" can for now, and take the money you would spend on a tb port and buy the M1 2bbl intake.

If you still want more, get the R/T heads, and maybe even the performance dampener and double-roller chain.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

LDSS - Welcome to MoparChat!

You'll get alot of solid opinions here, so heres mine

1- Start with intake-
IP Stage II, TonyD, K & N, others
Fastman or F & B Throttle Body

2- Next Exhaust
Cat back
Headers
High Flow Cat
or all of the above at the same time

3- Ignition/Wires
MSD 6A or AL
Plugs
Magnecor wires (I have MSD 8.5 cause I got them for next to nothing. I have always been a Magnecor fan. Best wire IMHO!

Now you have the basics done, at this point you can go as deep as you desire.....

4- Flash your 'puter or obtain a performance PCM
5- M1 manifold
6- Heads and all the rest that goes with it
7- SC or Juice
8- Go all out with the blown 408!
9- Gearing

Its all of matter of money! Most of all, HAVE FUN!!

Ron Wilson
Old 10-25-2001, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

Hey thanks a lot for all your help guys. I wont be touching the heads or motor. I will plan on doing the filter and intake and also getting a muffler welded in. Which muffler sounds the best and performs the best? The dealer told me I had a free flowing exhaust right now.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

Ron,

"Solid Opinions"? Ain't that the truth!

LDSS,

I just realized that you had the R/T that already has the "tuned" exhaust. Not sure how much just a different muffler would help performance. Might be better to go with headers if you want to spend that kinda cash.

BTW, I'm a bargain shopper, so don't mind me if I go against the crowd and tell you not to buy intakes and throttle bodies. I just don't like spending money on questionable returns just to say I have them on my engine. I save up for the big ticket items that are guaranteed to put some punch to the ground (heads, s/c).
Old 10-26-2001, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Dont get me wrong, I am a bargain shopper also. I dont think I will have the cash to get some heads and SC. The intake deal seems to be pretty cheap, and it cant hurt. Thanks for letting me know about the muffler.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

LDSS:

Don't waste yor money goin that way. You've got an R/T, right? If ya do, it already comes with a DynoMax UltraFlo muffler and 3" pipe. Go with the headers 1st. Take it to someone whose already done a R/T. He'll know how to deal with your O2 sensors. Then go with an intake. Either Qiuck Ds, or IPs. Both excellent products.

Also, if your gonna be driving in snow, CHANGE your tires. The stock R/T tires suck big time when it just gets wet. Get a good All Terrain, All Season tire. They are hard to find, but they are out there. I got the YokoMama GeoLanders.

There's more to go on, but these should be among your 1st mods. You also get the most bang for your buck. That's something that I'm always interested in, being a registered Cheapskate.

Later & Good Luck
Ugg
Old 11-02-2001, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

When I changed out my entire exhaust I was very surprised to find that the stock exhaust on my 01 RT was 2.25 from the cat all the way out (except the tip of course).....Yup, measured twice. Needless to say, I was very surprised. The Dynomax muffler is OK, but the pipes are undersized.......

Just some food for thought!

Ron Wilson
Old 11-02-2001, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Intake, headers and exhaust. Great way to make a bang without killing your wallet.

I would do the exhaust last, as the mag that I read didn't see a significant power increase when they swapped out a set on a Dakota R/T.

Perhaps you might consider a Mopar PCM also. Won't hurt your warranty and give you just enough extra boost to make it worthwhile. You will have to start using premium gas though....
Old 11-02-2001, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

I had no idea the stock muffler on a RT was Dynomax, I almost bought a dynomax muffler for it!! Thanks for the info. I dont have a problem using 93 octane gas, I already do. Thats not bad for the car is it? The dealer told me it was but then I asked a Dodge tech and he told me it would make my car run better since I have the 5.9. Please keep the input coming.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

LDSS:

Since your all ready usin 93 octane, you probably have the performance PCM. I'd also check out your pipe, to see what size they are. When was your R/T made?

Later
Ugg
Old 11-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Not sure when the actual build date was but it is a 2001 model. How do I find out what the build date is?
Old 11-03-2001, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

LDSS:

Boy, what a guy, tryin to make me remember somthin. If memory serves me correct, it's a sticker on the drivers door, and maybe the glove box too. I think it even tells ya the time too. Naw, just funnin with ya on that part. I think it was April or May that they changed the R/T over. Does your say to use 93 octane? If it does, yours was built before the change.

Mine says to use 87 octane, and was built in July. There was only 12 miles on #3 when I got it. Not bad, huh? My (sniff) 99 (sniff) had 43 miles on it when I first got it. It had allot of test drives before me. #3 was practicly a virgin.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-13-2001, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Mine was built 3/01 and it says to use 93 octain. Was the early made actually diff from R/T later in the year??
Old 11-13-2001, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Firebat:

I think the change date was May of 01. My R/T takes 87 octane. Sometimes that's a .15 a gal difference. That adds up FAST.

Ugg
Old 11-13-2001, 10:51 AM
Inactive User

I agree especially since I get 12.7 MPG almost all the time. LOL
Old 11-13-2001, 11:01 AM
Inactive User

Firebat:

That's somethin I NEVER did, check my mileage. Don't need to know. I'm fighting enough depression. And I got my first D in 99.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-14-2001, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

I went to this new car owner thing at Dodge and they told me not to use premium fuel and dont use synthetic oil. Should I listen to them. This was the service manager swearing up and down against these things.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

I think he is full of it. Maybe on a brand new car I wouldn't use synthetic till I have at least 8K ot 10 K miles on it. That way I know the engine is about as broken is as it will go. I always had synthtic in my T/A
Old 11-15-2001, 07:19 AM
Inactive User

I use synthetic in my Camaro SS as well, but this guy says that Chrysler does not recommend it and that if there is engine problems, warranty can be denied if they discover synthetic oil was used. I think it is BS also, but at the same point, I only have 1000 miles on mine and I want to take advantage of my 75k warranty.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

LDSS:

Wow, finally, somebody with less mileage on their D than I have. I'm gettin close to the 2K mark. I waited til 10K on my first D before I added the synthetics. This time, I was planing on doin the cvhange at 3K. That guy that you talked to is ful of BS! If your really worried about it, use MoPar synthetic oils, and gear lubes. Kust never mention it to them, and never have them change your oil. Brsides, you want it done right anyhow, don't ya?

You do want your engine to break in, and DC says that happens at 500 miles. Cause I don't drive that much, I already had an oil change after 3 months. I've had #3 since the begining of July, so havin less than 2K on it means I go by time, not mileage. The better the engine runs, the longer it runs, and I plan on keepin this D til it dies of a ripe old age. Hell, I can see my great-grand son drivin it.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Inactive User

If I`m not mistaken, Dodge puts synthetics in the Viper. Pretty sure that DC puts synthetics in at least some Mercedes as well. That service guy needs to either pull his head out or get a plexiglass belly button so he can see where he`s going!
Dick
Old 11-15-2001, 05:20 PM

I'm with Ret AF D on this one. DC does put synthetics in the Viper and the oil change place I go to sells synthetics and they are a dealership.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

I've run synthetics on all my trucks (all mopars of course!). My D had everything changed over at 1K.

As for the PCM and premium fuel, they pulled the PCM's from stock RT's in 10/00. This was due to too many folks not heeding the requirement and running regular fuel and towing, neither of which is recomended with the PCM. The owners manual was not updated, but you should have an addendum included with the material. Also, you'll notice no "use premium fuel only" sticker near the fill......

Ron
Old 12-06-2001, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

My build date is 04-01 and it doesnt say which gas to use. I have been using 93 octane. If my D is suppose to take 87 octane and I am using 93 octane, does this kill my gas mileage or have any other negative effect? Where is it suppose to say which grade gas to use? I looked on my door but no luck.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

The recommended octane for my dak was in the owner's manual. 87 for me, course it changes according to mods.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Default octane

87 octane is the minimum you can use, 93 is ok to use and in my opinion should be used(93)