Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-27-2001, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Default I might get a '62 Valiant. Help!

I have a chance to buy a '62 Valiant. Does anyone know if there are engine mounts available for a swap to a 360? Is the transmission mount going to have to be changed? The Val has a 225 with the 904.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:10 AM

The K-frame is the same from 60 to 66 on all A bodies, so all you need is a set of v8 mounts for a 64-66 Valiant-Dart-Barracuda. Be aware that the engine compartment on a 60-62 Valiant is considerably narrower than the 2nd series 63-66 A body cars. But if you have the right mounts, a small block will drop right in, and a big block if you don't mind some cutting. PS: The heater core box may get in the way. If you can't find mounts and brackets, Schumacher advertises in most of the mopar magazines and are supposed to have these in stock. Also, the lugs on the block are slightly different for 360's , compared to 273-318s, but Schumacher probably has that covered too. I'd go with new mounts, originals aren't common any more, and most likely, in deteriorated condition.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Hey Stoga,

Thanks for your info regarding the 6 to 8 conversion for the 1962 Valiant!
Old 11-01-2001, 04:15 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default 360 in a 62 valiant

Personally I wouldn't do this swap for a few reasons. It'll have the 6 cylinder suspension and will not handle nice. The brakes will not stop this car in the amount of time you would like. The exhaust will have to be made and you can't use those 360 manifolds (Try the 273 manifolds and block off the emmissions holes.) or make headers. Looking for a lot of headaches? Do the swap. Need the recipe to get this project up and running? I'll save you a lot of time. I have a 1965 cuda , At one time it was set up like this 360, later lockup 904 transmission from a late 70's corboda , need a tranny cross member from a cordoba others may be similar.(The mount is relocated) Look for an 80's era AMC concord and pull the driveshaft from it. The one I have is from a 4-cylinder, it's Huskier than any of the original driveshafts of the 60's. There will be no cutting involved it slips in at the exact length ! The motor mount can just have washers or sleeve in the one hole that"s off on the drivers side. You need an after market shifter if going to be an automatic, If a stick make sure your engine has the crankshaft hole drilled for the pilot bushing. If you have any questions e-mail me at lloydfred3@aol.com. Good Luck
Old 11-01-2001, 04:52 AM
Inactive User

Also the wiper motor may need some work for distributor clearance; maybe a later model motor will bolt on. The torsion bars from a newer V-8 A-body are a bolt on, and you can also swap the disc brakes and the rear axle from the newer A-bodies. The stock 7 1/4" will propably not live long with a 360. Propably can use early A-body fenderwell headers, Schumacher motor mounts and the trans crossmember shouldn't need mods if used with the stock insulator. Depending on the rear axle you'll propably need a shorter driveshaft and because of the slip yoke in the newer transmissions the best bet is to get a longer driveshaft that you have shortened for the correct length and balanced. A 904 style V8 trans would be the easiest to fit since the transtunnel needs some mods for a 727. You'll propably need a new shifter too because the V8 904's for pushbuttons are hard to find, and they are not designed to handle the power of a 360, so you should reinforce it. If you do it, make the suspension & brakes OK first; you'll live a lot longer that way.