Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-27-2001, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Default mufflers

I'm replacing the stock exhaust system on my '70 440 Cuda with a 3" TTi system. The motor when finished should have around 450+hp. I want a nice powerful sound but not real loud or harsh. After all I'm not a teenager anymore (though I wish I was,lol) Should I go with DynoMax or Flowmaster? What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2001, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Your going to get lots of different suggestions because everyone has there own likes and dislikes as far as what sounds good, but I'm going to be redoing the system on my Dart soon and putting it back on the street and I'm going with TTI headers and a custom made system with a X-pipe and twin 2.5" MagnaFlows, they have a nice deep powerful sound without the annoying resonance that some of the other mufflers have.
Old 10-27-2001, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Smile flowmasters

I have a set of 3 chamber Flowmasters on my 68 Satellite w/440, Hookers and 3" exhaust. I think it sounds great. It's got that deep rumble but at cruise it is not overpowering inside the car. I would recomend them. Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:13 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

IMO...Hooker areo chambers. Best flowing chambered muffler on the market w/ good sound. Quite @ idle and cruise.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

JoeGrapes, I have the same car as you, 465 rear wheel hp. according to the calculator at Presage.com. I just put 3" system on 2 months ago and use Flowtech afterburners;- no resonance at all and loud enough to scare the competition but not a Cop attracter. I don't think I'd even try another muffler unless someone would guarantee me in writing I'd make more power or like the sound more. Let us know what you decide on and how you like them...........djs
Old 10-29-2001, 02:56 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

djswwg;

the more cfm you flow, the more power you make. How much in cfm do those mufflers flow? Sound is a "I like it , I don't like it" thing. To each there own.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

I have just installed a set of TTI's small block step headers with there 2.5 inch exhaust and Spin Tech mufflers the system sounds great but I am not sure how well the mufflers flow, I have heard a few good things about the Spin Tech mufflers. (Anyone out there know how well these mufflers flow?)
Jack
Old 10-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

I have a 73 dart sport 340. Factory high performance exhaust manifolds with two 2 chamber 40 series flomasters that are dumped. It sounds like a race car with the cam I have in it. They are very lound when you get on it and a little to lound inside at idle it gets very annoying for a daily driver. I would recommend if you go with the flowmasters go with the 3 chambers or the delta flow they are not as loud.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

I have a 73 dart sport 340. Factory high performance exhaust manifolds with two 2 chamber 40 series flomasters that are dumped. It sounds like a race car with the cam I have in it. They are very lound when you get on it and a little to lound inside at idle it gets very annoying for a daily driver. I would recommend if you go with the flowmasters go with the 3 chambers or the delta flow they are not as loud.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

I agree with Ram Indy, my 2 chamber flowmasters dumped in front of the rearend are loud enough to cause earthquakes, I'm switching to ultraflows with a crossover pipe.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Rumblefish360; a very good question, and one I don't know the answer to. But I'd like to find out, does anyone in our viewing audience have the answer? As for sound, again you're right, we don't all appreciate the same thing. One thing I like about the Afterburners is that there is no fibreglass or baffles to burn up or blow out, a problem I had with Dynomax mufflers. My mufflers are offset inlet and centre outlet, when you look in one end you can see daylight out the other. It appears that each tube extends into the muffler shell about 3/4 of it's length and is open and has louvres cut down it's length. So it looks to have very little resistance to flow. That's all I can tell you about them. I'm always open to looking at ways to make more power, so if you or someone else knows of a better muffler, please let's hear about it. Thanks..................djs
Old 10-29-2001, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

im running a 3" torque tech kit with 2 chamber delta flow flowmasters. i was very surprised at how much quiter th delta flows were then my previos 2.5" system with 40-series flows
Old 10-29-2001, 11:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

djswwg;

The hooker aero chambers are sub-posed to be the highest flowing chambered mufflers on the market. (441 cfm, size unknown.) A buddy has them on his BB Buick. Quite at idle and cruise with a "I'm here" at wot. I wish I could play a sound bit for you. There not an agressive nasty mean mother f'er, loud race sounding muffler. This is why i suggested them into the thread for JoeGrapes. They do have a nice deep rumble thats a bit on the quite side.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

I don't think that a 440 needs help sounding good. Only motors with less than 340 need help in sounding good. I've had everything from a $15 NAPA muffler to Flowmasters to Dynomax Super Turbos, and they all sound good.

That being said, the Flowmasters were way to loud. Like you said, I'm not a teenager anymore. I went to the Dynomax Super Turbos and like it a lot. I can carry on a conversation inside AND outside the car, but when I'm on it, people know. They flow like crazy and come with a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:38 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360
djswwg;

The hooker aero chambers are sub-posed to be the highest flowing chambered mufflers on the market. (441 cfm, size unknown.) A buddy has them on his BB Buick. Quite at idle and cruise with a "I'm here" at wot. I wish I could play a sound bit for you. There not an agressive nasty mean mother f'er, loud race sounding muffler. This is why i suggested them into the thread for JoeGrapes. They do have a nice deep rumble thats a bit on the quite side.

RUMBLEFISH PUT IT RIGHT ! Hooker Aero Chambers are JUST like he said. I´ve got a pair in my 440 E-body for a couple of years, now. Those mufflers are just what I wanted: at idle and when cruising they´re rough but NOT loud, the sound with my 284/484 MP cam is just plain cool. It makes all the enthusiasts smile when they hear it, thumbs up and all! And when you step on it it´s a whole different ballgame, I mean at full throttle they are LOUD and racy like there´s no end...! Kinda nice mufflers ;-)

Just my 2 cents, - BB 70 Challeng
Old 10-30-2001, 04:58 AM
mad440sixpack

What sounds the best?I have CCPA underchasi headers to 3 inch aluminum,3 inch 2 chamber 40 series flow,getting it dumped down?turn downs?or straight?
Old 10-30-2001, 07:11 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

WOW, Thanks for all the input you guys. You just made my choice of mufflers a LOT harder. LOL
Old 10-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

I also have Flowmaster 2-chambers on my Charger/383 with 2.5 inch exhaust. I admit that it is a bit liberal on the noise, but that is what I was after at the time. 2000 mileslater, I wish I had the money to try the Dynomax or Hookers...
Old 10-30-2001, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Currently I have a Thrush Glasspack Muffler (these 35" long dark red free flowing tubes) on my 318 powered truck. The sound is OK, but I'm converting to a dual exhaust system with headers and I'm wondering whether to buy an additional Glasspack Muffler for the additional exhaust or to switch over to the aero chamber mufflers.
Any opinions on which one flows best? And how about the sound? It is just OK now but will it be louder with headers and a dual system? I don't want to have it louder actually.

Frans Veldman
Old 10-30-2001, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

had glass packs on my Charger back when I thought I liked it loud....... if I remember right the Dynomax web site has the capability of letting you hear sound bites of different mufflers, not older V8 Mopars but still its the only site I've found that has them at all. I've had the system for my Charger purchased for almost a year now, maybe I'll get to hear it WHENEVER the motor get back together.....
Dynomax headers, JET-HOT coated
Race Readies exhuast dumps
Mr. Gas "X" crossover
Flowmaster Delta Flow 50's
bumper turn downs like original

GET REAL, GET MOPAR or GO HOME
little boys wear bowties, flatheads are for nerds
Old 10-30-2001, 08:19 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Cuda4play;

Getting it dumped down and turned down sound like the same thing to me. If you run it straight till it stops at the rear axle, it'll sound like cannons from under the car. Turn downs will have the note slamed into the ground where it will be hid a little. On the inside cabin, the sound will change only a little. Kind of like adjusting an EQ for the stereo. The sound is traped under the car ethier way. I have seen guys run a pipe from the muffler to the front of the rear wheel. It lets all know what's what while helping the noise inside the cabin to stay low. It just places the muffler closer to you rather than the axle. (Catch 22?) A 45* bend would be good.

Frans Veldman;

Hooker also makes a muffler called the Maximum Flow (sp) sorry) as well as the Dyno Max Ultra flo. They both use Stainless Steel packing.
It is "like" a glass pak design. I am currently running them (Hooker) on my Cuda. @ 2 1/2 inchs in size, these dual exhaust puppys sound like a glass pak, but are quiter and less of that annoying glass pak sound. Something I don't like for myself. There delivering a really nice aggresive sound. Not bad at idle. When I drop the hammer to WOT, WOW! the baratone horn sounds LOUDLY!
Da wife claims to hear me gettin on the parkway. And comeing home from a few house's down. Only one neighbor complained. You know the type, never happy with anything in her life kind of gal. What she reallllly needs is a big fat....er ...nevermind.
All the others say its not that loud and sounds mean!
I will be tradeing out for Aero's though.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Ok rumblefish now I'm confused. You say your hooker maximum flows sound like glasspacks, I've never heard them described like that. I have one on my truck and it sounds quiet but good, I don't want to switch to the dynomax ultraflows or hooker maximum flows if they sound like glasspacks.
We put flowmaster 3 chamber delta flows on my father in laws 340 dart and they sound good, not too loud or too quiet.
I need to build a crazy exhaust system that has bullet mufflers with dumps and then some pipe and quieter mufflers so I can open the dumps for the loud bullets at the big car shows and close them off to drive to work.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

All very good input; thanks guys! For now I'll stick with my Afterburners, if they ever rot out or give me trouble, I'll probably try the Hooker Aero's...............djs
Old 10-31-2001, 09:33 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Not quite glass paks

71 scamp;

They sound "LIKE" glasspaks @ WOT. IMO. It has that sound. When it's at idle or part throttle, it has that deep rumble that draws looks of awe. Many many comments of sounding good to mean have come. IMO, glass paks are loud with a sound that makes me cringe. <sp?>
The sound notes are not the same but similar. Inside the mufflers, they have tubes that run straight through or slightly bend depending on inlet/outlet spots. The tubes are perferrated and surrounded buy S/Steel packing. (Sound like how the glass pak is constucted?) Thats why I say they sound alike. However, the glass paks run straight and have less paking around the tube. This way of construction has less sound deading material. Thus not working as well as the Hooker mufflers.
@ WOT, the sound is not as loud due to the amount of packing around the tube, but has a sound not unlike the galss paks. It's a lot less annoying.
I really don't mind the Max-Flows that much at all. It's just not what I'm looking for.
I also don't think you'll mind them. I just like the chambered soud of the Aero's better.
As far as CFM for them go, there writin up to flow 595 cfm against an open pipe of 600 cfm. I think the size writin about was 2 1/2 inch pipe. Now looking at the numbers, you now know why there on the car.
Your idea of exhaust for show and go is one that many want. There is the Warlock to make things simple. Just uncork the side for a straight through flow. Unrestricted, straight open pipe.
In days gone past, I have seen a wizard weld up a flange and bolt on (After the muffler) a header glass pak. When going out to whoop it up, he would just unbolt the glass paks and run the big tin cans. When the race/nite was over, he would bolt the glass paks back up and silence the car pretty good.

I'm gonna try to get the wife to help out with her comp skills and the digital cam I got for Christmas. There may be a way to do this. Of hand, I don't know since the instuctions were lost. (Cross the fingers for me please!)
Old 10-31-2001, 09:58 AM

Check this link out:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../ESM/Aero.html

Best Regards, - BB 70 Challenger -
Old 10-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Nice chart Challenger. Looks like the Hooker's are the best in the comparison.
I have a "340" with "Hiflows" with crossover pipe 21/2 back to the tips. I am running "Flowmaster" 3 chambers. They sound GREAT at idle and and under throttle pressure. But, at any steady sort of speed they tend to "drone". I don't like it.
I think The Hooker's are worth a look.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Default 2 cents worth

Anybody heard of megaflow. My mileage went up, and they sound like you have a big block. They really sound mopar. Flowmaster, is a great muffler, thou they sound higer pitched, where as the megaflows have a deep sound, again mopar sound......Don
Old 11-02-2001, 03:38 PM
Inactive User

I think I have heard of Magnaflows. Can you buy them from Summit? How much?
Old 11-02-2001, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Megaflows

Howdy 71 scamp, I did't notice, in the beginning of this thread,...DartByU, is going to use them. I had mine done in a muffler shop. I don't think summit has them, check it out. I know you will like them. Don
Old 11-02-2001, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Ok I can't take it any more, you-all keep refering to Megaflow mufflers, the correct name is MagnaFlow, I just wanted to clear up any confusion. There may be a Megaflow muffler but if there is I don't know anything about them. And by the way you can get them at most good muffler shops or check out there website at http://www.magnaflow.com