Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2001, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Question Dumping Lean burn

I want to get rid of the Lean Burn system on my '79 318 Wagon
What's the best conversion kit to use? Also I read that after converting, I may have to do some adjusting on my ThermoQuad or possibly replace it because of lack of vacuum advance. Is this true?
Thanks.

jheels5@aol.com
Old 10-29-2001, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

Mopar Action (or was it High Performance Mopar?) had a tech article on this topic a few years back. They used the normal electronic ignition setup. I did the swap on my pickup and it ran alot better. I always save my old magazines so I'll look for that one and let you know which one it was.
It's the February '91 issue of Mopar Action(I guess it was more than a few years!). If you want tha article and can't find it anywhere, get back to the board and let me know. Maybe one of my kids can show me how I can scan and mail the article to you.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Great! Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look online to see if I can find a way to get some back issues. If I can't find anything i'll let you know.
thanks again.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:09 PM

Use any vacuum distributor. I used a junk yard one and grabbed the wiring and ecu and ballast at the same time. I have the 79 spark control setup aswell and didn't take that long because of the ballast already being in place. Only 2 wires had to be changed- one at the coil and another at the ballast.

The carb may or may not have a vacuum port for it. My 2bbl didn't, on the thermoquad I have on there now it's at the base of the carb at the front. You'll want a port that has no vacuum at idle. The leanburn carbs were also jetted differently then the non-leanburn ones, or at least that's what I've been told by mechanics who have been fixing Chryslers before the electronic distributors even came out.

There was also an article around about adding the needed port to the carb. It involved drilling the base and adding a piece of brake line in place as the port. Someome e-mailed it to me from another forum a few years back. If you need it I'll see if I still have it and pass it on.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:58 PM
Inactive User

goldduster318 has a good tech article on how to retro fit a gm HEI module inplace of a orange box for cheap performance upgrade.

http://liquid2k.com/duster318/tech/hei.html

Old 11-10-2001, 03:42 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Great info guys. Thanks, i'll be headed to "pick your part" next week.
Probably won't pass smog (Calif smog test) with these setups though, huh?
Thanks again
Old 11-10-2001, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

with the HEI you can by pass it and run back to the "box" whenever you choose. im not sure but i thought i heard that someone here knew how to convert a lean burn distributor over to vacuum advance??? the lean burns arent worthless as they are great alternative for efi retro fits. when swapping over to efi people have to disable the mech/vac advance in the distributor. it d be much easier to just swap in a lean burn which has no advance if im correct???
Old 11-11-2001, 03:10 AM

Default mopar

Mopar performance makes the best kit for the conversion + as for vac advance it is on the new distributor.the only problem is you will have to set your timing by ear because it does not line up with the marks on the crank after the change other wise you will notice better mileage + crisper throttle response.