Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:31 AM

Im going to build a motor this winter but i just can't decide on which one(i know this is probably makeing some of you guys mad if you know how many questions i've asked about different engines). Anyway, would a 496 stroker kit in a 440 with stock rods and KB pistons hold up, be fast, and be reliable? Fast meaning 11's, and reliable meaning driveable daily. The only reason for stock rods and KB's is my budget.
Any suggestions on anything ??

------------------
M....massively
O....over
P....powered
A....and
R....rare
Old 12-21-2000, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Friend of mind has a 496 inch stroker here`s wht he has:440 .040 over with an MP 4.15 stroker crank,he is using custom 7 inch EAGLE Hemi rods (to go with the short piston)Chrome moly wrist pins(chevy size)Forged Ford 460 pistons with the tops machined to fit....I can tell ya more if ya like?But IMHO there is no such thing as a budget 496 stroker!!
Old 12-21-2000, 03:00 AM
Inactive User

Welded stroker: http://www.devtex.net/paulscrankshop/stroker.htm
reworked stock rods and kb's, i bet you could put the whole bottom end together for under 2k... bet it would also run high elevens with good bowl ported heads and drive nice on the street.
Old 12-21-2000, 03:33 AM
Inactive User

Ross pistons cost just $200 more than the KB's.

having said that have you ever seen what happens when a KB piston lets go? it is not a pretty sight,it will bust in to many pieces and take a lot with it when it goes,too me that extra $200 is just cheap insurance.
Old 12-21-2000, 03:50 AM
Inactive User

If you look at Challenger's other post my stroker is spec'ed out there. Same as Coro500's except I'm using a 4.25" welded stroker crank from Paul's crank shop and using the smaller 2.200" Big Block Chevy Rod journal and a 7.1" Eagle rod that is MoPar width on the jounal end.

The 440 rods are strong enough for street/strip duty, I'm not a big fan of the KB's though but they do seem to hold up to mild (though not severe) abuse. I always run KB's about a thou to 1 1/2 thou looser than the KB recommended skirt clearance for longer stroke motors. I think this is good practice on strokers cause the piston speed is higher at any given crank RPM. Keep your motor on the slightly rich side with KB's to be safe, they don't like lean mixtures w/ high temperatures.

If you heavy shot peen the 440 rods and use ARP bolts and your clearances are right, the rods will be fine. You're going to need some 280+ CFM heads (to get any decent mid-high 5000 redline) and an 800+cfm carb for that thing and as well as a decently big cam, but if you get them and you can hook-up 11's will be easy for a daily driven ride.

Picking up the block for the 508 from the machine shop and ordering pistons tomorrow.

Wize 1

------------------
Streetwize
Old 12-21-2000, 04:53 AM
Inactive User

Been down this road. My first 496 was the "I'm going to school it's all I can afford special". 4.15 welded crank, cast pistons. Ran this with mild ported 415 heads with a Mopar .557 lift solid cam. Ran high elevens low twelves with a 3.91 gear. I moved up to the "should have done it this way the first time" combo two years later. Sent the crank to Muscle Motors to lighten it up. We had to add an incredible amount of mallory to make the cast pistons balance. Switched to Ross forged pistons which were nearly 1/2 as light as the cast slugs. I also stepped up to Mopar Stage VI heads and a Ultradyne solid cam .640 lift. Compression measured to 11.6 to 1. Always used my stock 440 rods. Quickest time so far is a 10.94 at 118. My recommendation is even if you are going for a street fighter is to definately go with the light weight forged pistons. The second combo revved noticably quicker.
Old 12-21-2000, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

I think that as long as you stay with production heads and lightweight pistons the 496 will not rew high enough to overstress the stock prepared rods. I think that you shouldn't go over 5500 with the KB's, and I think it is not willing to do that unless the cam is very big. As far as the ET's and the reliability goes, it's dependent on so many other factors that it's impossible yto give an answer for that.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-BODY:
We had to add an incredible amount of mallory to make the cast pistons balance. Switched to Ross forged pistons which were nearly 1/2 as light as the cast slugs
Wow, the need for heavy metal (mallory) could just about pay the difference for some light forged pistons (such as Ross, $499). Good thing to check before proceeding.

This is speculation, but I think less than about 525 hp is OK for a street/strip 500 CID with factory (LY) rods as long as they have been fully prepared (magnaflux, shot peened, resized.)
Old 12-31-2000, 09:12 PM
Inactive User

If you are on a budget why not build a 451 or 431, they are much cheaper and run just as good or better. I'm speaking from exp.I build hot street and race engines and have built many of both. The 451 is a real stump puller when done right.Trust me you don't want cast pistons in any performance engine they are for stock rebuilds as a little up grade.The real key is a good set of ported heads, I do 346 or 452 for an application like this, they work very well, I have engines out there with steel heads beating the pants off of Indy and B-1 engines. I can give you contacts to check on what I am telling you.Contact me at Tothperformance@csonline.net
Quote:
Originally posted by 70Challenger R/T S.E. 383:
Im going to build a motor this winter but i just can't decide on which one(i know this is probably makeing some of you guys mad if you know how many questions i've asked about different engines). Anyway, would a 496 stroker kit in a 440 with stock rods and KB pistons hold up, be fast, and be reliable? Fast meaning 11's, and reliable meaning driveable daily. The only reason for stock rods and KB's is my budget.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

If you are on a budget why not build a 451 or 431, they are much cheaper and run just as good or better. I'm speaking from exp.I build hot street and race engines and have built many of both. The 451 is a real stump puller when done right.Trust me you don't want cast pistons in any performance engine they are for stock rebuilds as a little up grade.The real key is a good set of ported heads, I do 346 or 452 for an application like this, they work very well, I have engines out there with steel heads beating the pants off of Indy and B-1 engines. I can give you contacts to check on what I am telling you.Contact me at Tothperformance@csonline.net
Quote:
Originally posted by 70Challenger R/T S.E. 383: