Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2001, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Default I need you help, ideas, input .......

I'm 19 and got a very nice 1970 Barracuda this past summer. I have been around Fords, but this is my first Mopar. I want to start to work on the car before it rots away. I want to turn it into an AAR clone. Here is what I have to work with. 318 auto on the column, a/c, disk brakes, 8 3/4 sure-grip (I think).

I want to have the side exit exhaust on it like an AAR. I would like to use two chamber flowmasters on it also. I plan on putting new leaf springs that are a tad taller for the exhaust. I want to make a set of subframe connectors for it also (the ones I have seen you have to cut the floor pans and I don't want to do that). What are your ideas or comments on all of this? Has anyone done anything like this?

My cousin had three rally wheels that he gave me. I got two 15x7 and one 15x8. Will the new reproduction rally 15x8 wheels have the same backspacing as the one I have? Will the new center caps and trim rings fit the wheels I have?

When I get the money put together I want to build a 360 stroker motor for it (408?). I like the new Edelbrock aluminum heads and would like to run a new reproduction six-pack on it, but I want to keep my a/c. Has anyone made some brackets that looked good and worked?

My cousin is good bodyman and said he would help me so I lucked out there. One thing that I do not like about Barracudas and Cudas are the front crome bumpers. I like the way the rubber bumpers almost mold in to the car. I saw a 1971 Cuda that was for sale on e-bay and the owners said it had a fiber glass front bumper on it, and it looked like a rubber bumper, not like the fiberglass bumpers that I have seen that are shaped like the crome bumpers. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Also I will be looking for a good reproduction AAR hood and rear spoiler. I know that parts for these cars are not cheap but I'm not going to pay an ungodly amount for them either. I already bought the lugnuts for my rally wheels, The Paddock wanted $3.95 per nut! They had both right and left lug nuts at my local NAPA parts store for $5.95 for a four pack and they look just like the orginals. Yep, I'm happy with my NAPA nuts .

I hope that you will all help me with my questions, or state any comments. thanks!
Old 10-29-2001, 09:41 PM
owner of The Thing

If you want to really match the whole ARR thing, you want to go to firmfeel.com and buy the extra-ratio pittman and idler arms for the steering. The ARR and T/A cars were the only ones to come with this option, as far as i know, and it would make your clone one step closer to a 'real' ARR. Also it's real fun to drive, I've got one in my '68 Coronet, and it made a huge difference.

toast
Old 10-29-2001, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

the flowmasters wont work with the aar tips. the aar mufflers had both the inlet and outlet on the same end of the muffler. flowmaster doesnt offer one like it.I looked had the same idea.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:27 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default WOW! A whole lotta ?'s goin on here!

year 1 has most of what you need. Including the hood and spoiler and mufflers. If you can find out who makes the stuff for year1, your doin real good. Otherwise, pay the piper.
The 6pak should work, but I dont know for sure. Perhaps another member can answer that.
MoPar performance sub frame connecteors will work. Weld them in after your done fitting them in.
The bummper is a swap meet thing. Look on the net for someone selling one. (You'll pay alot though.) The wheel question should be asked to the maker of them. Classicwheels makes them I believe.
Remember that looking good and going fast aren't cheap. If you think otherwise, your in for a rude awakeing.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

Frame connectors will interfere with the side exhaust setup; it will need to hang down too low for ground clearance, unless you raise the tailend up an ungodly amount.
Stock a/c setups (RV2 compresors) interfere with the 6pk base plates, unless you notch out the forward end.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

You know what, this is to much stress on you. Just give me the car and we will call it even. Sounds like you are going to have a NICE car.