Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-28-2000, 06:06 AM

Angry

I'm furious. I just installed new M.P. XHD leaf springs on my 70 challenger and it looks like a lowrider!!?? It measured 8 inches from the center of the front spring hanger mounting bolt to the ground. Its almost as low as a new corvette that i parked beside! Does anyone know how i can fix this-maybe longer shackles? or S.S. springs? How much do S.S. springs raise the car? Any help will help me. (Please, no airshocks)
Old 12-28-2000, 06:40 AM

Ummm.....Have you tried airshocks? (haha just kidding). You have me baffled. I have a 74 Challenger with stock springs. I just added 2 XHD leafs to them and it raised mine 1-1/2" - 2". Are you sure you got extra heavy duty and not just the heavy duty springs? As far as the SS springs go, you want to be careful when you select which ones you go with. I've heard the 3600 lb. springs raise the back end higher than what most people like. You might want to go with the 33 or 3400 lb. springs if you choose to go with SS springs. Sorry if I can't be anymore help, but why your car would sit that low with XHD springs under it baffles me.

Sly
Old 12-28-2000, 07:33 AM

They are the XHD ones. I ordered them form summit then checked the part #'s when i got them to make sure and everything checked out o.k. I wanted it around 2-3 inches higher than stock. I had to crank down the torsion bars 7 1/2 full turns to get it level. Rides good though but looks funny.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

70CHALL,i cant speak from experiance,but ive heard if the front spring hangers are installed upside down it will cause the car to sit lower.anybody know for sure?
Old 12-28-2000, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Flipping front spring hangers will lower a car almost an inch and a half, but the hangers bolt holes are offset. You would need to enlarge the bolt holes on the hangers
to "flip" them.
F.B.
Old 12-29-2000, 12:36 AM

I installed them correctly with the bolt hole on the lower portion of the hanger so it would be correct and higher. I can't stand it, I'm trying really hard to like it since springs arent that cheap and i dont want to buy more.

------------------
M....massively
O....over
P....powered
A....and
R....rare
Old 12-29-2000, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Typical MP quality,I'm furious with MP lately in fact I'm buying "other" brands because of poor quality parts.1.MP short block with 1/2 rod bearing left out!! 2.MP short block with standard rod bearings with a .010 crank!!3.6 cyl valve springs with 140 Lbs. of seat pressure!!Now they tell me ALL "P" parts are non-returnable!!!so much for buying from my dealer,at least you can return your springs to Summit,...PRO...
Old 12-29-2000, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Now I'm getting nervous
Old 12-29-2000, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

See! I'm so nervous I hit "send" by mistake. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about any other MP parts that people are having trouble with. I've bought lots of their stuff over the years and always found it to be top notch. Most recently the small block finned aluminum valve covers and 904 deep trans. kit. Is MP going to be the next "GER"?
Old 12-29-2000, 04:44 AM

and did you ever get those finned valve covers to seal???
Old 12-29-2000, 05:19 AM

Are there any companies that make longer shackles? I was thinking maybe around 1-2 inches longer and it would look good. Also, do you guys know of any companies that make good quality repros of the T/A hoods?
Old 12-29-2000, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

What kind of arc do you have in the springs (postitive, negative or flat)?. They are supposed to be flat, or slightly positive when mounted. If that is your case there is something else causing the low-rider appearance.
Old 12-29-2000, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Wow Pro, that sucks. Was all that on the same shortblock? I bought the MP distributor for my 440 a few years ago, and it came with a small block cap (I know the caps interchange, but it had a directional arrow stamped on the cap pointing the opposite way of the firing order- i.e. small block!) I have a problem with my vacuum advance, and I think it might be associated with the phasing. I also have issues with their tech support staff, but that's another story.
F.B.
Old 12-29-2000, 11:04 PM

Did some say "shackle extensions"??? My opinion.. don't even think about it. I did a 2inch extension quite a few years ago on my Duster and when going around a corner, extremely hard, they shifted. This is not something that is desirable!!!!!

------------------
1972 340 Duster
-Dyno @ 420hp/440ftlbstq
-Built 727 w/3000 stall
-3000lbs
1999 2500 4x4
-V10 w/5sp
-Manual xfer case
Old 12-30-2000, 06:34 AM

Folke- they have the correct arch in them and are mounted correctly with urethane bushings. I'm pretty sure the shocks are correct length if that helps, i got them new for a 71 charger and never used them. Should i just sell them and get some SS springs? If so, what spring rate should they be?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2000, 06:47 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Sorry to hear you are having all the trouble. I would be willing to drive up from Dickson to take this troublesome problem car off your hands! I don't mind even if it is snowing!
Old 12-30-2000, 07:55 AM

Sorry Rug, it's my first car and i can't let it go for anything(except maybe a black 440-6 4-speed 71 road runner with the air grabber hood with the orange and black interior buckets with a rallye dash and no console). This car has always been a nightmare for me, and makes me wonder why i want to keep it sometimes. Anyway, it stays with me.
Old 12-30-2000, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

If they are originally for a Charger they are to long (1”) to fit a Challenger properly. Look at your rear shackles. I bet they point significantly rearwards?!
Old 12-30-2000, 04:16 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Check it out!
I as well installed "B" body XHD springs in my "E" body. So now I know what you have goin on there. The "B" body springs came out of a "B" body that went to the great beyond. Being new, I could not see let'em go. Along with the other parts that were new.
folke is right, there 1 inch to long,and the problem. I bet they fit tight.
Right about that time , my Cuda started to sag. Hmmmmmm, let me see if they work. Well they do, but we both have that low rider look.
My car already had airshocks. A lil pump up and I'm level. Since you don't want airshocks, your left with 1 thing to do. New springs. See if you can trade or resell them.
Also you said shackles. The ANS. is NO, maybe, I think! Why you ask....well, the rear valance on my Cuda gets in the way. Its stock shackles or nothin. I suspect it could be the same for you.
Besides, gthomas is correct. It works but, if you go to far, and its easy, it will effect the handleing. You won't like it.
Old 12-30-2000, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like you've solved your problem, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in about the hood and front hangers. The front hangers can be flipped w/o extra drilling , you just have to swap sides I believe. You can probably get that hood from AAR reproductions in Florida. This guy made me a 'glass hood for my 68 cuda that was flat so I could putmy SS scoop on it and a bolt on too. He had to make a new mold to do this. Took a few months to get it but the price and quality made it well worth the wait.
Old 12-30-2000, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

The front hangers bolt pattern is like a trapezoid (sp.?) pattern. Even if swapping sides, you will need to slightly enlarge the bolt holes.
F.B.
Old 12-31-2000, 12:12 AM

No- you guys misunderstood me, my fault, i'm sorry. But it has E-body XHD springs and 71 B-body shocks.
Old 12-31-2000, 12:42 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Sorry Bryant Feilds, F.B. is correct about the hangers. And as far as repeating your 2cents worth, I don't see your name on this thread. If you wrote it elsewhere, good. But that dosn't mean everybody has had a chance to see and read it.
Also, somtimes, when the info is known to be wrong, it's ignored, somtimes it's corrected. To fix the wrong info is prefered only if you know for FACT. Typing hearsay or others like "i think, or I heard etc...without saying so can lead to a problem for someone who is trusting "US" for ans.'s.
Of course, doing without checking is bad as well.
To error is human. To dish out ("known") bad info is a sign of being insane or your a brand "X" lover trying to hurt us. Or a Freakin Icehole.
If you make a mistake....we'll try to fix it with fact. The idea of fliping the hangers was good. Just not do-able without modifying the hanger or car. To most, this is unacceptable.
I'm not trying to rip you here. So don't take it the wrong way. This is somthing thats a given here at the MoParchat.com, and its what we all strive for. Best info.
So to all, if you see the same topic come up agian & agian. Give direction. Don't get upset. Someone out there needs your help. Now who's soap box is this
Old 12-31-2000, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Well, sounds to me like your trying to rip me ! I got that info from an old Direct Connection Chassis Manual and from Mopar Action tech articles. ( no , I dont have an issue handy to give you the date etc. )
As for my name not being in the thread... I dont remember saying anything about "repeating" any info...But most of all...Dont EVER call me a "brand X lover" God, that hurt ! lol

------------------
My
Own
Private
Adrenaline
Rush
Old 12-31-2000, 01:42 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I stand corrected on that of witch I am wrong on! It was "giving your 2cents" & not what I thought. That you were saying I said that allready.
I am very sorry about that.
And I did not call you a chevy lover!
(like Jerry Seinfeild once said. " Not that theres anything wrong with that" )
I am aware of the mod. you have described. And it works well.

Old 12-31-2000, 05:28 AM
islcuda

Wink

hello 70 challenger, now you,ve got me worried. Here is some info I have. I just bought these springs from mopar the part # for one is p4452985 , it has six leafs on it. They are lying beside the car right now. I,m just waiting for complete bushing kit from summit. They sure look beefier than the stock ones on my car . I,ll let you no how mine turn out. Tim Walton

------------------
73bcuda
Old 12-31-2000, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Is there anyway to tell if Summit sent you 'B' body springs? Stranger things have happened. I know the guys here misunderstood you but maybe serendipitiously--they're right!
Old 01-01-2001, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Just to be sure, why don't you measure the front and rear section lengths for these springs? You say you've checked the part numbers, but what if MP mis-marked them? Post the lengths, we'll let you know if they're right.
Old 01-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

Challenger, Five years ago I installed a set of MP Super Stock springs on my 74 Cuda and it raised the back up about 3" when I used the upper mounting hole in the front spring mount. Then I installed a set of Shocks made for a 73 Chrysler Imperial which is 2" longer than the stock Cuda Shocks and has a 3" longer travel. It works great to this day.
My next project this spring is locate a 66-70 B-Body rear end for it.

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited January 01, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

hey R/T-S/E, if you look at a properly restored challenger, you will notice ti looks like a low-rider. its the way they were made. you have a couple of options, the best being super stock(not XHD)springs. air shocks and shackles are for losers, as they hurt both straightline and cornering capabilities. thats the best and correct info I can render. im at the same number as your wiring problem, thanks, CPD, lots of MOPARS