Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-30-2001, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

Default New 5.7 HEMI

This was taken from the Mopar Buzz Site:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b102601.htm

Check this out!!

I'm always proud when Car & Truck News breaks a major Mopar story before the competition. At the top of my list of favorite Buzz Watch scoops of the last few years was the news that Chrysler was developing an all-new HEMI engine. You'd be hard pressed to find a Mopar fan who doesn't have a special place in their heart for the legendary HEMI. Even in the darkest times, we always had the fact that Chrysler built the most powerful V8 engine of all time as a point of pride. The fact that the 426 HEMI design is still the basis of every top fuel dragster and funny car almost 40 years after it was introduced is a testament to the perfection of its design.

It hasn't been a surprise that Car & Truck News readers have sent in thousands of questions about the new 5.7 liter HEMI since we first broke the story back in 1999. Unfortunately there has been very little information out there about the new engine. In previous columns I've told you about its horsepower and torque numbers and its basic construction. Thanks to senior Buzz Patroller The Oracle I've learned a great deal more about this awesome new engine.

The all new Dodge Ram is truly a World class truck, as I said in my recent review, it sets a new standard that all future trucks will be judged against. The same can be said for the new HEMI. Utilizing a deep skirted cast iron block with aluminum heads (with hemispheric combustion chambers) the new engine puts out approximately 35% more horsepower then the current 5.9 liter V8.

With a whopping 330 horsepower and 360 pound feet of torque, the new engine is more powerful then any of the competitions five to six liter V8 engines. Its power curve is an improvement over the 5.9. Horsepower wise, the 5.9 plateaus at around 4000 rpm where it hits 245 hp then begins to drop off. The 5.7 hits 250 hp around 3500 rpm. The power keeps on coming as the revs toward 5500. At the same rpm were the 5.9 puts out max hp the 5.7 is putting out 300 hp.

Torque is really the true measure of an engine's power. When comparing the two engines torque curves the superiority of the 5.7 is clearly evident. The 5.9 puts out a maximum of 335 lb. ft of torque at 3200 rpm. The 5.7 on the other hand puts 325 lb. ft at 1500 rpm. It continues to go up from there eventually hitting its peak out put of 360 pound feet at 4000 rpm. Heck, at a mere 1000 rpm the 5.7 delivers more than 300 pound feet of torque! These numbers translate to an engine which has plenty of pulling power and great highway characteristics, in other words . . . it's the perfect truck engine.

Dodge engineers achieved this through a combination of tried and true engineering (ie the HEMI head) and cutting edge technology. The pushrod operated overhead valve engine features large intake and exhaust ports centered on the cylinder. The combination of these large ports and splayed valves create unprecedented airflow in and out of the hemispheric combustion chamber. The heads use two spark plugs per cylinder which are fired by a distributorless ignition system (ie direct ignition) featuring eight high power coils ensures complete combustion.

To get enough air into the engine Dodge has developed a throttle body that has almost 30 percent more flow area then the one on the 5.9. Seven inch runners in the intake manifold feed each cylinder. Both pieces are part of an integrated "air-fuel module" which combines 20 + separate functions into a compact and efficient assembly which includes the sequential, multi-port, returnless electronic ignition.

The deep skirted cast iron block holds a fully balanced, cast, nodular iron crankshaft turning in cross-bolted main bearing caps to minimize deflection and vibration. Lightweight aluminum pistons and powder metal connecting rods reduce reciprocating mass. The combination of a compact piston with a long rod reduces friction in the cylinder. The engine has a 9.6 to 1 compression ratio.

The Oracle adds that the new HEMI has gone through extensive durability testing and that its "a phenomenal engine." The 5.7 liter HEMI Magnum V8 (as Chrysler calls it) will make its debut in the late summer of 2002 when the first Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks will make their debut. Folks who want a HEMI in a Ram 1500 will have to wait until January of 2003.

Look for more info the HEMI and the Ram 2500/3500's in the coming weeks.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:22 PM

drooooollll...

Also I have heard that the new Hemi is slightly smaller in outside dimensions than the LA engines! Since it is the direct replacement for those, I think it's a fairly good chance that it could just bolt in where an existing LA engine was in the Rams and Dakota/Durangos... and if it bolts right into them, then it'll bolt into a Dart or 'Cuda or anything else with an LA... Hemi Dart anybody?
Old 10-30-2001, 09:19 PM
owner of The Thing

whoa... better scrap my engine plans and start saving for a new crate 5.7 hemi for my Coronet... they are gonna make a Crate version, right? please? pretty please? aw come on, think of how much fun it would be...

toast
Old 10-30-2001, 09:39 PM

Damn, got sticky pee on my leg. waynebo
Old 10-31-2001, 02:07 PM

Mopar d@*n well better make a crate engine out of this!!! Only problem is that it doesn't have a distributor, so you'd HAVE to use a computer control box. But, if they could get you the engine with controls, that'd be sweet... hopefully the cost would be decent. No more 9 thousand dollar Hemis. One of the big reasons for making this engine was that it was going to be fairly cheap, no overhead cams like the 4.7 and no big nasty rocker arm arrangements like the 392/426 Hemi heads.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Inactive User

What is the reasoning behind the 426+ crate
Hemi engines costing so much? Are the parts
that much most costly, or do they know they
can get the increased margin out of a Hemi?
Old 10-31-2001, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

i'm stepping up to a twin turbo hemi. 426 or 354.. that's yet to be decided. i would like the benefits of a smaller lighter engine.. but nothing beats a 426 for shear awwwww.. factor.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:56 PM

I think the 426-style Hemi is spendy for both of the reasons you mentioned, Scott. Anything that has the word "Hemi" attached to it is going to cost more... also the reason the first gen Hemis were discontinued is because the Wedges were so much simpler and cheaper to make. I wish someone would start making the equivalent of a generic brand, like buying a Gateway or Dell instead of an IBM. I did notice however that PAW just began selling crate 392's! And they are only about $6K as opposed to like 9 for a 426. PAW even sells crate 392's with blowers, and even they cost less than a NA 426 crate. Too bad the 392 weighs so darn much. Of course a set of aluminum heads would fix that.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Default 528 Hemi $$ vs. 426 Hemi $

I took the 426/465 Crate Hemi as a base cost, and added and subtracted the list costs of all the parts that were different on the 528 Hemi Crate. The difference was something around $1100.

The marketing/bean counter jokers at DC are making a bigger profit margin on the 528 Hemi than the 426 Hemi. The cost difference is around $2500 between the two engines.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:52 AM
Inactive User

It would be cool if they offered the computers like the electronic conversion kits!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin With Hope

All I can say is I hope they do come out with some kind of pony car to stuff it in Oh Boy!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

damn!!! and i just bought a new f150 4x4. opps!!!! sorry guys.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:43 PM

Heck, I'd be satisfied if they came out with a 318 or 360 ponycar... anything for less than $20K that had V8, RWD and a 5-speed and WASN'T A TRUCK. If Ma can make the Dak R/T for 15 large they should be able to make a car with the same powertrain for a similar price. The new Hemi'd be icing on the cake to me! Although if they put the new Hemi in the Dak I'd probably buy one. Nothing against trucks, its just that I want a car.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

Default I'm with you Goose!~

YEP! ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS DROP THE 318 OR THE 360 in a RWD CAR!!!
Imagine if the Road Runner concept came back. An inexpensive car, not weighted down with luxury crap, with a V8 at a reasonable price. Why can't Ma MoPar do that for us?????

WHO CARES ABOUT:
*dvd player so your kids won't squall on long trips
*50 CD changer in the trunk so you don't have to actually think about thing while you be-bop down the road
*how many different direction air bags can pop out at you to break your neck and kill your kids
*how many different ways your back seat will fold down
*how easily your can strap your skis or boogie board in the roof
*a little button to press to admit to someone that you failed to find your way to your destination are lost and need help
*a computerized map to show you where to go when you are lost that will distract you from driving and make you swerve into my lane and hit me head on!!

Just give me a RWD CAR with a V8 and pack all the rest of that crap in to a new super safe vehicle called the Soccer MoM 2002!!
It's top speed will be 30 MPH and it will have a 4" steel armor belt down the side to protect the the driver and passangers during public school shootings.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

This, i belive to be a good side effect of mercedes buying mopar. Unlike american and japanese cars. Germans like rear wheel drive.. Some of that is going to be coming over to dodge. I'm willing to bet on it.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:48 PM
owner of The Thing

You bet it is. Hot Rod magazine is reporting this month that the 2004 Concord/interpid/300 platform is going to be rear-wheel drive, with the 5.7 Hemi as an option. It's also gonna take it's front end design from Merc's E series, which i guess is a good thing from how they talk about it

but still... lets see... that gives me three years to scratch together a down payment for that new mopar 300 with the hemi...

i hope my '68 coronet doesn't get to jealous...

toast
Old 11-12-2001, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Default 5.7L HEMI sounds great but,...

Quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Toast
You bet it is. Hot Rod magazine is reporting this month that the 2004 Concord/interpid/300 platform is going to be rear-wheel drive, with the 5.7 Hemi as an option.
If the HEMI is going to go into a Concord, Intrepid, or 300, you can bet it'll be underpowered. DC isn't going to impress me until they build something that'll run with an LS1. Is this so much to ask for?

I saw on Dream Car Garage that MP is making parts so people can build 500+ c.i. HEMI Dakotas. That's a step in the right direction.

Old 11-12-2001, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Run with an LS1? Have you ever heard of the Viper?

"..2002 Corvette coupe and convertible. Specifications include an aluminum block designed for stiffness, low mass, special camshaft design for excellent engine breathing and a 10.1:1 compression ratio that helps enhance engine power. But the numbers tell the real story: engine displacement — 5.7 Liters, horsepower — 350 at 5200 rpm, torque — 360 lb.-ft. at 4000 rpm with the standard 4-speed automatic transmission and 375 lb.-ft. at 4400 rpm with the available 6-speed manual transmission."

"Viper holds its own against the best in the world and performs beyond expectations. It does all this thanks to an engine size most cars can only dream of - a lightweight 8.0-liter V10 engine that pounds out 450 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 490 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm."

No comparison.

The new 5.7 Hemi will make close to those lame LS1 numbe
Old 11-12-2001, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Looks like I need to re-post this:

"With a whopping 330 horsepower and 360 pound feet of torque, the new engine is more powerful then any of the competitions five to six liter V8 engines. Its power curve is an improvement over the 5.9. Horsepower wise, the 5.9 plateaus at around 4000 rpm where it hits 245 hp then begins to drop off. The 5.7 hits 250 hp around 3500 rpm. The power keeps on coming as the revs toward 5500. At the same rpm were the 5.9 puts out max hp the 5.7 is putting out 300 hp."

Damn close to that junker of an LS1...
Old 11-13-2001, 01:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Rear wheel drive Hemi....

For what it's worth....
Here in Australia we've had Chryslers again fir the past few years after
a fair absence. If they were to build and export a medium sized coupe
or sedan, rear whel drive, and V8 to Australia, they would no doubt sell
like hot cakes! We already have a few hot vehicles with this combo.,
puting out 300 plus hp in a low bugdet/no frills sedan package that a
very sought after.
Just a thought.....
Old 11-13-2001, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dart
Run with an LS1? Have you ever heard of the Viper?

The new 5.7 Hemi will make close to those lame LS1 numbers.
Yeah, a 13 second-ish ET is lame.

Hey, I think the Viper is awesome. It outperforms the LS1- hands down. What I meant by LS1 was the cheaper cars - Z28, WS-6, and SLP SS/Firehawk. One of these I can finance. I can't stop by a dealership and drive home in a Viper. The Viper isn't affordable (Neither is the Vette). However, GM produces LS1 F-bodies that fill the gap between their supercar -the ZO6 and say...a Chevy Impala. DC has a gap to fill.
I'm not crazy about putting the new HEMI into a LH body. I don't see a Concorde and think "sports car." Sports cars have a manual tranny, 2 doors, and run 13 second ETs. That's all I want.
I'm afraid that if the HEMI goes into a LH car, DC will detune the engine and make this new HEMI car more economical so they can sell it to a broader market. As it is, DC builds too many mediocre cars now. They need to come up with a sporty design to drop the HEMI into. What ever happened to the Dodge Venom concept? It was a cool design (except from the rear). Redesign the rear of the Venom, pull that crappy V6 out of it, and drop in the HEMI.
I do think the Stratus is kind of sport-like. DC wouldn't have to come up with a completely new car. The new HEMI in a RWD Stratus would definitely do the current R/T badging some justice.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Inactive User

I disagree with you. I think that the cars DC offers are way superior to the competition in all areas. On thing you have to remember is that they are in business to offer products that will sell and a "sports car" with a V-8, 4speed isn't the hot ticket right now. Most people (99%) like to have a more versatile car, i.e. a 4 door that serves a number of functions. That is basically why we keep hearing about GM and Ford killing the Camaro and the Mustang almost every year. I think with the Daimler purchase it will get them out of the front wheel drive market and back into the RWD set up. This will eventually lead to some nice pacakges, like the RWD 300N with the 5.7 Hemi etc.

The real deal is this: the market has changed and the Road Runners, 'Cudas, etc. of the past will not be made for the average Joe. I don't think the market is there for them to priduces a 2 dr, 4speed, whatever.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dart
I don't think the market is there for them to priduces a 2 dr, 4speed, whatever.
I bet the mark-up on the Viper is HUGE. Otherwise they wouldn't be producing them.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

with good ol german engineering, mercedes track record, american lust for power. good things are going to happen. I know some bad has happened.. so long and farewell plymouth.... but, we will have rwd V-8's soon. yes, something priced in the affordable range. Something to beat the mustangs bone stock, and with enough aftermarket potential that it will come on like a craze!! (ah-hem... pt cruiser) If they put a hemi in a 4 door. well, it's just something that I will be able to live with. if demand is high enough, they will make the 2 door. heck.. I don't care if it's got 6 doors and a hatch back. Put a hemi in it, and I will drive one. If pro-stock can have a hemi neon, why can't I?

When was the charger supposed to hit the dealers? 2003-2004. well, that idea got trashed. Now, the LH platform.. still, in 2003-2004. When you weigh the cost options. why build a whole new car, when you can work with an existing car, and still put the V8 in it. hence the change from the charger to the LH.

Im not going to go to the dealership and stand in the charger line, or the LH platform line. I'm going to go stand in the "Hemi RWD in 2004" line. It's coming.... Big tires and big smiles are on the way..
Old 11-14-2001, 02:41 PM

Dart is right, there just isn't a market for muscle any more. 35 years ago the musclecar market was red hot... sort of like the SUV craze today. Most of the huge market swings are due to fads and people wanting to be trendy. It's just not trendy today to be the owner of a cheap performance car, but it IS trendy to LOOK like you have a performance car, hence all the Hondas. Who knows what the future will bring however; if one of the auto manufacturers came out with a new cheap performance car that wasn't strangled by having a bad name with the insurance companies (ever try to insure a kid on a Camaro or Mustang?) maybe there'll be a surge in interest and some real performance will start hitting the streets again.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

Cool I disagree!!!!

Americans love affair with Muscle Cars has not died! But what happened is that the Government and the insurance companies made it impratical to own one. The EPA regulations having to do with strict emissions has killed traditional big inch V8s in cars. Even the 5.0 302 Ford couldn't meet the new emissions standards for OBDII. Ford had to give it up in the cars. A 302 is a TINY short stroke (weak) V8 and it couldn't live. And the insurance gouging you if you happen to drive a sports car. Is that fair? NO, but the Total Cost of Ownership for a sports (or just sporty) car is too high for the adverage person now. The reason the SUV craze is high now is because of V8 power! You can get a big V8 in a truck or SUV and not get nailed by the EPA or the insurance companys. That is what has changed, not the people's desire to own a muscle car.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

I don't know if emissions has a lot to do with this anymore. SLP Engineering started building Firehawks with the idea that these cars would pass EPA regulations.
At this point I just wish DC would build a fast Ram or Dakota. They wouldn't have to dump a whole lot of cash into R&D. They already know that a 360 will fit in either truck. Too bad the Dakota R/T wasn't as fast as it could have been. You'd think DC would know how to tweek/tune a 360 by now.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Where are you guys getting your prices for mopar crate motors
I looked up a crate moter the other day and that 528 only cost
7,595 I thought it was a typo so I looked up the 426/465 and it only cost around 4900 ditto on the 471/525 it came in ataround 5500 my brother wants to get one and stick it in a 63 belvedere
4 door he just traded for he's got a bowtie boob with 6000 in a
small block that needs to taste the agony of defeat big time
Old 11-14-2001, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

where are you getting your prices from. ebay doesn't count unless it's the last 10 seconds of the auction..
Old 11-15-2001, 03:13 PM

I agree 100% with you, Dr. Righteous! You said what I didn't take the time to in my post... the Musclecar era died because of high insurance, gas costs, and emissions regs. There really isn't any way for a real performance car to get around all that nowadays. SUV's get around the emissions because they are trucks, and the insurance isn't high yet, and gas is cheap. Any car is going to be subject to tighter emissions than the trucks, and anything with 300HP or more is sure as hell going to light up the insurance companies! Maybe they'll have to vastly underrate the new Hemis, just like they did with the 426's... maybe they'll advertise it as 200 hp or something.