Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-02-2001, 04:07 AM

Question

i am going to install a 360 in front of the original 904.I am told I need a balanced flexplate to do this. can I just buy one or do I have to add weights to the one i have? how do i determine how much weight I need?Is it easy to install?
Old 01-02-2001, 06:09 AM

Cool

I don't know and anyone that has ever added weight to a flexplate they already have. Basically your options are as follows;

1. Add Mallory metal to the crank if your engine is apart.

2. Purchase a B&M flexplate for you particular setup. The external weights will be on the flexplate already.

3. Purchase MP p/n P4120241 which is a package that contains the necessary weights and a template to position them correctly on your converter.

I hope this helps.

Just for your info I'm running they type of setup your putting together. I went the Mallory metal route which was the most expensive route to go. I thought it would be easier to swap converters that didn't have to be balanced plus I don't believe B&M offered a SFI approved flexplate with weights on it at the time.
Old 01-02-2001, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

the B&M flexplate doesn't have weights on it. it is a circle that has a section cut out of it that balances the engine. the weights you refer to go on the torque converter not the flexplate. the B&M flexplate eliminates the need for weights and is SFI approved, plus you can use any converter you want just be sure that it doesn't have weights if you use the B&M.
Old 01-03-2001, 04:37 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Correct me if i'm wrong but all Torque Converters are PERFECTLY BALANCED! I know this because once i was taking parts off another engine and i just took the flexplate off and swaped it, well the one i took off was balanced and the other wasn't so when i started the car i had a serious engine vibration! You need to know if you have a internal or external balanced engine. You tell this by the crank or the flexplate!
Old 01-03-2001, 04:59 AM
Inactive User

All autos use the same plate, there is no internal or external flexplate from the factory. The weights are on the convertor from the factory. The only extenally balanced flexplate I know of comes from B&M, this is your best bet if internally balancing the motor is not an option.

Monte Smith

------------------
SURGEON GENERALS WARNINGrag Racing is highly addictive, and may impair your ability to make rational decisions.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:49 AM

Monte when internally balancing a 360 mp do you do away with the externally balanced dampner and torque converter weights or do they leave them and go to the crank counter balances and add mallory metal or can it be done both ways.thanks Waynebo
Old 01-03-2001, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

If you internally balance the engine with mallory metal, you dont need the weighted dampener, torque converter or flex plate anymore. You can use standard 318 or 340 internally balanced stuff and not have to worry about it.