Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-28-2000, 09:16 AM

I know this is not a performance related topic, but i need to ask this. Does anyone know where i can get a 67-70 challenger, preferrably from a junkyard, for real cheap. Want to do full resto. I posted this under vehicles wanted, but I thought i would put it here too, because this is where most people come. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

powerwagon

MOPAR FOREVER
Old 12-28-2000, 09:54 AM
Inactive User

Hey power....do you mean charger? In California when you purchase from a junkyard you get a "salvage title"....and it permanently goes with the title(not a problem if you dont care). If you do pick up a car that is a basket case, keep in mind that you will have far more time and money into this than if you were to pick up a clean runner (however restoring a car is alot of fun) My advice is to hook up with a car club or some street racers as they have a handle on alot of cars floatin' out there.
F.B.
Old 12-28-2000, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

What kind of car are you looking for???? There are no 67-69 Challengers!LOL..Do you mean Charger maybe?
Old 12-28-2000, 09:39 PM

I'm sorry-I typed in the wrong years, I meant an early 70's challenger-actually, I wouldn't mind finding a road runner or cuda between the years of 67-70 either, and a charger would be fine as well. I would just like to own a piece of musclecar history-you all know what that is like. It doesn't necessarily have to be from a junkyard, but I am in college right now, so what I wanted to do was find a car that is in pretty bad shape, buy it and store it until I am through with college. Then i can start restoration-I'm just afraid that by then all the good ones will be taken . Thanx for your help.

powerwagon

MOPAR FOREVER
Old 12-29-2000, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

i didn't see your original question but i have a 68 Baracuda fastback w/67 fastback parts car for sale. the 68 has a running 318 but has been sitting for many years and doesn't drive. the 67 is just a body. i am asking $800 for both cars. the 68 has a clean title. if you are interested call me at 662-728-1689 ask for James or e-mail me at jamtam2001@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2000, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

You have the 20k it's gonna cost you , after all is said and done, to do this resto?

Basket cases need all major systems replaced, like brakes, tranny, suspension, cooling,steering,etc.

without labor, this can cost 10 grand alone.

don't plan on driving it too often..
Old 12-31-2000, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

Powerwagon, sounds like your not too choosy about the model...why don't you go for a Dart in those years? They're still relatively cheap and you can still find some real cherries. If you can pick one up with a 340 or better, you can really make it scream (light weight). There are a few guys on this site that make them into scca road racers too, ever heard of Mopar Actions green brick?
Just a suggestion, but start out with a clean, well optioned runner. Parts are too Damn expensive to have to be replacing stuff!
Good luck
Old 12-31-2000, 05:13 AM

I understand all that-but you guys need to realize that most of the fun factor (in my opinion) comes from the restoration. I may be wrong, but that is what most of you have done, correct?? I think I am going to buy Cuda mentioned below, so that may be my project. thanx for the input.

powerwagon

MOPAR FOREVER
Old 01-01-2001, 05:25 AM
Inactive User

That's the spirit! You've got the right stuff, kid. When my sister, who used to sell cars and now works for Auto Trader Magazine, first saw my Challenger, she had two words for me - "junk it!" She knew it would never be worth what it's costing me to fix it. But most of us aren't doing this for resale value. We're doing it because we love it. I have a $20,000 budget and a five year timetable. When I'm done, I'll have a car that's EXACTLY what I want, and will have cost the same as what I would have paid if I'd bought a brand new car that excites me as much as this old Challenger does. Correction - the only new car that excites me as much as this one costs at least 4 times that! Well, not counting the thousands of hours I'll have spent by then. But it's my hobby, and the hours I spend are relaxation, entertainment, FUN! Well, yeah, some cursing too. But worth every penny. And by the way, I drive it every chance I get. When the five years are up, and I've put 100,000 miles on it, it'll be time to do it all over again. That's alright with me, I'll do it gladly.
Old 01-03-2001, 07:47 PM

Cool

A friend brought something to my attention. I also would like to know if anyone knows where there is a 1970 or newer Dodge Dart, as they are pretty good looking cars, and they are a lot easier to find parts for.

Thanx

powerwagon

MOPAR FOREVER
Old 01-03-2001, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Powerwagon,

If you're going to go that route, I would suggest looking for 73-76 dart since they have front disk brakes with the single caliper setup and 4.5" bolt circle diameter. That would might save you some headaches later.

Keith