Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-04-2001, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

I'm about to purchase a roller cam from Hughes for my 300hp, 360 crate motor. It will be going in a 67 barracuda with 3:23's, a 904 with a 2400 rpm stall, and A/C. The two cams I'm trying to decide upon are a 208/214 @ .050 duration, 512/520 lift and a 114 lobe center or their 214/218 @ .050, 520/544 lift and a 114 lobe center. Has anyone used either of these cams? Do they still have lots of low end torque and is the idle slightly lumpy?
Old 01-04-2001, 04:50 PM

Hey FF,

I've got the same motor in my 68 Barracuda and was contemplating the same cam swap. I don't have any answers for your questions, though. Have you talked with Hughes about PV clearance? I was wanting to get the bigger of the two you are looking at. Since the camshafts are designed to work in the truck motors (with computers) they probably don't have a wicked idle. I wouldn't expect much more lump than the stock camshaft. I'm just guessing though, so I could be completely wrong.

Don't forget to get the extension for the snout.

I'm very interested in your results, please post!

------------------
68 Cuda, twisties style
http://members.nbci.com/magnumcuda/sprfish.htm
96 Club Cab 4x4, Cummins 5spd
Old 01-04-2001, 05:11 PM
Inactive User

KC, thanks for the note. I have talked with Hughes. They can grind the cam on any lobe center I wish. A 110 lobe center would problably have a lumpier idle but I was hoping to hear from someone who has bought one. Hughes recommends changing springs and retainers with the stouter of the two grinds. With 544 lift I'd probably also use their roller rockers. Hopefully we'll hear from someone who actually has one of those cams. Keep your fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally posted by kchristopher:
Hey FF,

I've got the same motor in my 68 Barracuda and was contemplating the same cam swap. I don't have any answers for your questions, though. Have you talked with Hughes about PV clearance? I was wanting to get the bigger of the two you are looking at. Since the camshafts are designed to work in the truck motors (with computers) they probably don't have a wicked idle. I wouldn't expect much more lump than the stock camshaft. I'm just guessing though, so I could be completely wrong.

Don't forget to get the extension for the snout.

I'm very interested in your results, please post!
Old 01-04-2001, 08:34 PM

I just talked with Dave Hughes as well. He told me the same as you. One nice thing I wasn't expecting, he will take our camshafts back as cores. I wasn't sure if he would or not seeing as how they won't fit the truck engines.

He said they have never had a problem with PV clearance either.

Headers first, but then I'm going to buy this camshaft. Might be real late in the year though.

------------------
68 Cuda, twisties style
http://members.nbci.com/magnumcuda/sprfish.htm
96 Club Cab 4x4, Cummins 5spd