Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-02-2001, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

Question O.K. C.M.D., this isn't a big problem, but it will have to do

I am putting a new coil on my slant six, in my 1970 Plymouth Duster. It is one of those huge Accel ones, so it won't wit into the stock holding bracket. I am going to mount it on the fender, but the wire they gave me for the negative connection won't reach where the old wire was going. So my questions is: Is it just a ground? and can I just screw a bolt into my fender and ground it out there? Or should I go buy some longer wire and make it stretch to the old spot??

Thanks,

Jake
1970 Plymouth Duster /6
Old 11-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

if you have electronic ignition, it is EXTREMELY Important that you have the wires connected where they are now. If it were me, i'd just get the solder iron out and lengthen the wire.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

Default Whoa there.

Hows things slant six if you do not have electronic ign then heres your answer no. the positive to your coil comes via the ballast resistor and the negative side of the coil goes to your dizzy to the points and then from the dizzy to earth.therefore from the dizzys point of view the coil is more positive on that terminal so grounding it out definatly wont work and by the way it dont work on electronic either cause either points or transistor both switch the ground side of the coil.The important word here is switch not short. I wont crap on about transformer theory unless you want to know so there you go.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Oh yeah

Sorry there I forgot to say that I had one of those big yella suckers on my car and they put out heaps more secondary voltage which is good.Problem with coils is that they are really transformers and what you put in is what you get out therefore your primary current goes up as your secondary voltage goes up which is bad for electronic ignitions.I cooked mine and goo ran down my inner fender YUK hope you got points and dont mind changing them more frequently.Diferent electronic boxes may tollerate more current but I dont know. and I was'nt going to crap on about transformers.Anyway if you have electronic use the correct coil as they have a higher secondary output voltage than the points setup anyway and if I'm not mistaken better dwell and yes no points to change.Anywayone set up or the other but dont put the big coil with stock electronic box or get gooed.