Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2001, 03:31 AM

I need to ask you guys some important questions. I am getting ready to buy a Mopar car, and my choices are down to a Dart or Challenger. I really would like the Challenger, because I like the looks. The Challeneger I am going to consider buying is an auto, however, and I would like a stick. How hard is it to convert an auto to a stick? Did they make a Challenger with a stick in '74 (that is the year)?? What are the advantages of a Dart over a Challenger, besides the fact that the Dart is a lot easier to get parts for?? Sorry this is so long-I don't want to jump into this one too fast, but I am anxious to join the ranks of a Dodge Muscle Car owner (my poweragon is hardly a musclecar ) Thanx.

powerwagon

MOPAR FOREVER
Old 01-05-2001, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

No doubt about it from my point of view...It's the Dart all the way!!! Of course, I am biased due to being an A body owner since the late 70s, but there are actually some logical reasons for it as well.

If you are on a budget the Dart makes sense. Thet are much less costly to purchase, do not have the "E-body" premium that many parts makers seem to attach to parts & are still plentiful in wrecking yards. (Especially the '73 & up models) If you want to go fast cheap, the lighter weight & superior weight transfer means you can acheive great straight line (1/4 mile) results for less $$$$ with the Dart/Duster/Demon. (Although the 'cuda challenger platform outperforms them big time in the cornering department.)

Of course with a dart, you are limited to small block power unless you are extremely wealthy & like to deal with the huge headaches involved with swapping in a big-block. (Done it once-never again...thank God it wasn't my car) That being said, you can get enough power from your typical 340/360 to scare yerself real bad in one of these cars.

The bottom line is, whatever you choose, you are going to invest a lot of time & money into it - so be sure that you are happy with your choice. This hobby is about having fun and enjoying your car - having other people think your ride is cool is great, but the important thing is making sure that you like your car.

------------------
1973 Dart 340 Sport