Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-05-2001, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Kyle...PLEASE stop whining!

I watched the Rockingham race and made sure to watch the replay of the first lap before making this thread come to life.
1. I don't knock Kyle because of all the bad luck he and Petty Enterprises has had this season.
2. If your car slides up the track in a turn and there is a car directly behind you before you start to slide, where in ANY rulebook does it say that the car following has to slam on the brakes when you come down the track?
3. In this situation Kyle (or his spotter) has his head up his a$$.
4. "Hung the moon" what the hell was all that BS about?
5. Kyle must be feeling a little left out due to the fact he doesn't win any more?
6. Yeah Junior could have jumped on the brakes and helped Kyle out, but it is NOT madatory! His car didn't run up the track and take Kyle out.
7. I'll give credit to Sprint for hanging in there.
I am a Mopar fan and always will be, but if Dodge wants more respect they need a couple of better drivers. I'm glad there are only 3 races left, don't know how much more Petty can afford to shell out for new sheet metal every week.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:01 AM
Inactive User

I gotta agree that wasn't Jr's fault and I got no clue wtf he was talking about.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

I agree with this post 100%. who was Kyle kidding anyway its not like he had a chance to win. The way he's been running this year he's lucky to qualify and lucky to have a sponsor.

I am SICK of the articles about the good old days, lets start dealing with NOW. Case in point on thatsracin.com last week they had an article with Kyle running his mouth about how the Petty's USED to be dominant at Rockingham. Yes this is true but thats ancient history. Oh and yes Vince Lombardi used to be dominant when he coached the Packers.

This is all well and good but Kyle has made a good living of his family name for many years.

Dodge should give him the boot. John Andretti and The King are making a decent showing but Kyle needs to go and get a more talented driver, with more desire.

I dont want to hear about all the sob stories about his hard luck, as another poster said on a different post Dale Jr. has dealt with a very tragic blow to his family and he still runs well and in fact has run well in fact he has won some races.

I know DOdge is a new program but Kyle by far is the WORST dodge out there, and dodge or sprint can for sure do better for there money with another team.

All the other teams are running Dodge for the first time this season and they are all doing better than Kyle.

I belief that Kyle's team could be running any brand Ford, Chevy, Pontiac and his team would not be doing ANY better.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

I think what Kyle was referring to was the so-called "star" rule when making calls in sports. Any umpire or referee will tell you that stars are aways given more leeway than the rest of the players.

I think I'm pretty objective, since I like both Kyle and Jr. It was not an accident where you can place the blame entirely on one person and swear you are being honest. Yes, Kyle started to come down too soon, but Jr could have easily avoided hitting him. Jr. knows that when you hit someone in the area he hit Kyle that Kyle was the only one who would wreck. Dale Sr. had that move perfected and won most of his races in the early years by wrecking his competition. Jr. also knows that the fans would forgive him because he is a rising star and still the sentimental favorite. Kyle is just a loser in the eyes of most recent converts to Winston Cup racing, so any incident would be his fault, even if it was 50-50, or even the star's fault. The fans would be upset because an also-ran damaged the guy they love. Jr. couldn't lose, so he didn't make an effort to stop from wrecking Kyle.

I think there is entirely too much emphasis on who wins how many races. Perhaps there is too much hero worship among the younger fans. Kyle Petty has more class, works harder and is more honest than 99% of the people in racing. If he is able to sign a sponsor for him to drive, that should be all that's required. If he makes the field...great, if not...tough. That's racing. No individual or team should be told to get out of doing what they want to do in life. We can cheer for them, or not, but it's their business, and none of ours. We can choose to watch the race, or cut the grass.

Kyle expressed a season of frustration in one interview, and he did it with humor. I've heard far more vitriolic whining from Rusty, Kevin, Ricky, Tony, Dale J, Dale E and Dale Jr., but they are given a pass because they are competitive. Even Mikey gets a pass because of his car owner.

In my opinion, there is far more wrong with Winston Cup racing than Kyle Petty.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:11 AM
Inactive User

Well stated, Gary.........
Old 11-07-2001, 11:46 AM
Inactive User

Question HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Gary,
If you have read any of my other posts you will realize that I am one of the first to condemn Nascar (the ruling body) first. People like Mike Helton are the typical "fat cats" who only carry out the wishes of the ruling France family. The series needs much change and I don't think any one person has the answers.
Let's make sure NOT to confuse a drivers humanitarian efforts with their driving abilty! There are many drivers who lend much of their time and efforts to charities and other causes.
I have always been a Petty fan and will always be.
Here is a quote from my original message:
"2. If your car slides up the track in a turn and there is a car directly behind you before you start to slide, where in ANY rulebook does it say that the car following has to slam on the brakes when you come down the track?
6. Yeah Junior could have jumped on the brakes and helped Kyle out, but it is NOT madatory! His car didn't run up the track and take Kyle out".

Let's take a better look at the "Earnhardt family trait" of bump and run. It must be a very large family with many stepsons.
Rusty and Ricky
Gordon and Stewart
Pressley and everyone
Skinner and everyone
All of the Bodines and everyone
and so on...........
and so on...........
hmmmmm...I seem to remember a guy named Hornaday knocking out a kid named Earnhardt at the same track (Rockingham) on the first lap of a race earlier this same year. I don't want to debate this wreck, it doesn't matter, it happened.
STAR RULE? Yes it exists but little E didn't need Nascars help to explain wrecking Kyle. Perhaps Kyle thought the "star rule" also applied to him and Junior shuold have slammed on the brakes and let him in, after all this is a "gentlemens" sport right?
I am really interested in the new crop of drivers and the attitude they bring the sport. Yes they have sharp corners but give them some time to mature. Harvick started getting slammed the moment he sat in big E's car.
I never said that Kyle is what's wrong with Nascar, there's much that's wrong.

Oh and by the way, I've heard nearly every driver whine at one time or another not just a select group of "competitive" ones, even the ones that are favorites of mine.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

I guess I just can't bring myself to criticize the Pettys. I've followed them since Lee was driving and Kyle was a little kid. I've had the opportunity to spend a short but memorable time visiting with Richard, and they almost feel like family. Heck, I don't criticize my family when sometimes it would be the right thing to do.

In my heart I wish that Kyle would retire to managing the operation, and I think this would have been his last year if
Adam had lived. I believe there is a lot of emotional baggage still driving his decisions, and I'm not going to get on any bandwagon to make him feel worse than he does already.

I've been a Mopar fan since before dirt was discovered, but Dodge winning isn't that big a deal for me. Yes, I prefer they do, but after 15 years without them even being in the race, I'm just satisfied to watch them run with the others. Besides, if all the Mopar drivers start winning, the rules will change to re-level the playing field. Give me a good race, and I'll cheer for my Mopars, win or lose, and I won't get upset either way.

I still say Jr. would have been wiser to back off, no matter who created the situation. There may come a time when he will hope to receive the same courtesy from some of the backmarkers when he makes a mistake.