Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2001, 05:18 AM

Question

My car almost stalls out at around 2000 rpm's and below at any speed if you tap the gas(ex. like pulling up to a light or parking space). The carb is a 69 carter avs. I made the idle mixture a little richer and moved the plunger rod to the farthest away hole and it helped , but it still bogs nicely as before but not as much. I have a manual choke (like on dirtbikes with the little knob)and i closed the choke about halfway and it didn't bog anymore. That means it was too lean . Right? The secondaries work great, it just bogs down low. So i was thinking would richer primary jets help?
Thanks for taking the time to read all this crapola for me.
Old 01-05-2001, 09:00 AM
Inactive User

Propably not, your problem is accelerator pump, step up piston or secondary air door too loose related.
Old 01-05-2001, 09:38 AM
jammiejeanne

It could be your vacuum advance, if you are using it. A vacuum advance that does not hold vacuum will cause a slight stumble on light throttle increases, like at stop signs or at the beginning of hills. It will cause a near stall if the throttle is hit harder.
Old 01-05-2001, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

You could have all the problems that are listed by these ather people. Does the car idle fine? If it does then I would rule out a vaccuum leak. Do you have to run with the choke partially on all the time? Does the car backfire through the carb when you step on the gas? A lean condition will cause a backfire. It does sound like you have a lean condition. Did you do something to the carb to cause this, or did this problem just start? Check the carb power inrichment circuts for proper operation, good acc pump squirt. I don't think your main jets are your problem.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

First and most important, check the float level! You may even want to set it a bit higher than spec. The AVS/AFB have very small fuel bowls, and if the fuel level is too low (could also be caused by low fuel pressure) the car will alaways act like it is running lean. I know, I had that problem on my AFB. I tryed larger accelerator shooters which helped a small amount, and I re-jetted too, but the car still din't run right. Once I raised the float level the, I had to un-do my other changes because the car ran rich. Now the engine ran great!
Old 01-05-2001, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Your stumbling/lean condition can be attributed to any of the following:
1)your accelerator pump shot is weak,
2)you may have a clogg in the ventiri(s),
3)you may have clogged idle air bleeds/emulsion tubes.
The best fix is to rebuild the carb/clean
all parts and be sure to use the correct carb
base gasket. If you have any questions/need
any help, let me know, thanks, DAVID.
Old 01-06-2001, 07:27 AM

Dude, put the accelerator pump rod in the closest hole to the piston. You get way more shot than with the farthest hole! blip the carb on a dead motor and look at your pump shot. it should be almost instant, if not, your piston seal has probably gone south. Get another piston and dont get another leather one!
Old 01-07-2001, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

My 70 Challenger RT SE with 383 does the same thing, bogging and sometimes backfiring thru carb. I have an AVS carb from a 70 440 engine. I was going to replace it with a new Edelbrock carb for $229, but I will try checking the float level, etc first. Hey 70Chall, let me know if you get it fixed soon (mine is in cold storage).
Old 01-07-2001, 07:26 AM

Thanks guys. I rebuilt the carb completely with all the parts before i put it on the car. Anyway, the other night i put the next richer rods that i have in it and that fixed the problem completely, but when i tried to go home after work the damn thing would idle for about a minute and die. Once i got it going i couldnt even give it 1/4 throttle or it would bog and giving it more didnt do anything, it made it bog worse and almost die. Then it worked okay and i was on my way home and it died when i was trying to start going after the light turned green and wouldnt start for about 5 minutes. Right in the middle of the intersection.Once i got to a parking lot , i put it some richer rods and it worked better but still couldnt give it more than half throttle and it started bucking at slow takeoff which is the only way it would take off. All I have to say is, I miss my Holley, it worked so well but 3-4 mpg doesnt make it for me.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:31 AM

Thanks guys. I rebuilt the carb completely with all the parts before i put it on the car. Anyway, the other night i put the next richer rods that i have in it and that fixed the problem completely, but when i tried to go home after work the damn thing would idle for about a minute and die. Once i got it going i couldnt even give it 1/4 throttle or it would bog and giving it more didnt do anything, it made it bog worse and almost die. Then it worked okay and i was on my way home and it died when i was trying to start going after the light turned green and wouldnt start for about 5 minutes. Right in the middle of the intersection.Once i got to a parking lot , i put it some richer rods and it worked better but still couldnt give it more than half throttle and it started bucking at slow takeoff which is the only way it would take off. All I have to say is, I miss my Holley, it worked so well but 3-4 mpg doesnt make it for me.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:39 AM

I forgot some details, the vacuum advance isnt hooked up, the plunger isnt a leather one, the float level is a bit higher than normal, the secodary air door is perfect, it backfired through the carb once while i was trying to start it. After i thought i fixed it , i did not touch it, it just worked great on the way to work, ran like crap when i attempted to go home. No passages are clogged, when i rebuilt it i sprayed every hole with carb cleaner for about five second and let it dry completely.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:41 AM

I forgot some details, the vacuum advance isnt hooked up, the plunger isnt a leather one, the float level is a bit higher than normal, the secodary air door is perfect, it backfired through the carb once while i was trying to start it. After i thought i fixed it , i did not touch it, it just worked great on the way to work, ran like crap when i attempted to go home. No passages are clogged, when i rebuilt it i sprayed every hole with carb cleaner for about five second and let it dry completely.