Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-06-2001, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Default 440 with a Procharger. Anyone got one???

I have read numerous past threads from people asking for info on superchargers for 440's. I didn't see any replies from anyone that actually has one or has installed one. ATI Procharger referred me to SD Concepts. They are sending info for a 440 install. Supposedly a complete bolt in. Does anyone have any experieance with this company? or with superchargers on a 440? I am curious to see real world results, horsepower, ET's, and installation info. Any help would be appreciated. I attached a "before" picture.

Also, boost levels would be helpful.

thanks. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-009s.jpg (76.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-06-2001, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

I don't know anything about what you are asking.. I just have a lowly 360 with twin turbos.. But.. I'm in the shopping area for a big block E-body. so.. I'm really curious of the results, and I'm sure others will too. so please.. keep us all posted
Old 11-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

I will keep everyone posted if I'm successful. I've seen some of your replies with your signature...twin turbo 360 sounds pretty cool. Especially in an old Mopar. I'd love to see pictures. onebad440@aol.com if you get a chance. thanks.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

the last line of my signature, is my webpage. Just head on over there and there is a little bit of info.. but yet, I still need to update it more
Old 11-07-2001, 11:31 AM
Inactive User

I have been running a blown big block for about 5 years. It is a 440 bored and with the 4.15" stroker crank. It has the Enderlie bird catcher fuel injection set up. This is in my '86 Daytona. It is street legal car weighting 3150 lb.s with me aboard. It runs 9.40's @ 149 MPH (at 1500' alt.) If you would like any info on my set up let me know.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

AJ...I'd be very interested in hearing about your set up as well as experience with the stroked 440. I have been trying to figure out which motor I should bore and stroke for my application. I have the 440 in the car and a 400 on a stand. I have read tons of threads on the bore/stroke combos but no one has really given real facts on the pro's and con's. What cubic inch is yours at now? What supercharger are you running and at what boost? Intercooled? And I'm not familar with the FI set up you mentioned. I'd like the whole run-down if you dont mine. Feel free to email me directly at the email listed earlier.

My 440 is mild and in a 4000 pound 71 Charger. It runs high 8.20's in the 1/8 and has a best 60' time of 1.73. So its not too bad but I'm craving some boost. thanks.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:18 PM
Inactive User

I've got questions for a couple of you guys. I've been craving boost myself.

1) How can the '86 blown 440 be street legal? Did you pass smog? How could you possibly pass a visual emission inspection? I only ask because I live in Chicago and don't want to spend $5000-$10,000 on a blower motor and then can't get license plates. I run nitrous on both my cars, but I can take that off easily for emission inspection.

2) From a Ford site I go to (nitrous '96 Mustang GT) the prochargers aren't too popular there compared to Vortech & some of the "non-gear-driven" superchargers. At least for those cars reliability has been a problem and boost is only in the 6-8 psi range instead of the 8-10 of the competition. However, they do tend to be quiter, easier to install & cheaper from what I've heard.

3) What about the 'ol GMC 6-71's? Those used to be the hot ticket for 440's.

ANY INFORMATION ABOUT BLOWERS, TURBOS & SUPERCHARGERS FOR 440'S WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I've run nitrous for a while and have been racing my Mustang, but it's a real slug...... My Roadrunner has been sitting for several years (WAS totalled bad), but I'm getting pretty close to getting it back on the road, probably by next summer. I want to drag race it again (boosted).

Thanks
Old 11-07-2001, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

Most of the superchargers for today are 49 or 50 State legal and come with the decal. I am going with ATI due to their responsiveness on the phone to help and the other superchargers tend to be belt driven internally. I'd prefer the gear driven kind. Also, ATI offers a self contained unit with no oil line plumbing required. That was important to me also. And other things like the billet impeller. Vortec goes on and on about the carbureted version but go ask them if they make a kit for the 440. ATI promptly refered me to an authorized dealer of theirs that converts a BB Chevy kit to fit the 440. (SD-Concepts). ATI also warranties boost levels over 8 pounds.

Nitrous has too many side effect for my taste. And I'd like to see a 5 year total cost analysis for refilling the bottles and possibly nuked motor. And remember, there are not valves or switches with a supercharger. Always on. hope that helps you.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

ScottPuddintane- Where I live in Minnesota I don't need to pass emission inspections. My car is street legal except for slicks and too loud. I had it licensed a few years ago and drove it on the street some--but not anymore, it would be looking for trouble.