Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2001, 02:08 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Okay guys, I have a question.. I have seen this listed both ways that the body type of a Coupe is the "Hard Top" (no post) and also that the Coupe is a Sedan (with the post).. "B" Body... Who knows the real answer? I have always in my many years have known a Coupe to be a "Hard Top" No post..

------------------
Road Runner, Run's like the wind..FAST!!
http://www.hotrodder.com/nick
Old 01-06-2001, 04:43 AM
Inactive User

1969RR I was a salesman for our local Chrysler dealer back in the late 60's. The cars as far as Chrysler was concerned went this way. the post cars were sedans and the non post 2 drs. were classified hard tops.
Quote:
Originally posted by 1969RR:
Okay guys, I have a question.. I have seen this listed both ways that the body type of a Coupe is the "Hard Top" (no post) and also that the Coupe is a Sedan (with the post).. "B" Body... Who knows the real answer? I have always in my many years have known a Coupe to be a "Hard Top" No post..

Old 01-06-2001, 05:51 AM
Inactive User

What is ment by "post"?
Billy
Old 01-07-2001, 06:56 AM
Inactive User

Cool

The post is the vertical pillar from just behind the door to the roof. No post = hardtop, with post = sedan (2 or 4 door) Some 4 doors were hardtops, with no post at all, like my 70 Chrysler 300.
Old 01-08-2001, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Up here in newfoundland we consider a coupe ...a post car , a no post car to be a hard top. in some mags i've it used both ways.
regards ....garry
Old 01-08-2001, 03:00 AM
Inactive User

The terms "coupe" and "sedan" have origins from the early days of the automobile. A sedan was an automobile with both a front and a back seat and came in 2 or 4 doors. A coupe was a specialize type of 2 door sedan where the roof line was more abbreviated in order to obtain a larger trunk space. A coupe with a retractible roof became known as a convertible coupe. Posts or pillars are found on all autos. The "A" pillar is the main post found in front and supports the windshield. The "B" pillar is found behind the front door and the "C" pillar is found at the rear of the car and supports the rear window. If you have a station wagon, there would also be a "D" pillar at the end. In the early '50's, design engineers removed the "B" pillar from the coupe (in some cases) and these became known as pillarless coupes or soon thereafter as hardtops. Interestingly enough, the convertible coupe or convertible as we call it today was also in its early days referred to as a hardtop convertible. By the time of the musclecar era, there was no difference between a 2 door sedan and a coupe. The presence of the post on a 2 door car made it a coupe, while the absence of the post made it a hardtop.