Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-09-1999, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Well guy's here is a question for debate around my family? I am thinking of getting back into racing soon and with a young family now i will be starting on a budget again. I have my old race car body whitch is a 1979 R/S capri. I used to run pro street with it when i lived in colorado. I had a small stint with ford for a while till i moved back home and got back around my father. I have aquired many of my mopar parts again. I am thinking of running a 440/727 with a dana 60 in this body. Dad is a thru and true mopar man since he was a line tech. for chrysler for 36 years before he got his own buisness. He is trying to get me to go all mopar, but right now the cost of setting up another full framed chassis is to much . He says that I will be shuned at some of the newer tracks for running this set-up and will have a hard time with all the sanctioning rules. Give me your input on this as i have been out of sanctioned racing for a while. You guys seem to be pretty well up on your drag racing info. Thanks

CUDADUDE!!
Old 10-09-1999, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I don't really know where you'd be shunned at.If this is a full tube frame chassis,why not do it?? The body is just a skin at this point anyway.If you wan't to race in the classes that IHRA/NHRA has I can't see any rules that would prevent you from this either.You can run brackets of course and can run Super Street(10.90) or Super Gas(9.90) and still be legal.In fact I'm sure you can run comp.eliminator and be legal,but that class is a lot of money- all drag racing is!! But you might not be welcome at a all Mopar car show even if Mopar powered.Can't say for sure on that.Put it together,let your kids get involved,and go have fun.And make sure you put Mopar decals on the hood scoop!!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited October 09, 1999).]
Old 10-10-1999, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I agree, who cares what it's wrapped in? It's powered by the best. You will be welcomed at the Mopar shows, it's Mopar powered! The first Mopars at Englishtown in 1986 had a 69 Camaro racing! It was 440/727/8¾ motivated! I thought *THAT* was great! "Build what you can & bracket race it," would be my advice. If you don't want to get into electronics, see if the track(s) have a "non-electronics," or "foot-brake" class.

Good luck, have fun, teach!
<font color = 990033>DB</font
Old 10-10-1999, 06:36 AM
Inactive User

I say go for it! It's whats on the inside that matters as my mom always said. I've got a better one yet. My buddy wants to put this spare 318, 904 i have into a 84 528 BMW sitting in my back yard and race it. I told him to put alot of mopar stickers on it!
Just my warped opinion.
Good luck.
Old 10-10-1999, 06:43 AM
Inactive User

I say go for it! It's whats on the inside that matters as my mom always said. I've got a better one yet. My buddy wants to put this spare 318, 904 i have into a 84 528 BMW sitting in my back yard and race it. I told him to put alot of mopar stickers on it!
Just my warped opinion.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-1999, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

At the recent Monster Mopar Weekend in St. Louis, one our favorite cars to watch was a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with a 440/727 drivetrain. This car ran in the low 11's and was capable of running much faster.

My Dad likes all cars, and his second car he ever owned was 1995 Ford such as this. His first car was a 1951 Plymouth flathead 6 he ran at the local track to times in the low 19's. He now races a 13.20 Duster, but still has favorites in many makes and models, including his dream car a 1940 Ford Coupe. I can assure all of you guys that when he gets his dream car, it will have my extra 340 (or 440 maybe) as the powerplant.

In past years at monster Mopar, I have seen a 440 powered Mustang, a 340 powered Camero, and a 340 powered T bucket. I also know of another camero with a small block mopar as well (he has Mopar performance stickers in the window). Another guy I know has a MAzda RX7 (ick) powered by a mega HP 340 (motor used to run 10's in a Duster). My wife's favorite car is a 1966 Chevy II nova, and if I ever let her have one if will definately be Mopar powered. Just think what those Chevy boys would think when they saw it!!

Anyway - Parts is parts!! As long as your out there burnin' tire - who cares!! There are no rules against any swaps or transplants such as these. If you are in doubt just pick up a 1999 NHRA Rulebook.

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited October 11, 1999).]
Old 10-11-1999, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

I would say get a mopar body & put it on your chassis if you have a tube frame car.An early 90`s lebaron might be about the size of the capri.The cost might not be too high if you do the work yourself & hire a welder to finish it.
Old 10-11-1999, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey, I've got one to add to all those non Mopar cars with Mopar power in them. I picked up a 354 Hemi for my son (I've got a 392 Hemi I'm putting in a 68 Coronet), and the kid bought a 68 El Camino to put it in! He emailed me from Kuwait where he is stationed right now and wanted to know if the Hemi would fit. I told him that it would fit in about anything he wanted it in if he wanted it bad enough. The question he needed to ask himself was if he liked the car enough to go to the trouble of putting the motor in it. Well, I guess he does, we're putting it in when he gets back in December! A 68 El Camino with an early Hemi, that should be unique!
Old 10-12-1999, 03:10 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Well guy's i'm going ahead with the project. I just wanted to see what kind of reaction i would be facing . Dartman, my dad is a mopar man but we are going to moultree Ga. in a few weeks to sell everything he now owns. He is in hopes of me trailering home him a '40 willis coupe. He wants to build him one last street rod before he retires. We have already started on his running gear. It is a '65 426 street wedge that will be blown with a hilborne injection on it. If anyone is interested in some info on the cars he has for sale e-mail me and will be glad to send it. The list is:1966 Formula "s" barracuda,1965 sport fury,1972 Demon, "oops" 1970 nova,"oops" 1956 del-ray coupe chebby. Thank you for all your input on this subject

CUDADUDE!!